Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tavon Austin at 9

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I think if you have a legit #1 WR but no-one any good at #2, you can justify an early pick for Austin. So a team like Detroit or Arizona (aside from more glaring needs elsewhere). Then he'll make plays in his own right AND take some coverage away from the #1 guy.

Jets already have a host of #2 WR's, and if we do pick a WR we really need to be trying to get a #1 guy, not another #2.
    i think this is an outdated approach to building offenses. the jets could easily draft austin, then add a big TE and have big and small guys running around making plays. throw in a new rb too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think this is an outdated approach to building offenses. the jets could easily draft austin, then add a big TE and have big and small guys running around making plays. throw in a new rb too.
    Agree with this.... Outdated thinking. Need playmakers, need to spread teams out, force them to cover the entire field, need a QB who can either attack with arm and legs (rg3, Kaepernick, Wilson) or has a huge arm (luck, Eli, Flacco)...

Like you say - You take Austin, mix w/Hill and a pass catching big target TE, along with Kerley and Holmes + 2 pass catching rb's and that presents problems for any team.

This offense is a few skill pieces and qb from being very solid...

You grab OL and they still need those same skill pieces.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mean to sound like a d*ck (which i know i will, i'm sorry)...

but you guys are fcked in the head if you think teams needing a #1 WR is a "dated" mentality, or that Austin can be THAT game changer.... Austin is not AJ GREEN. He's not CALVIN JOHNSON, or Brandon Marshall, or Jones, or Dez, or Steve Smith or anything or one remotely similar. and he's not a Percy Harvin... He's a slot receiver with a high ceiling... He ran a fast 40.. no sh*t. he weighs in at 175 lbs soaking wet.

#1 Most overrated Prospect; Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

The hottest prospect in this draft class has been on a meteoric climb up the charts since putting on a spectacular show at the NFL Scouting Combine. Austin's 4.34-second speed (in the 40-yard dash) and remarkable change-of-direction quickness (4.01-second short shuttle) complemented an impressive résumé tape that showcased his versatility as a receiver/running back/returner at West Virginia. This combination of skills, playmaking ability and explosiveness has sparked comparisons to Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson from coaches and scouts around the league.

Now, I definitely see the similarities in playing styles, but neither Harvin nor Jackson has made a significant impact as a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. (Harvin has never posted a 1,000-yard season, while Jackson has surpassed that mark just twice in five years.) And there haven't been many 5-foot-8, 174-pound receivers who have taken the league by storm. That's why I can't fully endorse Austin's rise as a potential top-10 pick, even with his ability to score from anywhere on the field. The NFL remains a big man's game, and it's hard for a diminutive pass catcher to function as a legitimate No. 1 receiver. I believe Austin can be an explosive complementary player, but you don't take role players early in the draft.
    Austin will not change a crappy offense into a high rev'ing motor. He can complete an offense, but he can't start one... He is not that kind of talent. ex. He will look incredible playing for NOS. For the Jets? ..Flashy on the some bubble screens and slants, and but average everywhere else. He ain't playing the outside, I'll tell you that.

I mean, have you guys actually watched Austin?? McCluster looked alot like him. Same with Chris Rainey... those guys have BOMBED at RB... Austin will not be doing PERCY HARVIN moves in the NFL from the backfield. Mutherfcker will get LIT UP. he's late 1st/early second round role player who has big upside for a team with the right offense. He's not the answer for the Jets at #9. Or #13.

HONESTLY - what are guys are talking about and describing - Hopkins fits that bill 100x better.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a d*ck (which i know i will, i'm sorry)...

but you guys are fcked in the head if you think teams needing a #1 WR is a "dated" mentality, or that Austin can be THAT game changer... HOLY SH*t... wake up. Austin is not AJ GREEN. He's not CALVIN JOHNSON, or Brandon Marshall, or Jones, or Dez, or Steve Smith or anything or one remotely similar. and he's DEFINITELY not a Percy Harvin... He's a slot receiver with a high ceiling.. whoopdie-fcking-doo. He ran a fast 40.. no sh*t. he weighs in at 175 lbs soaking wet.

