Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin at 9

Tavon Austin at 9

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Walt has put Tavon Austin at #9 for the first time this offseason, and I have to say that I agree with it. Since there's really no surefire QB, RB, WR that should go at that spot and there's a good chance we'd miss out on guys like Ansah and Jordan, why not take a shot with Austin at 9?

Our offense is completely devoid of playmakers, and having Austin on the field threatening runs, reverses and quick slants could give our offense a new dimension.

I know everyone is clamoring for a 3-4 OLB with the first pick, and if Jordan or Ansah were there, I think one of them would be the pick. But, this draft is actually quite impressive for OLB depth, so you could very easily get a guy like Jamie Collins, Philip Lemonier, Brandon Jenkins, Sio Moore, etc. I know we've lost starters on D, but offense has been a problem on this team for years and this would go a long way toward changing that.

So if we went Austin at #9, I would want the rest of the draft to go...
    2. OLB
    3. TE
    4. S
    5-7. OL, QB, CB

If the Revis trade goes through, then we should take a flyer on a QB earlier and go for more CB depth, but I think for right now we need to upgrade our skill positions on offense, patch the holes on D and build an offense that could show growth in 2013 and could take off in 2014.

with MM running the offense, he may want a desean jackson type guy.

i believe the jets are drafting offense in the first two rounds. possibly nassib in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    with MM running the offense, he may want a desean jackson type guy.

i believe the jets are drafting offense in the first two rounds. possibly nassib in the 2nd.
    As much as I want a big-time pass rusher, going defense for the third year in a row with the 1st rounder isn't the right course of action. There's no can't-miss RB or QB, and we drafted a WR with size last year in Stephen Hill. We have needed a burner for years in Tavon Austin, while admittedly undersized, has that true gamebreaking potential that we've missed.

The defense has major holes at OLB and S, but I think fixing the offense is the bigger priority heading into the draft, whether it's Sanchez or someone else at the helm.

All Pro
    Don't like it.

It's an offseason reactionary pick. He's NOT the best player available, and Austin is not the kind of playmaker this team is missing. We've got enough undersized guys on salary.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    As much as I want a big-time pass rusher, going defense for the third year in a row with the 1st rounder isn't the right course of action. There's no can't-miss RB or QB, and we drafted a WR with size last year in Stephen Hill. We have needed a burner for years in Tavon Austin, while admittedly undersized, has that true gamebreaking potential that we've missed.

The defense has major holes at OLB and S, but I think fixing the offense is the bigger priority heading into the draft, whether it's Sanchez or someone else at the helm.
    after wilson, wilk and coples, it would be the 4th yr in a row.

All Pro
    Not to mention Hopkins is just a flat out better receiver and is much better bang for your buck.

Austin will at best be work the slot like welker. That's his ceiling. I'd be more than willing to wager that as a pro, his partner Bailey will have a better NFL career. I like the way his skillset translates.

i think the jets would be happy to trade back and then draft an offensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Not to mention Hopkins is just a flat out better receiver and is much better bang for your buck.

Austin will at best be work the slot like welker. That's his ceiling. I'd be more than willing to wager that as a pro, his partner Bailey will have a better NFL career. I like the way his skillset translates.
    Trust me, you're making perfect sense here, but I just feel like it's a no-man's land at No. 9, kind of like the year we drafted Gholston. Austin instantly upgrades the return game, always gives the offense a dynamic option on screens, reverses and runs, and will be a perfect safety valve in the slot position.

I was trying to articulate this to a friend the other day - it makes sense to go with a player like Austin rather than a guy like Patterson considering our QB situation. Adding Austin provides you with so many wrinkles to an offense that will be admittedly handicapped by subpar QB play, whereas picking up a conventional receiver like Patterson or Allen in that spot won't have the same kind of immediate impact.

Trust me, you're making perfect sense here, but I just feel like it's a no-man's land at No. 9, kind of like the year we drafted Gholston. Austin instantly upgrades the return game, always gives the offense a dynamic option on screens, reverses and runs, and will be a perfect safety valve in the slot position.

I was trying to articulate this to a friend the other day - it makes sense to go with a player like Austin rather than a guy like Patterson considering our QB situation. Adding Austin provides you with so many wrinkles to an offense that will be admittedly handicapped by subpar QB play, whereas picking up a conventional receiver like Patterson or Allen in that spot won't have the same kind of immediate impact.
    disagree on patterson, as he has homerun skills, though he's taller and not as elusive.

i think the decision may be at 9, whether they think the olbs on the board are considerably more risky than taking a wr there. i don't think warmack will be in the conversation. and fair or not, the fact the jets have drafted 3 defensive players in the last 3 first rounds and have an anemic offense will factor into the pick. the team needs weapons/playmakers, and woody wants to generate excitement again.

austin is the type of guy who many jet fans would be bummed if they took. yet, if buffalo or miami took him, there would be numerous threads on JI about how austin is going to crap all over the jets 2x/yr. why can't the jets have randall cobb, rather than the other team?

All Pro
    Trust me, you're making perfect sense here, but I just feel like it's a no-man's land at No. 9,

.....conventional receiver like Patterson or Allen in that spot won't have the same kind of immediate impact.
    You got that right... it IS no man's land at 9 this year. Ugh... I don't have all the answers (or even one!) but Austin doesn't feel like an answer. I get what you're saying, he helps this team now vs later, I just don't see them passing on some talent that's going to be there.

