Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kolb

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Kolb

I like this guy. If the O-line can hold up, he'd be a good pickup. If the team stinks badly enough, Kolb would essentially preclude the need to draft a QB and hope and pray he's decent. Which could open the door for Clowney.

An upgrade at RB (if they could, say, steal Lattimore late this year) and stink bad enough to get JaDaveon Clowney would give the Jets one of the most exciting defensive lines in the NFL. If they trade Revis and get more picks, then maybe that could possibly yield Yeldon later in the first next year.

I mean, yes, it's predicated on being terrible this year. But in the long run, Kolb, Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Yeldon, and Lattimore is a great combination of skill guys. Provided the O-line doesn't get worse and doesn't let Kolb get killed.

Then on Defense, apart from needing a safety (which could possibly be upgraded this year with the UFA Kerry Rhodes) the team wouldn't look that bad, and that D-line would be insane (Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Clowney.) The real beauty being that 3 of the four could play standing up. You could get VERY creative with a line like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I like this guy. If the O-line can hold up, he'd be a good pickup. If the team stinks badly enough, Kolb would essentially preclude the need to draft a QB and hope and pray he's decent. Which could open the door for Clowney.

An upgrade at RB (if they could, say, steal Lattimore late this year) and stink bad enough to get JaDaveon Clowney would give the Jets one of the most exciting defensive lines in the NFL. If they trade Revis and get more picks, then maybe that could possibly yield Yeldon later in the first next year.

I mean, yes, it's predicated on being terrible this year. But in the long run, Kolb, Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Yeldon, and Lattimore is a great combination of skill guys. Provided the O-line doesn't get worse and doesn't let Kolb get killed.

Then on Defense, apart from needing a safety (which could possibly be upgraded this year with the UFA Kerry Rhodes) the team wouldn't look that bad, and that D-line would be insane (Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, Clowney.) The real beauty being that 3 of the four could play standing up. You could get VERY creative with a line like that.
    I don't mind adding Kolb for short money, because Garrard's injury history could mean Sanchez wins the QB battle by default, which is unacceptable.

But let's be realistic about Kolb, who couldn't beat out John Skelton in Arizona. He would in no way make QB less of a priority going forward, barring a pretty miraculous turn of events that no responsible evaluator would ever assume.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    I don't mind adding Kolb for short money, because Garrard's injury history could mean Sanchez wins the QB battle by default, which is unacceptable.

But let's be realistic about Kolb, who couldn't beat out John Skelton in Arizona. He would in no way make QB less of a priority going forward, barring a pretty miraculous turn of events that no responsible evaluator would ever assume.
    Arizona was having a fantastic season last year until their terrible O-line got Kolb killed.

Kolb was the QB who beat New England. Kolb is more appealing and has a better track record than Flynn, especially in regard to Mornhinweg.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass on someone else's used garbage

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Piss on someone else's used garbage
    Fixed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the Jets are done pursing him. Maybe the price was too high. His Wiki page listed him as a Jet with the #4, now he is back to being a free agent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's wonderful. That means the two best QBs on the roster are Jeremy Kerley and David Garrard.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Looks like the Jets are done pursing him. Maybe the price was too high. His Wiki page listed him as a Jet with the #4, now he is back to being a free agent.
    Probably right about the high price, but it doesn't sound like his phone is ringing off the hook, either.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone can edit a Wikipedia page.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin Kolb makes Pennington look like Robocop. All the talent in the world is useless if you can't stay out on the field, and frankly Kolb's talent level is questionable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post

You're being ridiculous if you would take Clowney over Teddy Bridgewater.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Well its not that crazy as of today. We know Clowney is a stud. An elite defensive player that comes along once a decade. No one questions that.

Bridgewater looks really good, but so did Barkley at this point last year and now he may not be a 1st round talent.

Considering our need for a QB, i would bet that we end up taking BRidgewater at 1 next year (assuming we have it), but its not far fetched to suggest that Bridgewater's stock could drop next year (has a bad year) and Clowney emerges as the no brainer number 1 pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bridgewater's good, but QB's bust. I mean, do you envy the situation Carolina is in with Newton?

Do you honestly think that Newton, who hasn't really been worth crap since the first half of his rookie year will truly evolve with his petulant attitude?

Bridgewater scares me in that regard.
    Manziel scares me simply due to his size.

Clowney reeks of being the best Defensive player since Lawrence Taylor. Crap shoot vs. sure thing.

And what I'm trying to say is that the perception of Kolb being bad is amplified by an O-line that is absolutely horrid since Warner was there.

Kolb had success in Philly under Mornhinweg and was 4-0 to start last year until the O-line got him killed. I don't think Kolb's that bad. He's more proven than Flynn and, frankly, looks better.

I mean I'd take him over Flynn and Foles. He's won in this league. The Jets O-line is already WAAAAAAAY better than AZ's.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 03-20-2013 at 12:21 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the following on serveral different internet sports news outlets yesterday. I was surprised that I didn't see discussion about it on this board. It was almost buried in an article about another subject and easy to miss. Maybe that's why it wasn't discussed. Nonetheless, the way it's worded, it's almost an outright admission that they are looking at Kolb. I would go so far as to say, it's quite likely negotiations are ongoing. JMO...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ryan-te...3521--nfl.html

Ryan: Tebow will be Jet at least through mini-camp
    By Terry McCormick | National Football Post – Tue, Mar 19, 2013 12:06 PM EDT

coach Rex Ryan said that Tim Tebow will remain on the roster at least through mini-camps, per Bart Hubbuch of the New York Times. Hubboch tweeted out quotes and notes from the AFC coaches breakfast at the NFL owners meetings and the talk of Tebow wasn't the only quarterback-related item that Ryan discussed.

Ryan said that recently signed David Garrard, who has been out of the NFL for two seasons mostly due to injuries, was very impressive in his tryout and that the Jets would not have brought him aboard if he wasn't healthy.

Ryan also said that the team would explore the possibility of Kevin Kolbm, recently released in Arizona and a former pupil of new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg when both were with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw quite a bit of Arizona last season and he actually played very well until he went out for the season.

I think he'd be a fine addition as he'd win the starting job but in reality he simply won't play the sixteen games for you and he was released for not taking a paycut which means he'll want a high paying, long term deal which we won't entertain.

Nice idea, doesn't quite work in practice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kolb would be an excellent addition providing he could stay on the field. The guy is a good QB his problem is after 2-4 weeks he gets knocked out for the season. Look at Arizona the first 4 weeks when he was QB the Cards were 4-0 he got knocked out for the season and the card lose the rest of their games. If Kolb stays on the field for the Jets guaranteed they wont be picking up Bridgewater or clowney because they will knocked out of the top 10. Maybe its better they just stick with Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    kolb would be a good pick up. he's played well for two teams and that means he may be able to do as well with the jets. keep him upright and he can get the ball to the right guy.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    GOOD

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clowney is a once in a life time prospect. You still have no clue what Bridgewater really is. He is no sure bet. Heck yes I'm taking the guy who many are saying should be a HOFer even when he hasn't played a down. Not taking him would be like taking a TE over Warren Sapp because you need a TE.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not seeing the $ for another QB. If Revis traded add $3 to cap. If we get the Bucs 2013 # 1 pick add $1.8 to cap
    Bucs 2013 # 2 pick add $.860 to cap
    Bucs 2013 # 3 pick add $.567 to cap

were at about $113 of 123 with $6 for Draft picks.

Would liketo send Tebow to Bucs for $2.5 cap savings or eventually cut hm to save $1 in cap
    Last edited by angrybeancounter; 03-20-2013 at 06:00 PM.