Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin at 9

@gregcosell: If NFL is passing/space league, why is WVU Austin not top 10 pick. Most explosive playmaker in draft. Can align anywhere. Matchup nightmare.

@gregcosell: Could be caught in transition phase in NFL. More of space game now. More multiple uses for players like Austin. Like Cobb in GB last season.

@gregcosell: My point w/Austin is that NFL game continues to change. I'm trying to think outside the box. He's not just a slot WR. He's more than that.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-19-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Jarvis Jones in the first and Hopkins in the 2nd sounds better to me

Hall Of Fame

Cool to see some of these people coming around.
    I made a post about taking Austin last week. I have to say though, my thinking was if we do trade Revis & get more picks, take Austin & after that BPA.
    If you are really trying to kick start your offense than if you could draft Austin & Eifert, that would be quite a haul.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    after wilson, wilk and coples, it would be the 4th yr in a row.
    Irrelevant.

You draft BPA while paying attention to need. I'd rather have Coples over a primadonna like Justin Blackmon who people on this site were screaming for last off-season. And besides, Chance Warmack is an offensive player who is a no-brainer BPA at 9 if he makes it there.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Jarvis Jones in the first and Hopkins in the 2nd sounds better to me
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Not to mention Hopkins is just a flat out better receiver and is much better bang for your buck.

Austin will at best be work the slot like welker. That's his ceiling. I'd be more than willing to wager that as a pro, his partner Bailey will have a better NFL career. I like the way his skillset translates.
    Bailey is one of my guys this year. I really think he might still be around in the 3rd round and would be tremendous value there.

Question,

For this year at least.

Who is going to be throwing the ball to any of these supposedly great speed monsters?

You need to get over this "we need to draft an offensive player or die" mentality. It's no different than the peasants who are banging their swords against their shields for an OLB... What we NEED, is to draft a playmaker. In every round.

The last the time the Jets drafted a WR in the first was... 2001. It doesn't mean a god damn thing that they went Defense 3 years in a row. It doesn't. It's where the talent meets the pick.

...and to those that think Patterson's gonna blow the NFL up this year, you gotta another thing comin. He's gonna be a project. "belie' dat" . Roddy White-ish. Like 2 years of development. That boy relies on entirely on gimmick plays and college spread-sandwich. He's going to be eaten-alive by NFL secondaries in his first go-around.

Show me some tape where Patterson burns a corner. Misdirects a safety on a route. Gets off his press. Show me anything on Patterson where he's not just d*cking around with slants and gimmick plays in the backfield... it's limited.

Personally, I think Patterson will get there as a pro, but he's stock is way inflated. He has the instincts I like, but I wish he'd use his hands more to catch the ball, instead of his body all the time.
    it matters if you can't score.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTEAustin will at best be work the slot like welker.[/QUOTE]

Austin runs a 4.3. He has blazing speed. Not even comparable to welker.
    Last edited by Joe W. Namath; 03-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Irrelevant.

You draft BPA while paying attention to need. I'd rather have Coples over a primadonna like Justin Blackmon who people on this site were screaming for last off-season. And besides, Chance Warmack is an offensive player who is a no-brainer BPA at 9 if he makes it there.
    at some point, the jets will need to invest top picks in playmakers if they want to improve. they have a defensive minded coach who seems to have influenced the past few drafts. they have no weapons outside of kerley, with the assumption that holmes and bray are gone this or next season. keller also left and hill is a big question mark.

the hidden element to perpetually drafting defensive players in the early rounds and having an offense that can't stay on the field, is that all the 3 and outs and offensive failures puts undue pressure on the defense to keep them in games. it skews the TOP and gasses the d. the d can be improved by having a few guys on offense who can get first downs, make some plays, so the defense gets longer rests. whether that's a guy like austin, or a stud TE, or taking a risk on a qb in the 2d, well, i don't know. but if rex continues to influence the GM and they go defense in 2 of the first 3 rounds, where's the hope for this team? the good qbs will still score 20+ points on them. and the anemic offense will be tacit enablers b/c they can't stay on the field.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it matters if you can't score.
    Hey man, you're preaching to the choir. Nothing would make me happier to see the Jets go after an elite offensive playmaker in the first... Don't think it happens this year though.

