Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Tweets & Info 03/20

Jets Tweets & Info 03/20

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Both Idzik and Bradway at Tennessee pro day. Will get to take a look at Cordarrelle Patterson.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex Ryan tells me he's going to be Jets def play caller. First time he'll make majority, if not, all calls since '09 http://nydn.us/ZSmpMC

PHOENIX — Rex Ryan is returning to his roots to ensure that the Jets remain among the NFL’s elite defenses this season.

A few months after defensive coordinator Mike Pettine left to accept the same position with the Bills, Ryan told the Daily News that he will assume the defensive play-calling duties in 2013. New defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman will have input, but Ryan will be the triggerman after relinquishing those responsibilities last season. Earlier this month, Thurman admitted that he hadn’t discussed play-calling with Ryan and that “it doesn’t really matter to me who calls it.”

“Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now,” Ryan told The News at the league meetings on Tuesday. “It’s something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I’ll make the calls (and have) the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar.”

Ryan called the majority of the defensive plays when he took over in 2009 en route to having the top overall defense in the league, but gradually handed those responsibilities to Pettine. Last season, Ryan made the third-down calls before relinquishing those duties for the second half of the season.

Ryan will have a more integral role in defensive meetings during the week. Thurman will provide his insight and input, including on the sideline on game days, but Ryan will assume nearly the same role that he had four years ago.

“I enjoy it,” Ryan said. “There’s no question. I enjoy the meetings, which I’ll be more involved in. I love it, because that’s my roots. I think that any coach loves teaching. That gives me an opportunity to teach and to be really more hands-on with that unit.”

The Jets finished in the Top 5 in total defense in Ryan’s first three years before slipping to eighth last season. He didn’t seem overly concerned that he’ll have to replace at least seven starters, excluding the possible loss of Darrelle Revis via trade.

“One thing I know for sure about this football team — since I’ve been here and as long as I’ll ever be here — is we will be one of the premier defenses in the league,” Ryan said. “The Jet way is playing great defense.”

I'm sure they will also look at Justin Hunter (WR), Dallas Thomas (OT), Tyler Bray (QB), Da'Rick Rogers (WR), Montori Hughes (DT) (Rogers and Hughes are from Tenn Teach and Tenn Martin so they may be at a differnt pro day)

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Both Idzik and Bradway at Tennessee pro day. Will get to take a look at Cordarrelle Patterson.
    noooooooooo. paradis says we need more defense.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Jets can't worry about "potential" guys right now. athletic freak? yeah, but pretty raw too. Jets already have a similar guy in Hill. Jets don't have the luxury of being able to draft projects at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Jets can't worry about "potential" guys right now. athletic freak? yeah, but pretty raw too. Jets already have a similar guy in Hill. Jets don't have the luxury of being able to draft projects at the moment
    true. but what if the jets are talking to teams about trading back 10 spots. never know.

But if these projects pan out we have 2 beasts at WR...WEAPONS!!!!!!

I don't want Patterson, but why don't the Jets have the luxury to pick projects now? I could argue that now is exactly when they should pick projects. They won't be good in 2013 anyway so they're not in need of someone who can immediately contribute.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    But if these projects pan out we have 2 beasts at WR...WEAPONS!!!!!!
    "If" is a big word.

We need guys who can start. Although Patterson probably would start bc our WRs are so bad.

Then there is the issue of how to get them the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I don't want Patterson, but why don't the Jets have the luxury to pick projects now? I could argue that now is exactly when they should pick projects. They won't be good in 2013 anyway so they're not in need of someone who can immediately contribute.
    What I meant was no more "potential" picks taken so high in the draft. No college player is guaranteed to make an impact in the NFL. But guys like Ducasse, Hill, Ellis, etc., were all raw college players taken high (Rd 2-3) based on potential. Ducasse and Ellis played subpar competition, Hill is an athletic freak but is obviously not as polished as many second round WRs.

I know the Jets will struggle this season, but I'm on the side who thinks this team needs to make "safer" picks in the early rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    What I meant was no more "potential" picks taken so high in the draft. No college player is guaranteed to make an impact in the NFL. But guys like Ducasse, Hill, Ellis, etc., were all raw college players taken high (Rd 2-3) based on potential. Ducasse and Ellis played subpar competition, Hill is an athletic freak but is obviously not as polished as many second round WRs.

I know the Jets will struggle this season, but I'm on the side who thinks this team needs to make "safer" picks in the early rounds.
    I agree. We need to find guys who could start on a decent NFL team. With the holes on our roster we don't have the luxury of being able to miss on a high pick.

I think Ducasse is a lost cause. I remain optimistic about Hill and Ellis.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Hopefully they will be spending alot more time watching the guy throwing him the ball, Tyler Bray.

Would Mo Wilk fall under this?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Hopefully they will be spending alot more time watching the guy throwing him the ball, Tyler Bray.
    +1 get this guy in the 3rd or 4th round

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So did Jerry Rice at Mississippi Valley state..

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Folk is now on NFLPA records with a $715,000 base salary for 2013. As @RichCimini noted, $65 K in bonus money.

Would Mo Wilk fall under this?
    Temple certainly played inferior competition, but if I remember Mo Wilk was highly regarded by many teams. A guy who could come in and contribute right away. Ducasse and Ellis had the size/strength combo, but needed to be coached up in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So did Jerry Rice at Mississippi Valley state..
    Rice is a once in a lifetime player and absolutely dominated at 1-AA. He nearly averaged 3 TDs per game in '84

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

That's really good news to hear that Rex will be taking over the defensive play calling again. Don't care what the stats said, our defense sucked last year. We had a handful of good games against terrible offenses and got shredded by the teams with good offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That's really good news to hear that Rex will be taking over the defensive play calling again. Don't care what the stats said, our defense sucked last year. We had a handful of good games against terrible offenses and got shredded by the teams with good offenses.
    By Adam Schein
    NFL.com
    Published: Aug. 7, 2012

Here's the key. Ryan has attempted to be less controversial, but he remains super confident, recently saying he's the best defensive mind in the NFL.

OK, he's not Belichick or Dick LeBeau, but I'd put Ryan next on that list. His body of work speaks for itself. He has worked hand-in-hand with coordinator -- and longtime friend -- Mike Pettine to coach the defense.

Now Ryan is taking ownership, planning to call plays. With Sparano implementing Ryan's offensive plan, he can focus more intensely on defense and on improving his in-game management.

Ryan was livid that his defense finished fifth last year, though frankly, if you watched the Jets play, you wondered how they ranked that high. The Jets showed poor tackling fundamentals and struggled in the fourth quarter, and it made Ryan sick. He vowed that his defense wouldn't finish that low again. He has the fire. He has the résumé. He has player support; as linebacker David Harris said, "We refuse to let him down again."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-bowl-one-day

All League
    By Adam Schein
    NFL.com
    Published: Aug. 7, 2012

Here's the key. Ryan has attempted to be less controversial, but he remains super confident, recently saying he's the best defensive mind in the NFL.

OK, he's not Belichick or Dick LeBeau, but I'd put Ryan next on that list. His body of work speaks for itself. He has worked hand-in-hand with coordinator -- and longtime friend -- Mike Pettine to coach the defense.

Now Ryan is taking ownership, planning to call plays. With Sparano implementing Ryan's offensive plan, he can focus more intensely on defense and on improving his in-game management.

Ryan was livid that his defense finished fifth last year, though frankly, if you watched the Jets play, you wondered how they ranked that high. The Jets showed poor tackling fundamentals and struggled in the fourth quarter, and it made Ryan sick. He vowed that his defense wouldn't finish that low again. He has the fire. He has the résumé. He has player support; as linebacker David Harris said, "We refuse to let him down again."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-bowl-one-day
    lol