Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '13 Draft Info-General News & Articles

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

'13 Draft Info-General News & Articles

Thought I would make a new thread for general draft articles out there..Mods, can merge / delete whatever if they don't approve.

As info..Phil Savage is an ex-NFL GM and now heads up the Senior Bowl.

DRAFT COUNTDOWN: Savage's 'Six in the Box' Defenders
    Senior Bowl "Countdown to the Draft"

With six weeks left before the NFL Draft begins on April 25, Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage goes inside the numbers and "counts down" their significance with his own unique perspective.

"SIX-in-the-Box" Defenders
    With the prevalence of so much "11" (one-running back/one-tight end/three-wide receivers) and "12" (one-RB/two-TE's/two-WR's) personnel being utilized by NFL offenses, the answer on the defensive side of the football has been the Nickel package (five-defensive backs with a combination of SIX defensive linemen and linebackers). The SIX defensive linemen and linebackers can be arranged in a 4-2 or 3-3 front with the five defensive backs providing run support and coverage from the secondary. It is imperative for NFL clubs to find "front SIX" defenders that have the versatility to play both the run and pass, while also having the ability to pressure and chase down the modern day quarterback who has mobility and a quick release.

The evolution of the Zone-Blitz schemes as well as the volume of pressure-packages being used by defensive coordinators is only enhanced when they can employ athletes that have multi-dimensional skills. With that said, here is a set of SIX draft-eligible prospects that should be able to stay on the field for all three downs with particular success on 3rd down:

"3-3-5" Package (with OLB as DE)
    DE Ziggy Ansah BYU (DE and Sub DT)
    -At 6052/271 and running 4.63, Ziggy has the physical tools that will make him a likely top 10 pick. He is an ideal fit as a 4-3 DE that can turn speed to power and affect the QB. Plus, not only can he drop off into zone coverage, but he also has some experience as an interior rusher during his two-year career at BYU. Ziggy may have the highest ceiling of any prospect in the draft, it will be fascinating to see which team has the courage and vision to take him early.

DT Sharrif Floyd Florida (DT)
    -This Junior declare not only has the size and strength to defend the point-of-attack in the run game, but also the up-field quickness to penetrate and puncture the pocket on passing downs. With his active hands and athletic feet, he can win early and then close to the QB with his short-area burst and effort.

DT Datone Jones UCLA (inside Sub DT)
    -Datone is a defensive end by trade and has shown the versatility of fitting in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. The value of his game comes when he can slide inside on Sub downs and rush from the interior and that is why he is showing up in some mock drafts as a potential late 1st round pick.

OB Dion Jordan Oregon (outside Sub DE)
    -Dion spent much of his senior season playing in space as an outside linebacker in Oregon's version of the 3-4. He possesses the tools to become a quality pass rusher from the outside with his speed and length. Regardless of where he is chosen, Dion will get plenty of chances to rush off the edge as a rookie. Finished his career with 29 tackles-for-loss and 14.5 sacks.

OB Barkevious Mingo LSU (rush/drop OLB)
    -KeKe is a classic "hybrid" defender with the freakish athletic ability needed to rush the passer or drop off into coverage. More "threat" than actual "weapon" right now, offensive teams will have to account for him because of his acceleration off the corner. Like Jordan at Oregon, he completed his career with 29 tackles-for-loss and 15 sacks, so it will be interesting to see which of these two prospects ends up with the more productive NFL career.

IB Alec Ogletree Georgia (Nickel/Mac ILB)
    -This former free safety has grown into the 240lb range with long arms and obvious range. He is a classic run-and-hit "Will" linebacker on early downs with the coverage ability to match up with running backs and tight ends down the field. And, with his big-time acceleration, he is always a threat to blitz from off-the-line. Ended his junior season with 111 total tackles, 11.5 tackles-for-loss, 3 sacks, 9 hurries, 5 pass breakups and an interception.

Here are the next dozen prospects that will be considered as "SIX-in-the-Box" defenders:

DE- Margus Hunt/SMU (DE/DT), Cornelius Washington/Georgia (DE/DT/OB),
    Bjoern Werner/Florida State (DE/DT)
    DT- Star Lotulelei/Utah, Sheldon Richardson/Missouri
    OB- Jamie Collins/Southern Miss (OB/DE), Jarvis Jones/Georgia (OB/DE),
    Corey Lemonier/Auburn (OB/DE)
    IB- Jon Bostic/Florida, Zaviar Gooden/Missouri, Khaseem Greene/Rutgers,
    Sio Moore/UConn

http://seniorbowl.com/article.asp?articleID=541

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    49ers HC Jim Harbaugh on USC QB Matt Barkley and the process leading up to the draft: "Tis the season for ripping apart someone's game."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Gil_Brandt: I'm not buying the Jaguars', Eagles' and Browns' interest in Geno Smith. #smokescreen http://t.co/zE34Rbqpwd

