Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Antwan Barnes signs with the Jets

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I don't because Barnes would look like a complete idiot by tweeting that he was a Jet before backtracking.

Also I think we would have heard by now if the deal fell through
    I dunno - considering Barnes apparent penchant for twatting, I would have thought we'd have gotten a twat that says "Its all good now - Gang Green here comes Antwan!".

Being that we haven't seen that, my guess is that it ain't done. That's not to say that it won't get done eventually, but I wouldn't count my chickens just yet. The Jets don't have good luck with dudes named Antoine/Antwan.

Just sayin'.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I dunno - considering Barnes apparent penchant for twatting, I would have thought we'd have gotten a twat that says "Its all good now - Gang Green here comes Antwan!".

Being that we haven't seen that, my guess is that it ain't done. That's not to say that it won't get done eventually, but I wouldn't count my chickens just yet. The Jets don't have good luck with dudes named Antoine/Antwan.

Just sayin'.
    Does the Winfield thing still have that impact? It was one player, for gods sakes. A CB too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Come on...

I know it will still probably come through, but I hate these Twitter teases.

The days of hitting refresh on NFL.com were pretty lame in comparison, but at least you were only dealing with facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Geez are you kidding me?! Same thing happened with Goodson, goddamn Twitter crap...
    Right over your head...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the Winfield thing still have that impact? It was one player, for gods sakes. A CB too.
    If his name was Mordechai Winfield, I'd say that there is no correlation at all (I would also say that that is quite a unique name). But the fact that they have the same name is very disconcerting indeed. Some might say cosmic.

I'm scared.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Farkin' twitter. Athletes should be banned from it by their agents.

How can you think you are signed when you are not? Did you sign your name at the bottom of a big piece of paper? No? Well, you are not under contract yet so you probably shouldn't tweet about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Farkin' twitter. Athletes should be banned from it by their agents.

How can you think you are signed when you are not? Did you sign your name at the bottom of a big piece of paper? No? Well, you are not under contract yet so you probably shouldn't tweet about it.
    Fans should read instead of falling for another fans sarcasm

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Antwan Barnes agrees to 3-year deal with Jets. The details: 900K to sign. $1.2M in Year 2. $1.2M in Year 3. Incentives in Years 2&3. #nyj

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

Antwan Barnes agrees to 3-year deal with Jets. The details: 900K to sign. $1.2M in Year 2. $1.2M in Year 3. Incentives in Years 2&3. #nyj
    Now thatís cheap...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

Love those numbers, leaves room for an aggressive run at Butler and mid-level veteran presence at safety. Maybe another OL as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

Good news. Hope the Jets are still going after Butler also. That would be a promising pass-rush combo.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

woah what a steal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy the signing is official!!! Now let's go get Butler and Pollard (or Dawan Landry since it was reported that the Jets have interest).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Now thatís cheap...
    Great deal. If he's capable of starting, we got a steal. Even if he is just a backup and DPR, it's still good value. Terrific signing for the money.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    It's official:

Looks like a nice deal. But am I missing something or do we not have the year 1 base salary there?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a nice deal. But am I missing something or do we not have the year 1 base salary there?
    Given the numbers the 900k IS probably the base salary for year 1.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @BrianCoz: Barnes gets $1.65 million in 2013, $1.2 in 2014, $1.2 in 2015. Salary can go up to $2 million in both '14 and '15 with escalators. #nyj

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Great deal. If he's capable of starting, we got a steal. Even if he is just a backup and DPR, it's still good value. Terrific signing for the money.
    Can't argue with signing Barnes to a reasonable contract. I am a little concerned at this early point about our ability to defend the run, though. In general, I'm not crying a river over any of the defensive players we lost in FA. Collectively, however, they were all pretty good run stoppers (Devito, Pouha, Landry, even Thomas and Scott). So far the players we've replaced them with (Garay, and now Barnes) are better at pass rushing from their positions.

We're going to need young players like Coples, Ellis, and Davis to really step up their run stuffing games, and maybe Barnes (and hopefully Butler) will be better against the run than advertised.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per @BrianCoz it's $1.65M + 900K signing bonus for 2013, $1.2M in 2014 and 2015 but both of those years could escalate up to $2M based on statistics.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think i'll wait till it's official by someone other then Spamish before I believe it., but it's a great deal if it's true! Thank You Brian Coz!
    Last edited by joiseyjet; 03-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Can't argue with signing Barnes to a reasonable contract. I am a little concerned at this early point about our ability to defend the run, though. In general, I'm not crying a river over any of the defensive players we lost in FA. Collectively, however, they were all pretty good run stoppers (Devito, Pouha, Landry, even Thomas and Scott). So far the players we've replaced them with (Garay, and now Barnes) are better at pass rushing from their positions.

We're going to need young players like Coples, Ellis, and Davis to really step up their run stuffing games, and maybe Barnes (and hopefully Butler) will be better against the run than advertised.
    Agreed, but you have to hope the Davis/Harris speed/size tandem in the middle is going to get it done against the run better than the Scott/Harris combo, especially if you get decent NT play on 1st and 2nd downs by Ellis/Harrison/FA/draft pick. I've been saying for a while the personnel on the Jets dictates that swapping a big safety for one of the linebackers is the best move in a lot of situations. Giants had success covering up the deficiencies of their terrible linebacker corps by using a lot of three safety looks.