No Thanx. He reminds me of Dexter McCluster 5'8 170 lbs.. accident waitin to happen in the nfl.. TWO WR's I like R HOPKINS and PATTERSON!!!

Jets draft needs

Not in this order tho: I would love to get Hopkins or Patterson I know that. Especially HOPKINS!!! BUT CP will most definitely turn a frown upside down.

DE
    OLB
    S
    TE
    RB
    WR
    QB
    CB??? MEVIS

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    Studied all 15 of Tavon Austin's TDs from 2012. 14 of 15 would've counted in a 2 hand touch league. Defenders can't touch him!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    Studied all 15 of Tavon Austin's TDs from 2012. 14 of 15 would've counted in a 2 hand touch league. Defenders can't touch him!
    He gets the spotlight, but it's this guy doing the dirty work...

According to STATS ICE, West Virginia's Stedman Bailey made more "clutch receptions" in 2012 than any top draft-eligible receiver on a minimum of 100 targets.
    "Clutch receptions" are defined as catches that went for a first down or touchdown. Scheme, quarterback play, and competition can affect stats like this, but it's still interesting that Bailey dominated the field with 72 "clutch" catches amongst 148 targets (48.6 percent). Next closest was Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, with 64 "clutch" catches on 141 passes his way (45.4 percent). Mar 29 - 6:12 PM

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hopkins might be the best receiver in this draft. He will be gone by the second round.

All Pro
    He gets the spotlight, but it's this guy doing the dirty work...
    I want Bailey so bad. No homo.

He's a perfect compliment to what's already here with Hill and Kerley. Could be a player very similar to Holmes or Greg Jennings -- great hands, smarts, route running, quickness -- sign me up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Question,

For this year at least.

Who is going to be throwing the ball to any of these supposedly great speed monsters?
    In that case, best not draft anyone ... no QB, so why draft a WR / TE? Why draft an OL, there's no point blocking for a crap QB. Etc etc.

You draft players for the next 4-5 years, not just this year. Drafting for the short term is why we are in the mess we are in, we've neglected the offense for many years and guess what - we suck on offense!

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Question,

For this year at least.

Drafted players are signed to four year contracts..

Draft profile: Tavon Austin, West Virginia

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

This is the fifth in a series highlighting players who could be selected by the Jets with the ninth overall pick in the April 25 draft:

Player: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

Height/Weight: 5-foot-8 1/2, 174 pounds

Scouts, Inc. ranking: 17

Draft projection: Ninth to 16th

Scouting report: Most draft experts would say ninth is too high for Austin, but how could the Jets, with an offense as explosive as a wet firecracker, dismiss the top playmaker in the draft? He'd probably be a better fit at 13 (if they acquire the Bucs' first-round pick for Darrelle Revis), but if you have a conviction on a player, why quibble over a few spots? Austin is electric, with rare separation skills and lightning quickness. He ran a 4.34 40 at the combine. He has tremendous acceleration and change-of-direction skills, able to cut without downshifting. He can also play running back and return punts. If used correctly, a la Percy Harvin, he'd be a matchup nightmare for opponents. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg had a similar player in Philadelphia -- DeSean Jackson. Austin is smaller than Jackson, but faster and tougher. He'd be the playmaker the Jets so desperately need.

Key stats: Austin caught 114 passes for 1,289 yards and 12 TDs last season. His signature performance came against Oklahoma. Playing running back, he rushed for 344 yards on 21 carries -- a 16.4-yard average, or roughly a quarter's worth of work for Shonn Greene. He had 572 all-purpose yards, the second-most in FBS history.

Red flags: It's his size, of course. Some teams won't be able to get past that. In the last 10 drafts, only one player listed below 5-foot-10 has gone in the top 10 -- RB Trent Richardson (5-foot-9), third overall last year to the Browns. Austin's size means he probably will be limited to the slot. Durability will be a concern, but he never missed a game in four college seasons.

In his own words: "Wes Welker, that’s [the] no. 1 guy [among slot receivers]. I watch a lot of tape of him. I think I’m a little quicker and faster than him, so I figure if he can do it, I can do it, too."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter