Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

Thread: Coples

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Coples

    I just wanted to see if anyone else is expecting a Mo Wilk type of leap from him in year two.

    He does not seem to get a lot of love, with 5.5 sacks last year and easy a couple more if not for stupid face mask penalties I'm excited about his development in year two.

    I've been watching some games back from last year, and he is a handful even when being double-teamed. Makes me think if we match him up in one on one situations off the edge he could do some serious damage next year.

    What expectations sack wise are you thinking?

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think with the addition of Barnes & if we get lucky & end up with Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones in the upcoming draft, I think it will be a night & day scenario.

    Last year the Jets had zero OLB that the opposing teams had to worry about, so they went into games scheming for either Wilk or Coples.

    Think about, Pace?, Thomas?, even Bart lost his burst on blitzes.
    Harris had to cover for all of that lack of speed, & as we know he's no burner.

    If Davis is everything Rex claims he is, ie leader, learner, this defense will surprise some teams next year.
    We would have gone from, Pace, Thomas, Scott, 3 LBs that no one is even sniffing in FA, to Davis, Barnes, Jones or Jordan.
    That is a huge difference in speed.
    I'm hoping that in itself makes it difficult to key on a guy like Coples & he breaks out.
    Ellis is the other guy we need to take a huge step.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    The key for Coples will be impressing on Rex Ryan that he can be a starter. He needs more playing time as of right now. He just didn't have enough last season. If he had more playing time, he likely would have had a much more successful season than what he did.

    This may happen out of necessity, what with all of the rebuilding going on.

    But in any event, I do think at this point he's earned the right to get more playing time. And yes, I do think he's going to be a very good player for us.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I just wanted to see if anyone else is expecting a Mo Wilk type of leap from him in year two.

    He does not seem to get a lot of love, with 5.5 sacks last year and easy a couple more if not for stupid face mask penalties I'm excited about his development in year two.

    I've been watching some games back from last year, and he is a handful even when being double-teamed. Makes me think if we match him up in one on one situations off the edge he could do some serious damage next year.

    What expectations sack wise are you thinking?
    Must give props to Rex on Coples. He didn't play when he didn't practice well.Towards the end of the year,Coples learned how to be a professional and saw the field alot more.Double digit sack numbers from him,he's a monster talent

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I think with the addition of Barnes & if we get lucky & end up with Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones in the upcoming draft, I think it will be a night & day scenario.

    Last year the Jets had zero OLB that the opposing teams had to worry about, so they went into games scheming for either Wilk or Coples.

    Think about, Pace?, Thomas?, even Bart lost his burst on blitzes.
    Harris had to cover for all of that lack of speed, & as we know he's no burner.

    If Davis is everything Rex claims he is, ie leader, learner, this defense will surprise some teams next year.
    We would have gone from, Pace, Thomas, Scott, 3 LBs that no one is even sniffing in FA, to Davis, Barnes, Jones or Jordan.
    That is a huge difference in speed.i think Coples wil have a huge year. He has the talent but needed experience.
    I'm hoping that in itself makes it difficult to key on a guy like Coples & he breaks out.
    Ellis is the other guy we need to take a huge step.
    Coples will have a huge year along with Big Mo and Barnes, Davis. The pass rush will be fearsome by the 4th game. Dunbar is a great DL coach and the talent is there. With lots with speed, the sky is the limit.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-20-2013 at 02:06 PM.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I've been watching some games back from last year
    You have seriously been watching games from last year? You have lost your mind my friend.

    Coples will be better then he was last year. Lots of youth on the line this year with Wilk, Ellis and coples. I like it.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really try to avoid putting a number or stat on what would determine if a player improves. Coples could have a great year and only get something like 8 sacks depending on how teams treat him. If we have no other pass rushing threats then he will be double teamed. Peppers is regarding as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and he never comes near the tops of the ranking anymore. 10 sacks for him is like 20 sacks for someone else b.c of how teams scheme against him.

    For 2013 I just want to see Coples to prove that he can play every down. Last year they had to take him off the field at times b.c they felt he was undersized (code word for getting pushed around).

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look for continued improvement across the whole defensive line. Again folks, this is why you cannot just blow Rex off. If he develops this young D talent like he has many others, it will finally be Rex's D and that defense will be very dangerous. With a bit more solid play from the QB spot on the offense next season, we could be surprisingly decent football team.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    You have seriously been watching games from last year? You have lost your mind my friend.

    Coples will be better then he was last year. Lots of youth on the line this year with Wilk, Ellis and coples. I like it.
    Well errrr, yeah...I'm a glutton for punishment.

    Secretly I enjoy all things dark,depressive,disturbing and downright rotten and black to the core. This being the reason I'm a jets fan, and watching tape of old games satisfies all my dark sided needs.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I really try to avoid putting a number or stat on what would determine if a player improves. Coples could have a great year and only get something like 8 sacks depending on how teams treat him. If we have no other pass rushing threats then he will be double teamed. Peppers is regarding as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and he never comes near the tops of the ranking anymore. 10 sacks for him is like 20 sacks for someone else b.c of how teams scheme against him.

