Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 124

Thread: Antwan Barnes signs with the Jets

  1. #101
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    It's official:

    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Antwan Barnes agrees to 3-year deal with Jets. The details: 900K to sign. $1.2M in Year 2. $1.2M in Year 3. Incentives in Years 2&3. #nyj
    That is tremendous.

  2. #102
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini:

    Quick thoughts on the Jets' signing of former Chargers OLB Antwan Barnes, who landed a three-year, $4 million contract:

    1. FILLS A NEED: The Jets have gaping holes at outside linebacker. They cut Calvin Pace in a cap-related move and they're not planning to re-sign Bryan Thomas, leaving Garrett McIntyre and Ricky Sapp. Get the picture? Barnes could compete for a starting job, but he's best suited to a situational role as a pass rusher. He's done that his entire career. This won't preclude the Jets from picking an outside linebacker with the ninth overall pick, a decent possibility.

    2. ANOTHER INJURED GUY: Barnes ended last season on the Chargers' injured-reserve list. Detect a trend? New GM John Idzik is signing players (at low cost) with injury histories. G Willie Colon missed most of the last three seasons, DT Antonio Garay suffered five season-ending injuries and QB David Garrard missed the last two years with back and knee injuries. The Jets' five free-agent signings played a combined total of only 43 games last season. It's a risky way to do business, but Idzik isn't paying for starting-caliber players here. He's trying to build depth. The only addition likely to start is Colon -- if healthy.

    3. QUARTERBACK HUNTER: Getting to the quarterback isn't a foreign concept to Barnes, who has 23.5 career sacks in 78 games. His best year, not even close, was 2011. In 273 pass-rushing opportunities in '11, he was credited with 11 sacks and 29 quarterback hurries, according to ProFootballFocus.com. His numbers dropped way down last seaosn -- 140, three and 10, respectively. Part of that decline could be attributed to injuries; he also lost some playing time to No. 1 pick Melvin Ingram. Barnes played only 182 defensive snaps (17 percent) last season.

    4. SCHEME FAMILIARITY: It should be an easy transition for Barnes because he's familiar with the Rex Ryan system. He played under Ryan and new defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman with the Ravens. He knows them, they know him. That helps a lot.

    5. SCOUT'S VIEW: Here is what an AFC scout had to say about Barnes signing with the Jets: "He's an undersized edge-rusher type. His base defensive position will be outside linebacker, but I think he has more value in the sub than the base. I wouldn't hang my hat on the guy as a starter. He's more of a contributor, but in their situation, he may fall into it. I think if it's all lined up correctly, he's in the sub package."

  3. #103
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    They just said on NFLN that Ansah is believed to be 28 years old instead of 23.

    If true, he can wave bye bye to the 1st round.
    @TonyPauline: Copy of Ziggy Ansah's passport texted to me, with photo, sig and seal, shows DOB of 5/29/1989. Age "story" coming out of Miami. Hmmmmm.

  4. #104
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @TonyPauline: Copy of Ziggy Ansah's passport texted to me, with photo, sig and seal, shows DOB of 5/29/1989. Age "story" coming out of Miami. Hmmmmm.
    REMINDS me when the Dolphins put the Story out Marino was a Coke Head

  5. #105
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    That is tremendous.
    That is a very good signing. Still young coming off 2 good years and we get a bargain IMO. Huge upgrade over Pace IMO.

  6. #106
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    @vikes42: Now its official#jetnation http://t.co/E0yb8OOoHR

  7. #107
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    He has more sack potential than any of those guys and he is a safer pick as well.
    Exactly. Jarvis Jones is the safest pick by far and the best pass rusher of them all. If he got us 10 sacks or more in a season that would be fantastic. Having a speed rusher like Barnes on the other side would be great synergy and opportunities for all. Hope the Jets get more passrushing OLB's in FA/draft. Man if the Jets could get Dumervil on a 1year contract for cheap....

  8. #108
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets sign former Chargers OLB Antwan Barnes | NJ.com


    Around 1:30 Monday afternoon, outside linebacker Antwan Barnes announced that, after a few days of deliberation, he had chosen the Jets as his destination in free agency.

    He thanked head coach Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman and general manager John Idzik (or as Barnes spelled it on Twitter, Idzilk) in a post on his official page that was re-tweeted more than 270 times.

    A few minutes later, though, Barnes had to back track. The deal was not yet official.

    A new post read: “Wait a minute...not official yet...in talks now...#letsgetadealdone.”

    Hours passed, and eventually the Jets made the deal official. Barnes, playing along, posted a photo of himself signing all the documents.

    In whatever roundabout way it happened, the Jets managed to secure themselves an established pass-rusher who fit in line with Idzik’s razor-thin budget.

    According to multiple reports, Barnes, 28, will earn roughly $4 million over three years, with a chance at multiple escalators that could bring the contract up to $6 million.

