Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coples

there has to be a leap from both coples and ellis this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I just wanted to see if anyone else is expecting a Mo Wilk type of leap from him in year two.

He does not seem to get a lot of love, with 5.5 sacks last year and easy a couple more if not for stupid face mask penalties I'm excited about his development in year two.

I've been watching some games back from last year, and he is a handful even when being double-teamed. Makes me think if we match him up in one on one situations off the edge he could do some serious damage next year.

What expectations sack wise are you thinking?

I think Coples is going to be really good. I agree that an Ellis breakthrough is really needed this season

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I look for continued improvement across the whole defensive line. Again folks, this is why you cannot just blow Rex off. If he develops this young D talent like he has many others, it will finally be Rex's D and that defense will be very dangerous. With a bit more solid play from the QB spot on the offense next season, we could be surprisingly decent football team.
    I like the sounds of this. With Jets looking likely to nab Jarvis Jones, and with Barnes on the other side, plus Garray in front on clear passing downs everyone will get a piece of the action. Coples and Wilks too. There's too many people to double team.

But the Jets young guns need to step up ie Ellis, Harrison, Coples as well to really round out/shore up the D. Imagine if Revis gets back to elite level cb play as he recovers??

I still think the Jets need to pick up at least 1 more passrushing OLB in FA (Dr Doom from the Broncos please!!) And Jarvis Jones in the draft plus Shamarko at S.

I like Coples, and think we can improve our pass rush if we draft a fast OLB (love Jones and pray he makes it to us), but I am very worried about our ability to stop the run with the loss of Pouha and Devito. We need a huge leap from Ellis or another large, space eating body to help this D stop the run.

Jets need two more 34 DE's to keep Coples fresh. Lose of DeVito is HUGE!!! Rt NOW!!! Jets replaced POUHA w/Garey but not #70 Vito. Jets need to sign a 34 DE and draft 1 for this yr. Coples will have a Great yr if jets fillout there roster properly. U can find a bunch of olb's in rds 2-5. Get ur franchise playmakers with ur 1st pics.. Qb's , WR's, RB's, LT's,. Draft is Full of LB's, OL, DL, Safetys, CB's , ect .. ect... EVERY1 KNOWS U GET UR OFFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS EARLY IN DRAFT..

brady slipped thru craks 4 a reason, bc he is a Cheater!

Coples will be the Calais Campbell to Wilkerson's Darnell Dockett. Wilk as the all around great player and Coples as the bigger pass rushing threat.

All League

Exclamation

Imagine the possibilities if 24 is here

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Yes....there would be so little left to pay the rest of the team...

Revis has got to realise that the recent days of nut money contracts like Aso got are over. The salary cap is too tight he can't have his way anymore. If no other team is willing to pony up an attractive offer then he has to honour his contract. For this season at least he'll be in Green and White it's not like he can unilaterally bolt elsewhere. The guy has to get real.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I really try to avoid putting a number or stat on what would determine if a player improves. Coples could have a great year and only get something like 8 sacks depending on how teams treat him. If we have no other pass rushing threats then he will be double teamed. Peppers is regarding as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and he never comes near the tops of the ranking anymore. 10 sacks for him is like 20 sacks for someone else b.c of how teams scheme against him.

For 2013 I just want to see Coples to prove that he can play every down. Last year they had to take him off the field at times b.c they felt he was undersized (code word for getting pushed around).
    When you're playing 2 gap you have to read your blocks. That takes a while to learn. Took Wilk a good year. You have to stay down to keep leverage, but you have to know which gap to fill. If you try to peak in the backfield you get run over. Ellis had that same problem the beginning of the year. Rex also said he was going to play Coples on the edge more this year. That would be in the strong side LB position, but he'd have his hand down, so they will call it a 4-3. He did that a lot the last few games last year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I really try to avoid putting a number or stat on what would determine if a player improves. Coples could have a great year and only get something like 8 sacks depending on how teams treat him. If we have no other pass rushing threats then he will be double teamed. Peppers is regarding as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and he never comes near the tops of the ranking anymore. 10 sacks for him is like 20 sacks for someone else b.c of how teams scheme against him.