The difference between Austin @ 9 or Hopkins @ 40 is arguable. The difference between Cooper, or Jones, or Warmack, or whomever @ 9 vs the guys at 40 is HUGE!

just see what is there at 9 and pick the best player out of the many holes we have.. I think Izdik is much less of a risk taker than MT was.. MT loved the raw player type who had the desired build and/or speed but less proven. Ducass, Hill, ect.. I think we should approach this draft thinking about next years also.. If we dont pick a Oline early this year, we should next year.. Wether its Warmack, jones, star.. 1 of those guys will fall to 9 hopefully.. We are building a team for 2014, and have 2 drafts to do while adding some key role players in this and next years FA. Notice we arent signing guys to 1 year deals..

You got that right... it IS no man's land at 9 this year. Ugh... I don't have all the answers (or even one!) but Austin doesn't feel like an answer. I get what you're saying, he helps this team now vs later, I just don't see them passing on some talent that's going to be there.

The difference between Austin @ 9 or Hopkins @ 40 is arguable. The difference between Cooper, or Jones, or Warmack, or whomever @ 9 vs the guys at 40 is HUGE!
    i don't know if austin or whomever will pan out. that said, there seems to be an aversion by many to drafting skill positions early. if the jets had a good qb, they'd need more weapons. and with the qbs they have they need even better weapons. the jets shouldn't avoid drafting guys who can score just b/c sanchez is the starter. they should look to stockpile guys who can score b/c then if they get even a decent starter, they'll have a high octane offense.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You'd be better off taking Eifert @ 9 (although I wouldn't)

All Pro
    disagree on patterson, as he has homerun skills, though he's taller and not as elusive.

i think the decision may be at 9, whether they think the olbs on the board are considerably more risky than taking a wr there. i don't think warmack will be in the conversation. and fair or not, the fact the jets have drafted 3 defensive players in the last 3 first rounds and have an anemic offense will factor into the pick. the team needs weapons/playmakers, and woody wants to generate excitement again.

You need to get over this "we need to draft an offensive player or die" mentality. It's no different than the peasants who are banging their swords against their shields for an OLB... What we NEED, is to draft a playmaker. In every round.

The last the time the Jets drafted a WR in the first was... 2001. It doesn't mean a god damn thing that they went Defense 3 years in a row. It doesn't. It's where the talent meets the pick.

...and to those that think Patterson's gonna blow the NFL up this year, you gotta another thing comin. He's gonna be a project. "belie' dat" . Roddy White-ish. Like 2 years of development. That boy relies on entirely on gimmick plays and college spread-sandwich. He's going to be eaten-alive by NFL secondaries in his first go-around.

Show me some tape where Patterson burns a corner. Misdirects a safety on a route. Gets off his press. Show me anything on Patterson where he's not just d*cking around with slants and gimmick plays in the backfield... it's limited.

Personally, I think Patterson will get there as a pro, but he's stock is way inflated. He has the instincts I like, but I wish he'd use his hands more to catch the ball, instead of his body all the time.

All Pro
    i don't know if austin or whomever will pan out. that said, there seems to be an aversion by many to drafting skill positions early. if the jets had a good qb, they'd need more weapons. and with the qbs they have they need even better weapons. the jets shouldn't avoid drafting guys who can score just b/c sanchez is the starter. they should look to stockpile guys who can score b/c then if they get even a decent starter, they'll have a high octane offense.
    You're talking to the guy who's been slaying virgins to the tune of 8 years now, waiting for us to finally take an elite offensive playmaker. I would have NO PROBLEM with us giving up 2 firsts to move ahead to for AJ Green, or Jones, or Dez Bryant, or McFadden... fck, i would have killed my own brother to get Floyd last year..

I'm just calling 'em like I see them. This is a horrible year for top end talent. Hopkins is the best WR in the group and he can be had for 2nd round pick. Allen's up there, but I worry about his commitment to continued improvement.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You'd be better off taking Eifert @ 9 (although I wouldn't)
    I wouldn't complain.

You need to get over this "we need to draft an offensive player or die" mentality. It's no different than the peasants who are banging their swords against their shields for an OLB... What we NEED, is to draft a playmaker. In every round.

The last the time the Jets drafted a WR in the first was... 2001. It doesn't mean a god damn thing that they went Defense 3 years in a row. It doesn't. It's where the talent meets the pick.

...and to those that think Patterson's gonna blow the NFL up this year, you gotta another thing comin. He's gonna be a project. "belie' dat" . Roddy White-ish. Like 2 years of development. That boy relies on entirely on gimmick plays and college spread-sandwich. He's going to be eaten-alive by NFL secondaries in his first go-around.

Show me some tape where Patterson burns a corner. Misdirects a safety on a route. Gets off his press. Show me anything on Patterson where he's not just d*cking around with slants and gimmick plays in the backfield... it's limited.

Personally, I think Patterson will get there as a pro, but he's stock is way inflated. He has the instincts I like, but I wish he'd use his hands more to catch the ball, instead of his body all the time.
    I don't want Patterson at 9, but if he were "Roddy White-ish" I'd want him. I'd take two years of development, if that gets me at least 83 catches and 1150 yards for each of the next six years.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I don't want Patterson at 9, but if he were "Roddy White-ish" I'd want him. I'd take two years of development, if that gets me at least 83 catches and 1150 yards for each of the next six years.
    Obviously I have no idea what will actually happen with Patterson, but you could expect the same kind of stunted growth as White did. Lots of guys never get over that hump. Some like White, and D. Thomas did.

Don't like it.

It's an offseason reactionary pick. He's NOT the best player available, and Austin is not the kind of playmaker this team is missing. We've got enough undersized guys on salary.
    Agreed. We take the best player available at a position of need. This pretty much means the best player available that's not a Corner, front three on the defense or Center.

Great athlete's don't mean good WR. Where as I do like him he is NOT a top ten worth WR. You have Allen and then everyone else is late 1st - 3rd round talent.