Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin at 9

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Drafted players are signed to four year contracts..
    With the new CBA first round picks are signed to 5 year contracts now.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    With the new CBA first round picks are signed to 5 year contracts now.
    1st rounders are 4yrs + a club option

The new rookie wage scale is supposed to cut top rookie contracts by more than 50 percent. First-round picks get four-year deals in which the club holds a fifth-year option. There are slotted four-year deals from
    Rounds 2 through 7.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...football-terms

My main point is that the draft isn't a 1 year player.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    1st rounders are 4yrs + a club option

The new rookie wage scale is supposed to cut top rookie contracts by more than 50 percent. First-round picks get four-year deals in which the club holds a fifth-year option. There are slotted four-year deals from
    Rounds 2 through 7.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...football-terms
    Nice, even better. Although I would think after year 3 or 4 teams would extend guys they really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Not to mention Hopkins is just a flat out better receiver and is much better bang for your buck.

Austin will at best be work the slot like welker. That's his ceiling. I'd be more than willing to wager that as a pro, his partner Bailey will have a better NFL career. I like the way his skillset translates.

I'd be willing to bet that you're wrong.

Bailey is around the same size as Austin. Only thing I'd give to Bailey is his route running. Both are slot guys. Bailey just isn't as explosive or fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    No Thanx. He reminds me of Dexter McCluster 5'8 170 lbs.. accident waitin to happen in the nfl.. TWO WR's I like R HOPKINS and PATTERSON!!!

Jets draft needs

Not in this order tho: I would love to get Hopkins or Patterson I know that. Especially HOPKINS!!! BUT CP will most definitely turn a frown upside down.

DE
    OLB
    S
    TE
    RB
    WR
    QB
    CB??? MEVIS
    Mccluster ran a 4.55 40, and didn't have elite speed or a position.
    Austin ran a 4.34

If it happens I wouldn't complain but honestly in a few years when a 5'8 receiver loses his speed then you just have a 5'8 receiver. It's not a long term pick in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    If it happens I wouldn't complain but honestly in a few years when a 5'8 receiver loses his speed then you just have a 5'8 receiver. It's not a long term pick in my opinion.
    that's the concern.

Too small...this guy is Santana Moss 2.0....yea he's a playmaker but CB's would jam this guy off of the LOS and take him out of the game...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Too small...this guy is Santana Moss 2.0....yea he's a playmaker but CB's would jam this guy off of the LOS and take him out of the game...
    Santana Moss has had a pretty awesome career...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Santana Moss has had a pretty awesome career...
    I agree but if your going to draft a player at 9.....he needs to be a number 1 receiver...a physical beast with speed...like a Dez Bryant...guys like Austin can be found in the later rounds...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I agree but if your going to draft a player at 9.....he needs to be a number 1 receiver...a physical beast with speed...like a Dez Bryant...guys like Austin can be found in the later rounds...
    Fair enough, but if Austin will average over 1000 yards and 6-10 TD's for an extended period of time, does it really matter if he's 5 8?

Not saying your wrong, or that Austin will have a career like that, just playing devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Fair enough, but if Austin will average over 1000 yards and 6-10 TD's for an extended period of time, does it really matter if he's 5 8?

Not saying your wrong, or that Austin will have a career like that, just playing devil's advocate.
    Oh I totally agree with you...I just think hell be a good complementary receiver...he won't be a receiver that commands double teams...he will be good on a team like Detroit where CJ is constantly being double teamed and Austin can do damage underneath ala Welker...we don't have that kind of WR

All Pro
    Let's say we get the #13 from Tampa. Can we really support using either the #9 or #13 on guy who overlaps Kerley? We have such major holes at key positions that this would be a luxury, IMHO. I'd rather go with Jordan/Jones/Ansah and Cooper/Warmack with those two. That would make much more sense at that level in the draft. Better yet, trade down the #9 if it can be done. The meat of this draft is in the second and third rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Let's say we get the #13 from Tampa. Can we really support using either the #9 or #13 on guy who overlaps Kerley? We have such major holes at key positions that this would be a luxury, IMHO. I'd rather go with Jordan/Jones/Ansah and Cooper/Warmack with those two. That would make much more sense at that level in the draft. Better yet, trade down the #9 if it can be done. The meat of this draft is in the second and third rounds...
    Here's an idea to just throw it out there...If you take Austin at #13 do you look to trade Kerley? Could you get more than the 5th rounder that you originally used to draft him? I think so..He's an established NFL player

I like Kerley, but by all accounts Austin is a much more explosive player / playmaker.

Maybe you pick up a 3rd or 4th for Kerley...Just an idea.

Here's an idea to just throw it out there...If you take Austin at #13 do you look to trade Kerley? Could you get more than the 5th rounder that you originally used to draft him? I think so..He's an established NFL player

I like Kerley, but by all accounts Austin is a much more explosive player / playmaker.

Maybe you pick up a 3rd or 4th for Kerley...Just an idea.
    i say you use both. draft a TE and use all your weapons. hopefully hill rebounds. then you have 2 big guys and 2 small guys. i assure you the good offensive teams would gladly draft austin and wouldn't look to get rid of another guy who can make plays. they collect them.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i say you use both. draft a TE and use all your weapons. hopefully hill rebounds. then you have 2 big guys and 2 small guys. i assure you the good offensive teams would gladly draft austin and wouldn't look to get rid of another guy who can make plays. they collect them.
    You could definitely use both. Austin can be used all over the place, hell he had a game where he RUSHED for over 300 yards against Oklahoma. In a WCO he is a valuable weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Overlaps Kerley? Kerley is a nice player but Austin is in a different realm. You know those plays where Kerley is running and finds a seam and gets 15 yards? That's six points with Austin.

I do see us drafting Austin at 9, and long term Kerley is more of a crafty third down receiver. Austin is a playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Overlaps Kerley? Kerley is a nice player but Austin is in a different realm. You know those plays where Kerley is running and finds a seam and gets 15 yards? That's six points with Austin.

I do see us drafting Austin at 9, and long term Kerley is more of a crafty third down receiver. Austin is a playmaker.
    austin would be one of those picks a lot of jet fans would moan over, yet if buffalo took him and he torched the jets for a few tds we'll all be on this board wondering why the jets never get guys like him.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    austin would be one of those picks a lot of jet fans would moan over, yet if buffalo took him and he torched the jets for a few tds we'll all be on this board wondering why the jets never get guys like him.
    Seattle's drafting has been..unorthodox in the time Idzik was there. Would not be surprised if Austin is the pick for us, because when Seattle likes a guy in round one (irvin and carpenter come to mind) they have taken him, to hell with people's value charts.

Speaking of Carpenter, an Alabama guard....hmmm who do we know like that in this draft.

I don't know how much rubbed off on Idzik because obviously the seahawks GM had the final call, but if I had to bet I think we take Austin at 9 and Warmack at 13.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Steve Smith is the same size and has averaged 75 catches and 1250 yards the last two years at the ages of 32 and 33.

With that said, i am not a fan of him at 9 for this team.