For 2013 I just want to see Coples to prove that he can play every down. Last year they had to take him off the field at times b.c they felt he was undersized (code word for getting pushed around).

This is exactly right.

All Pro
    I expect to see a similar leap from Coples to the one we saw with Mo. Think about, 5.5 sacks with limited playing time just Shows you how much potential he has. We got one of the best DLine coaches in the league and Rex knows a Thing or two about D. Wilkerson and Coples are good friends and you can bet Mo will push him throughout the summer.

The big question mark for the DLine is Ellis. Can he stay healthy? Can he finally deliver his strong Play for an entire season? If he can then we got propably the best Young defensive line in the game... atleast one of the best...

Strongest area on the team. Our pass rush is going to be night & day from last year.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Idzik is doing that right now....

still doing it.....

wow, we could...and THEN, we could...OMG....hmmmmmmmmm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...-better-future

Speaking of respect for Wilkerson, embedded in the above linked article is a video by Nfl scout Bucky Brooks comparing excellent prospect Shariff Floyd to Mo Wilks, and highlights the latter's fearsome abilities and dominant presence all along the DL and mentioning him as a similar centerpiece to build D's around.

That's crow for all the mouthbreathing slobs who can't appreciate Wilk's performance and impact...

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post

Speaking of respect for Wilkerson, embedded in the above linked article is a video by Nfl scout Bucky Brooks comparing excellent prospect Shariff Floyd to Mo Wilks, and highlights the latter's fearsome abilities and dominant presence all along the DL and mentioning him as a similar centerpiece to build D's around.

That's crow for all the mouthbreathing slobs who can't appreciate Wilk's performance and impact...
    Thanks Fiji

+1

Mo is the truth.

Floyd probably has a little bit better explosion off the ball, but Mo has better measurables (taller, bigger, and most importantly, has much longer arms).

Makes me wonder if we are better off keeping Revis or trading him. If our D line has a big increase in QB pressures and sacks then I don't see a major impact that he will add to this D as the secondary did fine last year without him. I mean I think beefing up the pass rush and getting linebackers that can chase down guys and actually tackle them are the key things this team needs! I hope they get a couple of low picks for Revis from a desperate team. See Ya Darrelle! and thanks for the memories. It's a business yada yada yada. Didn't mean to go so off the post though. Coples IMO showed beastly signs last year and I do expect a bigger contribution from him as well as Ellis. Rex deserves to be the coach and should be for years to come. I can really see us all saying in 4 or 5 years how lucky we are to finally have a steady winning coach here for a long time. Lets hope he keeps learning from his mistakes and gets better and better. I like the fact that this D can be very good for many years to come. The more draft picks we hit on the better the future will be. Yea we still need to fill some holes but the most important positions on D are shaping up. If the Offense can just minimize the turnovers and keep the D off the field longer than that will also be a nice shot in the arm!

His rookie year and certainly the beginning of last season? Wilk was NOTHING special. Certainly wasn't getting after the QB. Was getting run on.

But as the season wore on, he really came into his own. He was much better in the running game. On pass rushing he still certainly is not where he should be, but I do see potential. Late last season he really started to show a push for the QB.

So although football X whatever website might call him the most stupendously awesome player after JJ Watt. I'm looking at what I see watching the games. He's improved a lot since last season, we can now tell that he has ability to both participate in the running game and get after the QB. Now he needs to just simply get much better in both areas.

Remember, most posters here thought Wilk was another Shaun Ellis. At this point, I'd definitely beg to differ. This kid seems to have more consistency than Ellis ever did.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    the key is some kind of a pass rush from the linebackers....the squad has already gotten faster and we have not even reached the draft....with fast linebackers, this d line might be scary in 2013.....i don't expect much this season, but I have a feeling this team will be competetive and be a pain in other teams butts.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    applauded the selection.. thought his play improved as he got more opportunity to play....

very happy with leap Big MO had from rookie to 2nd year. Hope to see same from Coples....

I think Coples can develop into a true "BEAST"...