Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin at 9

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Seattle's drafting has been..unorthodox in the time Idzik was there. Would not be surprised if Austin is the pick for us, because when Seattle likes a guy in round one (irvin and carpenter come to mind) they have taken him, to hell with people's value charts.

Speaking of Carpenter, an Alabama guard....hmmm who do we know like that in this draft.

I don't know how much rubbed off on Idzik because obviously the seahawks GM had the final call, but if I had to bet I think we take Austin at 9 and Warmack at 13.
    With those 2 in the 1st & our 2nd & 3rd picks still to come, I say Mel Kiper gives the Jets an A+ after the 1st round, lol.
    That would be the start of a great draft!
    Honestly, I think if the Jets do in fact get #13 from the Bucs, Idzik will trade back if he has a chance.
    There are so many combinations that the Jets need & a lot to pick from in the 1st 20 picks.

I wouldn't totally be against it (if Smith is off the board), but I see Austin as having a somewhat similar skill set to Kerley. Granted, he's far more explosive and will be the better pro, but they are both short slot receivers that can be used as return men or in wildcat packages. With how Kerley developed last season, I can't say that taking Austin at #9 makes a whole lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I wouldn't totally be against it (if Smith is off the board), but I see Austin as having a somewhat similar skill set to Kerley. Granted, he's far more explosive and will be the better pro, but they are both short slot receivers that can be used as return men or in wildcat packages. With how Kerley developed last season, I can't say that taking Austin at #9 makes a whole lot of sense.
    We can manipulate Austin all over the field effectively, that's the biggest difference between the two guys. We can put him in the slot, put him in the backfield, put him in motion, etc. He also has the breakaway speed that Kerley lacks. I love Kerley, but he should have had at least two more TDs last year if he hadn't been caught from behind.

If the Revis trade goes through, I'd be ecstatic to have Austin as one of our two first round picks.

All Pro
    Wow... it's like a tiger beat party in here.

You gentlemen, have some drastically distorted views about Austin and his projected NFL role, and production. He's going to be limited by all kinds of things, namely the system/offense he plays in. For the Jets, he'll fair no better than Kerley. In NE, he'd look like all star. He's not cobb, he's not harvin.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

You gentlemen, have some drastically distorted views about Austin and his projected NFL role, and production. He's going to be limited by all kinds of things, namely the system/offense he plays in. For the Jets, he'll fair no better than Kerley. In NE, he'd look like all star. He's not cobb, he's not harvin.
    Thank you for a dose of reality. To an elite offensive team, he would be a nice addition. For the Jets to take him would amount to squandering a high pick they can't afford. That would be a Matt Millen move, if ever there was one.

No, he would be worlds better than Kerley.

Kerley ran a 4.56
    Austin ran a 3.34

Austin can be used all over the place, out, slot, HB, screens. YAC monster.

It doesn't matter what team Austin lands on bc he is to small to play wr in the nfl. Dexter McCluster is the perfect example of what to expect frm Austin.. Put it to u this way Tavon Austin is no Miles Austin!!! just sayin

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Kerley ran a 4.56
    Austin ran a 3.34

Just, no.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    It doesn't matter what team Austin lands on bc he is to small to play wr in the nfl. Dexter McCluster is the perfect example of what to expect frm Austin.. Put it to u this way Tavon Austin is no Miles Austin!!! just sayin
    Unbelievable - the cartoon kid actually gets it!

Kerley ran a 4.56
    Austin ran a 3.34

Almost as fast as Superman

Unbelievable - the cartoon kid actually gets it!
    So...does your approval mean I'm a real person yet??

I'm back (prison)... whatever who gives a sh*t. I like Austin, but he's too much of a risk at his size. In my lowlife opinion, DeAndre Hopkins is the best receiver coming out this year.

All Pro
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...ated-prospects

Tavon Austin is #1 on Bucky Brooks' list of over-rated draft prospects.

The hottest prospect in the 2013 draft has been on a meteoric climb up the charts since putting on a spectacular showing at the NFL Scouting Combine. Austin's 4.34 speed (in the 40-yard dash) and remarkable change-of-direction quickness (4.01 short shuttle) complemented an impressive résumé tape that showcased his versatility as a receiver/running back/returner at West Virginia. This combination of skills, playmaking and explosiveness has fostered comparisons to Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson from coaches and scouts around the league.

Now, I definitely see the similarities in playing styles, but neither Harvin nor Jackson has made a significant impact as a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. (Harvin has never posted a 1,000-yard season, while Jackson has only surpassed the mark twice in five years.) And there haven't been many 5-foot-8, 174-pound receivers who have taken the league by storm. That's why I can't fully endorse Austin's rise as a potential top-10 pick, despite his ability to score touchdowns from anywhere on the field. The NFL remains a big man's game, and it's hard for a diminutive pass catcher to function as a legitimate No. 1 receiver in the league. I believe Austin can be an explosive complementary player, but you don't take role players early in the draft.

All Pro
    Yup

Definitely disagree.

Kerley got caught by defenders all the time. He also doesn't have the ability to use his speed to burst past people. They are 2 different players athletically.

Austin is far more explosive, better cuts, YAC ability, shake off defenders, faster, and probably stronger as well.

I see Desean Jackson with his head on straight.

Just, no.

Once again, instead of just saying no, give an explanation.

All Pro
    Definitely disagree.

Kerley got caught by defenders all the time. He also doesn't have the ability to use his speed to burst past people. They are 2 different players athletically.

Austin is far more explosive, better cuts, YAC ability, shake off defenders, faster, and probably stronger as well.

I see Desean Jackson with his head on straight.
    But is a DeSean Jackson type player worthy of the #9 pick in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    But is a DeSean Jackson type player worthy of the #9 pick in the draft?
    That's where I can see your point. I see him being a DeSean Jackson with a head on right, and I would take him at 13, not really 9.

I feel that he's a sure thing to be a DeSean player at LEAST. I see a low floor with him. Worthy of 13? I'm not sold, but I would be happy with the pick.

That's where I can see your point. I see him being a DeSean Jackson with a head on right, and I would take him at 13, not really 9.

I feel that he's a sure thing to be a DeSean player at LEAST. I see a low floor with him. Worthy of 13? I'm not sold, but I would be happy with the pick.
    he's a guy you want but don't want to take the risk he busts b/c the i told you sos are coming. for some reason it's easier to justify taking a guy like mingo or ansah at 9 despite concerns over these guys than it is to take austin, mainly b/c of austin's size.

yet, if buffalo takes him and he torches the jets as i've said before we'll all be lamenting on this board on monday why the jets never seem to get those guys.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he's a guy you want but don't want to take the risk he busts b/c the i told you sos are coming. for some reason it's easier to justify taking a guy like mingo or ansah at 9 despite concerns over these guys than it is to take austin, mainly b/c of austin's size.

yet, if buffalo takes him and he torches the jets as i've said before we'll all be lamenting on this board on monday why the jets never seem to get those guys.
    I think if you have a legit #1 WR but no-one any good at #2, you can justify an early pick for Austin. So a team like Detroit or Arizona (aside from more glaring needs elsewhere). Then he'll make plays in his own right AND take some coverage away from the #1 guy.

Jets already have a host of #2 WR's, and if we do pick a WR we really need to be trying to get a #1 guy, not another #2.