Jesus Christ, i can't believe this place. Austin will not change a crappy offense into a high rev'ing motor. He can complete an offense, but he can't start one... He is not that kind of talent. ex. He will look incredible playing for NOS. For the Jets? ..Flashy on the some bubble screens and slants, and but average everywhere else. He ain't playing the outside, I'll tell you that.

I mean, have you guys actually watched Austin?? McCluster looked alot like him. Same with Chris Rainey... those guys have BOMBED at RB... Austin will not be doing PERCY HARVIN moves in the NFL from the backfield. Mutherfcker will get LIT UP. he's late 1st/early second round role player who has big upside for a team with the right offense. He's not the answer for the Jets at #9. Or #13.

HONESTLY - what are guys are talking about and describing - Hopkins fits that bill 100x better.
    I dont believe either mccluster or Rainey are as explosive. Mccluster ran a 4.6 at the combine, Rainey wasn't near the college player as Austin and his stats back up that statement...

Austin's is more of a blend of Chris Johnson and Steve Smith... Not quite as fast as Johnson and not quite as tough/precise as Smith, but still he's an absolute nightmare for a defender to cover in space.

He might never be a conventional 1200 yards receiver, but he might give you 7-800 yards receiving, 2-300 rushing yards, 1-2 td returns, and 8-10 Tds....

Much like what Harvin can give you. I'd take a chance on him personally, he's one of the most explosive players I've ever seen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

He might never be a conventional 1200 yards receiver, but he might give you 7-800 yards receiving, 2-300 rushing yards, 1-2 td returns, and 8-10 Tds....

Much like what Harvin can give you. I'd take a chance on him personally, he's one of the most explosive players I've ever seen.
    I'll be shocked out of my genitalia if he posted 10+ receiving TDs a year. I guess (IMO) what it comes down to, is exactly what i said above, He's great complimentary player, but Harvin is a bigger dude, and he takes a lickin' out there. Can't see Austin surviving a lot of big hits at the NFL level executing those behind the LOS gimmick plays.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'll be shocked out of my genitalia if he posted 10+ receiving TDs a year. I guess (IMO) what it comes down to, is exactly what i said above, He's great complimentary player, but Harvin is a bigger dude, and he takes a lickin' out there. Can't see Austin surviving a lot of big hits at the NFL level executing those behind the LOS gimmick plays.
    It's definitely a tough one to project, but he's got the same size/speed as desean Jackson did coming out, only (in college at least), he was an even more dynamic and polished player.

I haven't seen anyone make defenders look that slow since Chris Johnson... And this guy is far more shifty... Like a Welker with track speed...

The other thing is that I'm just not sold on anyone else at 9... The best player is a guard!?! The pass rushers all have issues... No qb to select.

You can poke holes in everyone's game in this draft...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn...didn't think my thread would still be kicking around the forum

After a few weeks, BAP has to be the strategy throughout the whole draft to restock the roster. The top needs are OLB, S, G, and the depth chart needs some more potential at places like WR, RB, CB. I leave out QB because we all know the Jets are tied to Sanchez for one more year, so unless they take a late round flyer, the team's QB solution is still a year away.

That's just right now, which is why the draft talk while the Revis elephant is in the room is dumbfounding. Regardless of how it goes down, those first two picks need to present a starter/game-changer on offense and defense. With our current situation, a guy like Austin and an OLB like Okafor, Lemonier, or Jamie Collins in round 2-3 would be a fine first two days.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

The other thing is that I'm just not sold on anyone else at 9... The best player is a guard!?! The pass rushers all have issues... No qb to select.

You can poke holes in everyone's game in this draft...
    This is the truth, and where Austin supporters might have a trump card... what the hell are we gonna do @ 9? Honestly, I don't know. It seems like (as you said) most of these guys at the top end, grade out with some significant risk. The guards, much to the dismay of many, are virtually the only safe picks outside of Floyd... and Star IMO. (also the OTs, but we're not after them)

Talk about a cruddy here to have 2 picks in the top 15... If I was GM, I suppose I would look at the situation... well first off, I would have taken a 2014 1st rnd pick instead... but I would go for broke. Guys with the highest ceilings. Jordan, Jones, Ansah, Star, Warmack... and if we could trade back a few spots, sneak in Eifert, Hopkins, Carradine, Vaccaro, hell, maybe even Patterson.

