Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Antwan Barnes signs with the Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, is all I can say. This signing gives them a lot of flexibility in the first round. They would have been forced to take the bpa pass rusher.

If the jets continue to sign these low cost, low risk players with big upside, training camp is going to be brewing with battles. No one is assured a thing by their contract, and they have the opportunity to start. Going to set the tone for camp in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And another low key, very good signing. Numerous things of note:
    - Rex knows him from his days in Baltimore and we know his eye for defensive talent.
    - He had 11 sacks in 2011 even though he only started five games. Always has been a fairly productive pass rusher.

Propably not a starter but a good rotation player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antwan Barnes ‏@vikes42
    Wait a minute...not official yet...in talks now...#letsgetadealdone

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Antwan Barnes ‏@vikes42
    LOL, of course

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Barnes, he's a good pass rusher and defiantly not a Maybin clone.

It concerns me that we prob wont get Butler now!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antwan Barnes ‏@vikes42
    Come on...

I know it will still probably come through, but I hate these Twitter teases.

The days of hitting refresh on NFL.com were pretty lame in comparison, but at least you were only dealing with facts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    LOL, of course
    The fact that he himself jumped the gun on his own signing tells me that its going to get done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Antwan Barnes ‏@vikes42
    Geez are you kidding me?! Same thing happened with Goodson, goddamn Twitter crap...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Geez are you kidding me?! Same thing happened with Goodson, goddamn Twitter crap...
    The difference is that Barnes himself was the original source.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I like Barnes, he's a good pass rusher and defiantly not a Maybin clone.

It concerns me that we prob wont get Butler now!!
    Yeah I would really like to add Butler aswell. He to me is a more complete player. But with Barnes now on board it lessens the pressure with Butler and we are not risking having none of the two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference is that Barnes himself was the original source.
    Well with Goodson it was his brother... still kinda stupid if you ask me even though in the end he will sign anyways...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Not trying to turn this into a draft discussion, but I think Jones has the most "sack potential" out of any of these guys day 1 if he's healthy. The others could develop into nice OLBs but Jones is basically ready to beast out as long as his spine stays together.
    Jones doesn't have the most sack potential... He doesn't have any type of next level speed. Despite not being a bigger guy he definitely has good playing strength.

Ansah has next level potential because of his hips... They are very similar to JPP. Perfect examples were in the senior bowl.

Jordan has next level potential because of everything. The guy could really hit 20 sacks if he stays healthy.

Mingo could hit a bunch of sacks due to his speed as well, but he's not the strongest guy and he doesn't really commit to a complete pass rush everytime, but would rather just knock the ball down.

Jones is not the biggest guy, certainly not as quick or fast as Mingo and Jordan but he does pack a punch for his size. He's likely to not bust, but he's also likely to never hit 14 sacks. His best case scenario is around the 10 number.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
    Checked in with Antwan Barnes' agent @NFL_Bridge to see whether the deal w/ NYJ is done or not. Said he's having fax issues. He was joking.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Jones doesn't have the most sack potential... He doesn't have any type of next level speed. Despite not being a bigger guy he definitely has good playing strength.

Ansah has next level potential because of his hips... They are very similar to JPP. Perfect examples were in the senior bowl.

Jordan has next level potential because of everything. The guy could really hit 20 sacks if he stays healthy.

Mingo could hit a bunch of sacks due to his speed as well, but he's not the strongest guy and he doesn't really commit to a complete pass rush everytime, but would rather just knock the ball down.

Jones is not the biggest guy, certainly not as quick or fast as Mingo and Jordan but he does pack a punch for his size. He's likely to not bust, but he's also likely to never hit 14 sacks. His best case scenario is around the 10 number.
    LOL great then lets draft him.... Im not being sarcastic I dont pay great attention to college football so I'm not sure. How fluid is he, I know he is 6'7, seems absurdly tall. Also seems rail thin, and obviously I mean compared to your prototypical 3-4 OLB, you think he would be able to play the run well at his weight? Or would he be a designated pass rusher like a Bruce Irvin?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Yeah I would really like to add Butler aswell. He to me is a more complete player. But with Barnes now on board it lessens the pressure with Butler and we are not risking having none of the two.
    Yeah I would to, I think the reason I am gettin a chub over Butler is his age and the fact he learnt his trade behind two pro bowlers.

Give me Butler and Heyward-bey and my optimism for next season will be through the roof.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    They just said on NFLN that Ansah is believed to be 28 years old instead of 23.

If true, he can wave bye bye to the 1st round.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    He may not be the every down OLB that we need but he definitely is one of the pass rushers we need. Great pick up. It's nice to see the Jets FO building depth on the roster, something the last regime failed to do the past couple of years.

Garrard, Colon, Goodson, Garay and now Barnes are all guys who could possible play a valuable role on this team in 2013. And most likely all for very cheap (don't know what Barnes contract is yet). The FO is doing a great job maximizing the cost/benefit theory.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Yeah that will hurt him quite a bit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    He may not be the every down OLB that we need but he definitely is one of the pass rushers we need. Great pick up. It's nice to see the Jets FO building depth on the roster, something the last regime failed to do the past couple of years.

Garrard, Colon, Goodson, Garay and now Barnes are all guys who could possible play a valuable role on this team in 2013. And most likely all for very cheap (don't know what Barnes contract is yet). The FO is doing a great job maximizing the cost/benefit theory.
    the Dartmouth math major knows what he's doing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Seriously???