Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 124 of 124

Thread: Antwan Barnes signs with the Jets

  1. #121
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I'm glad we got a situational pass rusher, I thought that was a need for a long time. But as I already stated he is only a situational pass rusher. This still leaves gaping holes for 1st and 2nd down in the linebacking corp. Hopefully, we can get the Cowboys OLB there, his name escapes me.

    But it does appear that the team is going to have to get serious about filling some of these holes. Everyone is celebrating Idzik and all the cost cutting he's doing. That's all well and good. But the true measure of a GM is what he opts to do to fill back up the roster. I mean there is this thing called the regular season and we do have to play 16 games. We actually have to have a total team to field, not just pieces. It also goes to common sense that the fans will demand a good product. Any realistic fan is not expecting the SB this season, but they would probably expect the playoffs. Next year? They'll be back expecting SB again.

    So, for me at least, I'm thinking that the cost cutting at this point should be almost done. I would love for Idzik to go after David Harris to restructure. If the team could get that contract restructured, they could actually go out and secure one very good player w/ no injury history through FA.

    Then, he's going to need to get more active and add some players that can be counted on.
    What?? Playoffs?? I just want a team I can be proud of and the last two years have been awful for me. I want all the dead weight gone like Santonio and his attitude. Also Revis and his asinine demands. This team has made some small moves and brought in some players who have been really productive when on the field. They all have some type of injury concern, but they will all be given a chance to compete. And competition brings out the best in everyone so I as a fan am excited to see what they bring and I have no expectations this year. Our best teams have always gotten real slow real fast and now we will be younger and faster for many years to come. Excited about the new OC and Rex calling the defense will make a difference too. I would expect playoffs possibly in '14 and SB chance in '15 and that's all I can ask. I just can't cheer for players like Santonio or Revis anymore. I want guys who want to be here and love playing for this team.

  2. #122
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    What?? Playoffs?? I just want a team I can be proud of and the last two years have been awful for me. I want all the dead weight gone like Santonio and his attitude. Also Revis and his asinine demands. This team has made some small moves and brought in some players who have been really productive when on the field. They all have some type of injury concern, but they will all be given a chance to compete. And competition brings out the best in everyone so I as a fan am excited to see what they bring and I have no expectations this year. Our best teams have always gotten real slow real fast and now we will be younger and faster for many years to come. Excited about the new OC and Rex calling the defense will make a difference too. I would expect playoffs possibly in '14 and SB chance in '15 and that's all I can ask. I just can't cheer for players like Santonio or Revis anymore. I want guys who want to be here and love playing for this team.
    I could not be proud of the team unless they make the playoffs. So if they don't make the playoffs, how could you be proud of them? I know I wouldn't.

  3. #123
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I could not be proud of the team unless they make the playoffs. So if they don't make the playoffs, how could you be proud of them? I know I wouldn't.
    You can be proud of the team while still missing the playoffs if you think the team is moving in the right direction. There is nothing wrong with taking a year or two to rebuild and change philosophies. The Jets needed to tear it down this year, I have no issue what so ever in watching a 5-11 season if I feel the team is heading in the right direction.

  4. #124
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can be proud of the team while still missing the playoffs if you think the team is moving in the right direction. There is nothing wrong with taking a year or two to rebuild and change philosophies. The Jets needed to tear it down this year, I have no issue what so ever in watching a 5-11 season if I feel the team is heading in the right direction.
    Well, I see things slightly different than you do. If this team rebuilding completely, they wouldn't have a legitimate LT that still has good years left in him. They wouldn't have, IMO, the best Center in the league. They wouldn't have two very good up and coming talents along the DL. They also wouldn't have a generational type player at CB.

    That team would be rebuilding from scratch pretty much.

    I don't see that as being the case with the Jets. And as you recall, it was the foundation of all of those players I just mentioned pretty much that got us to two AFCCG's.

    So if we still have pretty much the same foundation, why can't we do it again?

    I believe after this salary cap purge we have going on, we could quickly be back in contention if Idzik plays his cards right. Another great FA period like the Jets had in 2008. I believe that is possible. After this season, the Jets will have ton of cap space. Some good, sound drafts by Idzik and we could easily be back in contention.

    So based on my own thinking, I think the expectations should be slightly higher. Repair the OL, add a RB, use FA to get some good reliable veterans for defense and offense and this team could easily sneak into the playoffs. JMO.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us