I don't necessary like all those guys, but in this draft class you have to go big upside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People saying we don't have a #1 WR therefore we shouldn't draft Austin, I say Holmes is a close number 1 WR!
    I understand he's coming back from injury but if he's 100% next year & you team him with Austin, Hill, Kerley, Eifert?
    Come on, that is not chopped liver
    Have you all forgot the games that Holmes won on his own.
    He won the 1st game vs Miami last year
    He's a WR that has to be bracketed & can easily win one on one duals.
    I'm not saying he's megaton or Fitz but he is an above average WR, even though he's a douche.
    If the Jets get 13, we could end up with an Austin & Eifert 1st round and I would not be complaining.
    Austin is the kind of dynamic player in the open field that he might win you 2 games on special teams, you know, specials, as Parcells used to say 30% of a football game!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ChrisWesseling: Gruden on Tavon Austin: "He's my favorite player in the draft ... He's going to make an impact, I believe, big time." http://t.co/EeG2K7et3R

There has been a growing buzz about the possibility of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers taking West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin with the 13th overall pick in next week’s draft.

Personally, I think it’s a long shot. I think the Bucs will use the pick on a cornerback (or some other defensive player) if they stay put and haven’t made a trade for Darrelle Revis.

But if Jon Gruden, who was fired by the Bucs after the 2008 season, still was coaching the team I think there would be a very good chance of Austin landing in Tampa Bay.

“He's my favorite player in the draft," Gruden, now an ESPN analyst, said in a conference call with the national media. “I'm sensitive to him because he's 5-foot-8 like myself. When you watch the kid play, he's magnificent. He's a great return man -- punts, kicks. He lines up at tailback, and he plays like a tailback. He looks like Darren Sproles at tailback and he looks like Wes Welker in the slot."

I’ve spent a lot of time around Gruden the past few months, helping with his Insider scouting reports on the players coming through Gruden’s QB Camp. Gruden has liked just about every player to come through the camp. But, for Gruden to say Austin (who was not part of the camp), is his favorite player in this draft is pretty significant praise.

“I've seen him be magnificent after the catch, all-purpose yardage, look, he's tough," Gruden said. “Tremendous stop and start quickness and flatout finishing speed. I've seen quick guys, fast players, but I've never seen very many that have the combination of speed and quickness like Austin has. He ran for 8,000 yards as a high school tailback in Maryland, and he averaged 7 or 8 yards a carry this year when they handed it to him. He's just a fun, deluxe joker to have on your football team. He's going to make an impact, I believe, big time."

We’ll see if current coach Greg Schiano likes Austin as much as Gruden does.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Tavon Austin more at 13 than 9 especially if we have already landed a dynamic linebacker or mauling guard at 9. A hand full of fast receivers would be nice but he probably won’t be my pick as I’d look to fill other needs. He makes me think of Peter Warrick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way to this smurf we already have 2 small WRs!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupe View Post
    I like Tavon Austin more at 13 than 9 especially if we have already landed a dynamic linebacker or mauling guard at 9.
    Agreed

If we end up with the 13th pick, who is really a threat to take him before #16 anyway?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SANCHEZ works best with tall WRs not smurfs!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If we cant trade down, OLB at 9, happy enough with him at 13

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
    Tavon Austin is perfect in today's NFL.....elite speed/quickness btw the numbers. That's where the passing game is at today

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Tavon Austin is perfect in today's NFL.....elite speed/quickness btw the numbers. That's where the passing game is at today
    i predict this is who the jets take if they stay at 9. the bills will take nassib which will allow this to happen. at 13 it's mingo or one of the guards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    We've talked about this before,if the Rams think were gonna snap up Austin at#9, we might get an offer we can't refuse,talk is they really want him bad.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    We've talked about this before,if the Rams think were gonna snap up Austin at#9, we might get an offer we can't refuse,talk is they really want him bad.
    I hope this is the case, because if we don't take him I would hate to see the fins pick him up at 12

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    SANCHEZ works best with tall WRs not smurfs!
    SANCHEZ is not in the future plans