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    CMart.....Tnx for posting Savage's stuff. Kinda like him. Humor me for a second. Let's say Jets do Revis trade with Tampon Bay and get #13. How would you feel about Warmack at#9 and then Ogletree at #13? Could be alot worse, and probably will be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    CMart.....Tnx for posting Savage's stuff. Kinda like him. Humor me for a second. Let's say Jets do Revis trade with Tampon Bay and get #13. How would you feel about Warmack at#9 and then Ogletree at #13? Could be alot worse, and probably will be.
    Me? I'd look to trade down (at least once if not multiple times) and gather more picks. Thus you end up with 3,4,5,6 top 100-125 picks for Revis as opposed to 1 or 2.

Of course you need teams to trade down with. So if you can't trade down I'd rather take an OLB prospect in place of Ogletree perhaps a Mingo or Moore (assuming Jordan is long gone). Isn't Ogletree more of an ILB especially in a 3-4? And isn't #13 aliitle high?

I'd have no problem with Warmack or Cooper.

Disclaimer: I don't watch film and still reading the various draft reports via draft sources.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @Gil_Brandt: I'm not buying the Jaguars', Eagles' and Browns' interest in Geno Smith. #smokescreen http://t.co/zE34Rbqpwd
    If the Eagles are a smoke scream that is the dickest smoke screen ever pulled off. No one is really in position to trade up into the top 5 really. Buff and Zona, and us need to fill roster spots and all the other teams looking at QBs are too far back for that. Also why a smoke screen at 4 in this draft? Even if Buff or Zona trade out with KC or Jax how does that help Philly? Your willing to waste what few moments you get to look at draft prospects just so some other team overpays to move over you? You only have so much time to look at these guys and can only look at so many. If they started with Nessib pushing him as their man maybe I'd buy smokescreen. This is 2 QBs now they have looked at and have made it quite clear they are build a future not a one and done PO team right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @PatKirwanCBS: talkin'w' Trevardo WilliamsofUConn-Explosive! OLB in a 3-4 type-He said interviews w/Colts&Broncos went well

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Gil_Brandt: Joe Montana just called me. Wants an honest evaluation of his son, who will work out at Super Regional Combine 4/7-8 in Dallas. #nopressure

@Gil_Brandt: I'll take look at young Nate Montana at the combine, and give Joe my honest thoughts. Joe's not attending. Told him he'd have to come armed.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-20-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: Am told Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs brain trust and OLine coach were in BYU several days ago to workout Braden Brown and Ziggy Ansah

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: New England Patriots worked out Don Jones/Arkansas St today at both cornerback and safety...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Here are the QB matches I hear most often from NFL sources: Bills-Geno, AZ-Glennon, JAX-Nassib, PHI-Manuel…for what it's worth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Here are the QB matches I hear most often from NFL sources: Bills-Geno, AZ-Glennon, JAX-Nassib, PHI-Manuel…for what it's worth.
    which would leave the jets with......sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    which would leave the jets with......sanchez.
    Good. I want to see how responds this year with MM, and better players.

But, I'd like Idzy to draft Tyler Bray in the 3rd.

Have a nice competition in camp with Sanchez, Bray & Garrard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Sources: Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell has Jets, Cowboys visits, private workout with them, Buccaneers: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1278735&nid=6202895&fhn=1 …

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
    Sources: Michigan State running back Le'Veon Bell has Jets, Cowboys visits, private workout with them, Buccaneers: http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1278735&nid=6202895&fhn=1 …
    I love Le'Veon Bell and hes one of the best RB's available in this draft IMO, however I dont see how he fits a WCO at all. Interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    A Bills contingent including their HC, GM, asst GM, Pres are scheduled to work out Tennessee QB Tyler Bray in Knoxville, next Sat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of which makes me very happy. Let the better non Qb prospects fall to us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: Alabama RB Eddie Lacy, who missed combine and ALA Pro Day due to hamstring issue, will work out for teams April 11th.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    @AdamSchefter: Alabama RB Eddie Lacy, who missed combine and ALA Pro Day due to hamstring issue, will work out for teams April 11th.
    Some people are not high on this guy but he sure looked good to me in a few games last year....it is Bama however. The guy I really like from there however is Yeldon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: Buzz at the BYU pro-day is Jamar Taylor/CB/Boise State, could slide into the late part of round one.