Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coples

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Wilkerson truly arrived last year and I am not worried about him. In fact I expect him to fully grow into his "man size" and in year-3. Coples had a good rookie campaign and if he is truly past the problem of not appearing to give maximum effort on every play then I think the sky is the limit for him. The big question mark for me this year is Kenrick Ellis. His whole court case is well and truly behind him now and there is no Pouha or Devitio to take snaps away from him any more. This really is the year for him to make his mark. Can Kenrick live up to that enormous physical potential that we all think he has?

If so I think our D-line can be something special even if the depth is made up w with scrubs and Jags.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    it took time but this d line just might be a force to be reckoned with

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I think Wilkerson truly arrived last year and I am not worried about him. In fact I expect him to fully grow into his "man size" and in year-3. Coples had a good rookie campaign and if he is truly past the problem of not appearing to give maximum effort on every play then I think the sky is the limit for him. The big question mark for me this year is Kenrick Ellis. His whole court case is well and truly behind him now and there is no Pouha or Devitio to take snaps away from him any more. This really is the year for him to make his mark. Can Kenrick live up to that enormous physical potential that we all think he has?

If so I think our D-line can be something special even if the depth is made up w with scrubs and Jags.
    Don't forget Damon Harrison - he's going to be starting....at least according to his agent

And while that's obvious nonsense, I like the fact that he - or someone in his camp - is setting the bar high. If Harrison and Ellis take the next step respectively, this Dline will be very good. I'm not worried about Wilk and Coples will be productive. How productive remains to be seen, but I'm confident we'll get more out of him than we got last year, which was pretty decent for a young guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melvin Ingram had 1 sack last season as a starting OLB.

Quinton Coples had 5.5 as part-time 3-4 DE.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever we have at OLB this season behind Coples & Wilks will be some lucky dudes lighting up the qb. Could we have Jarvis Jones please Sir!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Coples, its really a function of whether or not he has the motivation and work ethic to go full speed on every play. There is no doubt that he has all the physical gifts. The question is, and has been since he was signed, does he have the desire. Only time will tell.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    With Coples, its really a function of whether or not he has the motivation and work ethic to go full speed on every play. There is no doubt that he has all the physical gifts. The question is, and has been since he was signed, does he have the desire. Only time will tell.
    This "work ethic" thing is so overblown IMO. The guy lost his head coach and had his defensive scheme changed going into his senior season. A bunch of key players were suspended before the season even began and the entire team had a rough year. He took plays off because he saw a lot of money coming his way.

His junior year is much more telling of the player he is than his senior year.

Add a young pass rushing OLB in the draft, and we might see a pass rush thats the best weve seen in a LONG time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    This "work ethic" thing is so overblown IMO. The guy lost his head coach and had his defensive scheme changed going into his senior season. A bunch of key players were suspended before the season even began and the entire team had a rough year. He took plays off because he saw a lot of money coming his way.

Add a young pass rushing OLB in the draft, and we might see a pass rush thats the best weve seen in a LONG time.
    Now that's what we're talking about!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

There was the instance where he pouted for having to play with the 2nd/3rd stringers in preseason and Rex rightfully so called him out on that.. We don't know how he practiced, but thought it was odd he didn't play much at first considering how high Rex was on him. I like that Rex made him earn his playing time, and confident he will step up more this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why so people start with this work ethic crap? As Jet fans, have we ever seen this guy take plays off? Or did we read that somewhere and already forgot who wrote it? Please. Stop.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Be thankful for the questions about his work ethic, because no one thought this guy was slipping to the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a monster talent, no doubt. Hopefully he can feed off Wilkerson and develop the work ethic to be a true force.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Melvin Ingram had 1 sack last season as a starting OLB.

Quinton Coples had 5.5 as part-time 3-4 DE.

Couldn't agree more. I wanted Ingram but when Coples fell into our laps, there was no denying he is the superior "natural talent"

per roto today:

The Chargers are "hopeful" OLB Melvin Ingram will take a step forward this season.

Ingram played 475 snaps as a rookie, recording just one sack and 41 tackles. With Antwan Barnes now in New York and Shaun Phillips unsigned, the time is now for Ingram to live up to his first-round potential. He had 19 sacks and 26 tackles for a loss over his final two seasons at South Carolina.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 2 - 9:11 AM

The Jets did right by taking Coples. He played significantly less snaps and produced 4.5 more sacks (probably 6 more if not for some bone-head penalties) than the much hyped Ingram.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's about the same number of snaps.

Coples played a shade under 50% of the snaps last year. Rough estimate that there are 60 snaps a game X 16 games = ~960 snaps.

But even with a very similar number of snaps, Coples performed much better. He's got a great amount of potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not even close. Ingram is an undersized OLB with zero wingspan and it's not like he's has amazing athletcism or football IQ to make up for it. Coples is a fantastic physical specimen who hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential yet. Kudos to Rex for demanding our FO draft Coples instead of Vernon Gholston part deux. Stay tuned.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I wanted Ingram but when Coples fell into our laps, there was no denying he is the superior "natural talent"

per roto today:

The Chargers are "hopeful" OLB Melvin Ingram will take a step forward this season.

Ingram played 475 snaps as a rookie, recording just one sack and 41 tackles. With Antwan Barnes now in New York and Shaun Phillips unsigned, the time is now for Ingram to live up to his first-round potential. He had 19 sacks and 26 tackles for a loss over his final two seasons at South Carolina.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 2 - 9:11 AM

The Jets did right by taking Coples. He played significantly less snaps and produced 4.5 more sacks (probably 6 more if not for some bone-head penalties) than the much hyped Ingram.
    meanwhile The NYT is reporting that, last draft day, paramedics attended to Ray Lucas as his exasperation over Rex not picking Ray's "obvious, no-brainer" player almost hospitalized the SNY personality.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Must give props to Rex on Coples. He didn't play when he didn't practice well.Towards the end of the year,Coples learned how to be a professional and saw the field alot more.Double digit sack numbers from him,he's a monster talent
    Horse****, Rex likes to play veterans it is his weakness. Not all players are practice animals. Sapp wasn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    meanwhile The NYT is reporting that, last draft day, paramedics attended to Ray Lucas as his exasperation over Rex not picking Ray's "obvious, no-brainer" player almost hospitalized the SNY personality.
    Gotta luv the entire think_tank over at SNY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The SNY duo of TweedleRay and TweedleScheinee were apoplectic when the Jets selected Coples and passed on their guaranteed surefirefuture HOFer Shortarms Ingram

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad excuse. Doesn't matter if he lost head coach or the scheme changed. Great players play through adversity and play every down. Again, the jury is out on him. He could end up being the real thing.