    An original draft pick of Ryan and Thurman’s in Baltimore (fourth round, 2007) Barnes has 23 ˝ career sacks, including 11 in one season back in 2011. That season stood as a bit of an anomaly as his production dwindled in 2012. The Jets will be his fourth team, after the Ravens, Eagles and Chargers.

    Barnes, who, at the least will be a pass-rushing specialist, will be able to help fill a void left behind by Calvin Pace (cut) and Bryan Thomas, who will not be re-signed, on the outside.

    * * *

    After locking up kicker Nick Folk over the weekend, the Jets re-signed his long snapper, Tanner Purdum.

    The team announced the deal this afternoon. According to Purdum's agent, Rob Roche, the deal is for two years.

    Purdum will be the second long snapper on the Jets roster heading into training camp, which has been a common practice through the years. Travis Tripucka, a Mountain Lakes High grad and former St. Louis Rams practice squad member, is also currently on the roster and will likely serve as a camp body.

    Purdum has been with the Jets for the past three seasons.

    * * *

    According to the Chicago Tribune, the Jets have expressed interest in former Bears tight end Kellen Davis. Davis, 27, had 19 receptions for 229 yards and two touchdowns last season in Chicago.

  9. #109
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    can we bring in victor butler now please?!!

  10. #110
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Can't argue with signing Barnes to a reasonable contract. I am a little concerned at this early point about our ability to defend the run, though. In general, I'm not crying a river over any of the defensive players we lost in FA. Collectively, however, they were all pretty good run stoppers (Devito, Pouha, Landry, even Thomas and Scott). So far the players we've replaced them with (Garay, and now Barnes) are better at pass rushing from their positions.

    We're going to need young players like Coples, Ellis, and Davis to really step up their run stuffing games, and maybe Barnes (and hopefully Butler) will be better against the run than advertised.
    Harris and Ellis are the keys to our run defense this year. I think Harris played hurt last season (like Pouha) and will have a bounce back season.

  11. #111
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Exactly. Jarvis Jones is the safest pick by far and the best pass rusher of them all. If he got us 10 sacks or more in a season that would be fantastic. Having a speed rusher like Barnes on the other side would be great synergy and opportunities for all. Hope the Jets get more passrushing OLB's in FA/draft. Man if the Jets could get Dumervil on a 1year contract for cheap....
    We are on a collision course with Jarvis Jones which is fine with me and any half-way knowledgeable Jets fan. If it wasn't for the stenosis Jones would probably be a top 3 pick in this draft because pass rushing OLB's are in such an extremely high demand in today's NFL. The kid can rush the passer and make players like Barnes and McIntyre look better on the other side. Book is out on Warmack and how good he is so he probably doesn't make it to 9 neither does Star.


    The Stenosis does not scare me. Marcus McNeill had the same condition and was a very good LT for about 6 years before retiring. In today's NFL 6 years is an eternity.

  12. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    We are on a collision course with Jarvis Jones which is fine with me and any half-way knowledgeable Jets fan. If it wasn't for the stenosis Jones would probably be a top 3 pick in this draft because pass rushing OLB's are in such an extremely high demand in today's NFL. The kid can rush the passer and make players like Barnes and McIntyre look better on the other side. Book is out on Warmack and how good he is so he probably doesn't make it to 9 neither does Star.


    The Stenosis does not scare me. Marcus McNeill had the same condition and was a very good LT for about 6 years before retiring. In today's NFL 6 years is an eternity.
    agree at this point. geno smith will be gone at 9.

  13. #113
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Exactly. Jarvis Jones is the safest pick by far and the best pass rusher of them all. If he got us 10 sacks or more in a season that would be fantastic. Having a speed rusher like Barnes on the other side would be great synergy and opportunities for all. Hope the Jets get more passrushing OLB's in FA/draft. Man if the Jets could get Dumervil on a 1year contract for cheap....
    I'd love to have Jones but his spinal stenosis makes him less than a "safe bet".

    In fact, picking him scares the sh*t out of me after reading how many guys never play or end up retiring early when the have this condition.

    I know he got a good medical report but I would like a second opinion. I tried looking up the doctor he used and I can't find out much about him. I kept seeing "leading orthopedist Craig Brigham". I wanted to see if he had a Dr. James Andrews type reputation but I can't find one.

    Not that internet reviews mean a lot but the ones I have found about the guy are less than glowing.

    So it's got me wondering if he was doctor shopping to get the diagnosis he wanted.

    Anyone know anything about this doc?