    For 2013 I just want to see Coples to prove that he can play every down. Last year they had to take him off the field at times b.c they felt he was undersized (code word for getting pushed around).
    Hopefully with a full year under his belt he'll have more size / stamina to become an effective every down player.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Must give props to Rex on Coples. He didn't play when he didn't practice well.Towards the end of the year,Coples learned how to be a professional and saw the field alot more.Double digit sack numbers from him,he's a monster talent
    Great point about learning how to be a professional. That's where losing guys like DeVito and Pouha will hurt more than on the field; they were good locker room guys, especially with the young players.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I think with the addition of Barnes & if we get lucky & end up with Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones in the upcoming draft, I think it will be a night & day scenario.

    Last year the Jets had zero OLB that the opposing teams had to worry about, so they went into games scheming for either Wilk or Coples.

    Think about, Pace?, Thomas?, even Bart lost his burst on blitzes.
    Harris had to cover for all of that lack of speed, & as we know he's no burner.

    If Davis is everything Rex claims he is, ie leader, learner, this defense will surprise some teams next year.
    We would have gone from, Pace, Thomas, Scott, 3 LBs that no one is even sniffing in FA, to Davis, Barnes, Jones or Jordan.
    That is a huge difference in speed.
    I'm hoping that in itself makes it difficult to key on a guy like Coples & he breaks out.
    Ellis is the other guy we need to take a huge step.
    Uh oh, that sounds eerily similar to what Rex said yesterday and was told to STFU.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how much he is freed up. If he plays DE in the 3-4 and we play that alot his impact will be limited as to what it can be.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Great point about learning how to be a professional. That's where losing guys like DeVito and Pouha will hurt more than on the field; they were good locker room guys, especially with the young players.
    I think Rex thinks Davis is a guy that can be a leadership guy.One of the reasons he's so high on him, lets hope he's right

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Hopefully with a full year under his belt he'll have more size / stamina to become an effective every down player.
    I think he will. He also has a great position coach helping him along. And his HC's background is DL.

    There is no doubting his talent. He just needs to put it all together and have the game slow down for him a bit.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The key for Coples will be impressing on Rex Ryan that he can be a starter. He needs more playing time as of right now. He just didn't have enough last season. If he had more playing time, he likely would have had a much more successful season than what he did.

    This may happen out of necessity, what with all of the rebuilding going on.

    But in any event, I do think at this point he's earned the right to get more playing time. And yes, I do think he's going to be a very good player for us.
    That is very true. I think Rex was more concerned with having his defense rank in the top 5 than he was in evaluating his young defensive players. There was no reason to have Bart playing all those snaps the last 4 games of the season and having Davis sit for as much as he did.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been touting Coples since before the draft last year. Guy will be a stud. He was handcuffed by Rex most of the season and still had 5.5 sacks.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That is very true. I think Rex was more concerned with having his defense rank in the top 5 than he was in evaluating his young defensive players. There was no reason to have Bart playing all those snaps the last 4 games of the season and having Davis sit for as much as he did.
    Well, as you recall, in the preseason last year Rex had some problems with him. Coples complained that he had to stay out playing with the 2's and 3's, because he thought based on a couple of outstanding games in the preseason that he had earned the right to be with the starters only.

    That's a clear sign of immaturity.

    So although the talent is very clearly there, he still needs to grow up and accept what the HC has to say. That may still be an issue. There's also the stamina issue. I thought he got pushed around a lot late in games also.

    So a little mental maturity and good work out habits will go a long way toward impressing Rex that he is ready.

    I also tend to believe this is different from the Bart Scott/Demario Davis scenario. I have no idea why Rex didn't give Davis more playing time. But in the case of Coples, I think Rex was spot on in treating him the way he has.

  19. #19
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I really try to avoid putting a number or stat on what would determine if a player improves. Coples could have a great year and only get something like 8 sacks depending on how teams treat him. If we have no other pass rushing threats then he will be double teamed. Peppers is regarding as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and he never comes near the tops of the ranking anymore. 10 sacks for him is like 20 sacks for someone else b.c of how teams scheme against him.

    For 2013 I just want to see Coples to prove that he can play every down. Last year they had to take him off the field at times b.c they felt he was undersized (code word for getting pushed around).
    That's a +1.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I've been touting Coples since before the draft last year. Guy will be a stud. He was handcuffed by Rex most of the season and still had 5.5 sacks.

    applauded the selection.. thought his play improved as he got more opportunity to play....

    very happy with leap Big MO had from rookie to 2nd year. Hope to see same from Coples....

    I think Coples can develop into a true "BEAST"...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us