Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idzik Shows Jets are in Charge

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik Shows Jets are in Charge

Jets in no rush to make a deal

March, 19, 2013
    Mar 19

9:25

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
    Recommend3
    Tweet5
    Comments146
    Email
    Print

A week ago, Darrelle Revis was supposedly a goner. Now there are reports that the Bucs' interest in him is cooling. So which is it?

The word I'm getting from the NFL meetings in Phoenix is that Jets GM John Idzik is in no rush to make a trade and that he's willing to let it play out until after the draft. Why wait?

The Jets are on a long-term rebuilding plan, and Idzik apparently isn't married to the idea of having immediate draft-pick compensation -- if he decides to move his best player, which is what many expect to happen. He's telling people he'd be content to wait for 2014 compensation, when he could use an extra No. 1 pick (and maybe other picks) to maneuver for a quarterback.

Of course, if the Bucs make him an offer he can't refuse, Idzik would pull the trigger now. The sense, though, is that he'll let it play out, waiting for Revis' surgically repaired knee to heal and perhaps hoping another team enters the fray to create a bidding war.

The risk is that the Bucs will bow out and no other serious suitors will step up. Broncos exec John Elway said Tuesday he has no interest in trading for Revis, and the 49ers reportedly feel the same way -- two teams linked to a potential trade.

Right now, it's all about the Bucs. Now, this twist: There are rumblings the Bucs are frustrated by the slow-moving Jets and losing interest, and that they're prepared to shift their focus to free-agent CB Brent Grimes.

Brent Grimes? Does anybody really believe the Bucs expect Grimes to save their league-worst pass defense? He's not even close to a healthy Revis. The way the cornerback market has plunged, the Bucs could sign Grimes and trade for Revis. The Grimes stuff is just a well-placed leak in an attempt to rattle the Jets.

League sources believe the Revis camp wants to get this done ASAP. Revis knows the Bucs are willing to pay what he wants on a new contract (or in the neighborhood) and he sees them as a team with potential. He'd also be only a few hours from his home in South Florida. But, really, it's about the money. If the Bucs pull out, will anybody else step up to satisfy Revis?

That's the fear for Revis. And, to a lesser extent, the Jets, too.

GOOD FOR IDZIK!! WHY DOES CIMINI FEEL WE HAVE TO WORRY AND REACT TO THE BUCS? THE JETS SHOULD MOVE AT THEIR OWN PACE, WHAT IS THE RUSH? REVIS IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TEAM, WE SHOULD NOT RUSH TO TAKE ANY DEAL OFFERED! KUDOS TO IDZIK!
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 03-20-2013 at 05:14 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a 1st in 2014. Feel other holes this year. Let the dust settle on the QB situation in 2013. Maybe there's a diamond in the rough on the roster already.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love what he is doing!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik has really took command of this situation and settled everything down immediately.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far, so good. I like what I have heard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of the way Sandy Alderson has handled similar situations with the Mets. Didn't rush on Carlos Beltran, found the right deal and got Zack Wheeler, one of the best pitching prospects in baseball who's going to debut this year. Didn't panic with RA Dickey, and got the best catching prospect in baseball Travid d'Arnaud and another great young pitching prospect. He took his time and waited for the right deal. Looks like Idzik is attempting to do the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Get a 1st in 2014. Feel other holes this year. Let the dust settle on the QB situation in 2013. Maybe there's a diamond in the rough on the roster already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Reminds me of the way Sandy Alderson has handled similar situations with the Mets. Didn't rush on Carlos Beltran, found the right deal and got Zack Wheeler, one of the best pitching prospects in baseball who's going to debut this year. Didn't panic with RA Dickey, and got the best catching prospect in baseball Travid d'Arnaud and another great young pitching prospect. He took his time and waited for the right deal. Looks like Idzik is attempting to do the same.
    I get your point and there are some similiarities. But Idzik IS NOT getting 3 years carte blanche. 2013 is his honeymoon. That is all you get in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rumor is that they offered the 2014 1st rounder. I would have taken that depending on what else was in the deal. But I like how he is representing the Jet right now so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately, his success or failure will be determined by whether or not he finds us a QB and how well he drafts. It is plain and simple.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4841629]Rumor is that they offered the 2014 1st rounder. I would have taken that depending on what else was in the deal.

If the Buc's were willing to throw in this years second rounder along with next years one, that should make it a slam dunk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Yankees fan I am not used to this approach, but if it is in the team's best interests long term, than I am all for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

its true - when in doubt, feel other holes. Not the usual ones.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buc the Fuccs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's scary to think we are being compared to the Mets, but Alderson did do well to replenish the youth. Thankfully we have a salary cap and don't have Freddy coupon as an owner!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fltflo;4841639]
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rumor is that they offered the 2014 1st rounder. I would have taken that depending on what else was in the deal.

If the Buc's were willing to throw in this years second rounder along with next years one, that should make it a slam dunk.
    or even a 3rd or 4th/6th. the point is aggregate compensation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as Cimini and the beat reporters and hacks like Mehta try, Idzik will not be phased by what these collective morons write, and will not let this turn into another circus. Now if only Rex would get with the program!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    As much as Cimini and the beat reporters and hacks like Mehta try, Idzik will not be phased by what these collective morons write, and will not let this turn into another circus. Now if only Rex would get with the program!
    That would be much easier then getting the fans on board..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting takeaway for me is that maybe Tampa Bay are alone amongst the 32 NFL teams in that they seem willing to meet Revis' price.

Need at least two teams for a bidding war no matter how much we think Idzik is in control of all this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Interesting takeaway for me is that maybe Tampa Bay are alone amongst the 32 NFL teams in that they seem willing to meet Revis' price.

Need at least two teams for a bidding war no matter how much we think Idzik is in control of all this.
    i think there are more teams. i still think SF is a major player. they just lost goldson (sp), and they got torched by flacco in the supe. and they have too many picks to use. but the moment multiple teams officially enter the revis sweepstakes, the price goes up. so i think teams are waiting around, testing idzik to see if he makes a panic move.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

I would be surprised if anyone really knows Revis's price. And that price is dropping as time goes on.