  14. #114
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,846
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Love those numbers, leaves room for an aggressive run at Butler and mid-level veteran presence at safety..



    jarrius byrd, safety
    formerly of the buffalo mozzarellas

  15. #115
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Confederacy
    Posts
    12,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Jets sign former Chargers OLB Antwan Barnes | NJ.com

    An original draft pick of Ryan and Thurman’s in Baltimore (fourth round, 2007) Barnes has 23 ˝ career sacks, including 11 in one season back in 2011. That season stood as a bit of an anomaly as his production dwindled in 2012. The Jets will be his fourth team, after the Ravens, Eagles and Chargers.
    And Rex has no clue how to spot talent....

    GREAT job with that contract! We've done a LOT better than I thought we'd be able to with the mess TannenBum left!

  16. #116
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    jarrius byrd, safety
    formerly of the buffalo mozzarellas
    He got the franchise tag on March 1st...

  17. #117
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not expect a whole lot from the Jets on the field in 2013 but I am starting to feel that this team will compete and be a pain in the butt for other teams....they will be younger and faster and NO ONE is expecting anything from them.....this is going to be a fun season...rare to say that after coming off a season with so much idiotic turmoil....those days are gone.

  18. #118
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm glad we got a situational pass rusher, I thought that was a need for a long time. But as I already stated he is only a situational pass rusher. This still leaves gaping holes for 1st and 2nd down in the linebacking corp. Hopefully, we can get the Cowboys OLB there, his name escapes me.

    But it does appear that the team is going to have to get serious about filling some of these holes. Everyone is celebrating Idzik and all the cost cutting he's doing. That's all well and good. But the true measure of a GM is what he opts to do to fill back up the roster. I mean there is this thing called the regular season and we do have to play 16 games. We actually have to have a total team to field, not just pieces. It also goes to common sense that the fans will demand a good product. Any realistic fan is not expecting the SB this season, but they would probably expect the playoffs. Next year? They'll be back expecting SB again.

    So, for me at least, I'm thinking that the cost cutting at this point should be almost done. I would love for Idzik to go after David Harris to restructure. If the team could get that contract restructured, they could actually go out and secure one very good player w/ no injury history through FA.

    Then, he's going to need to get more active and add some players that can be counted on.

  19. #119
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,562
    Post Thanks / Like
    but that is exactly what he is doing.....keep in mind the draft is coming....you speak about gaping holes....a few weeks ago many posters on this board were acting as though the jets would be going 3-13 in 2013....the players that idzik has brought in can all start...this of course is not a long term solution, but bringing in sound starting caliber veterans is a great move....couple that with the influx of up and coming rookies....it has the making of a good mixture. I agree with you but at this point I have a great deal of faith in how Idzik is handling things.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I'm glad we got a situational pass rusher, I thought that was a need for a long time. But as I already stated he is only a situational pass rusher. This still leaves gaping holes for 1st and 2nd down in the linebacking corp. Hopefully, we can get the Cowboys OLB there, his name escapes me.

    But it does appear that the team is going to have to get serious about filling some of these holes. Everyone is celebrating Idzik and all the cost cutting he's doing. That's all well and good. But the true measure of a GM is what he opts to do to fill back up the roster. I mean there is this thing called the regular season and we do have to play 16 games. We actually have to have a total team to field, not just pieces. It also goes to common sense that the fans will demand a good product. Any realistic fan is not expecting the SB this season, but they would probably expect the playoffs. Next year? They'll be back expecting SB again.

    So, for me at least, I'm thinking that the cost cutting at this point should be almost done. I would love for Idzik to go after David Harris to restructure. If the team could get that contract restructured, they could actually go out and secure one very good player w/ no injury history through FA.

    Then, he's going to need to get more active and add some players that can be counted on.

  20. #120
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    but that is exactly what he is doing.....keep in mind the draft is coming....you speak about gaping holes....a few weeks ago many posters on this board were acting as though the jets would be going 3-13 in 2013....the players that idzik has brought in can all start...this of course is not a long term solution, but bringing in sound starting caliber veterans is a great move....couple that with the influx of up and coming rookies....it has the making of a good mixture. I agree with you but at this point I have a great deal of faith in how Idzik is handling things.
    That's true that the players he picked can start with the exception of Barnes. He's been a situational pass rusher since he's been in the league. So he's not an every down player.

    But really the point I'm making is that all of the players Idzik has picked up come with the caveat of being injury prone. Injury history is a huge factor when picking up players. So although I do like what he's done so far, I would prefer to see some more players come out of FA that do not extensive injury histories.

    This is really about putting the team in a bad spot. As everyone knows the NFL is a war of attrition. The teams that stay most healthy, and have the entire regular season to build chemistry normally go farther in the playoffs.

    Everyone also knows that when you get an injury bug, it really only takes a couple of players at key positions to sabotage an entire season. It happens, and it has happened to the Jets several times over the years.

    The problem I see here is that with all the statements I just made, do you really want to go into the regular season taking a gamble with so many players that extensive injury histories?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us