Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: '13 Draft Info-General News & Articles

Top QB guru: Tyler Wilson is best passer in Class of 2013

Before the Washington Redskins selected Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 overall pick in last year's NFL Draft, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner fine-tuned his mechanics under reputed quarterback guru Terry Shea.

While Shea hasn't quite placed Tyler Wilson in Griffin's class in the days leading up to this year's draft, the former Bears offensive coordinator believes Wilson could materialize into a solid quarterback on the next level.

As Geno Smith and Matt Barkley continue to receive high first-round grades in a number of mock drafts, Shea remains baffled the former Arkansas quarterback lingers as a projected second-round pick.

"I would take Tyler Wilson first in this class," Shea told Jim Corbett of USA Today Sports. "I'm very strong on Tyler Wilson. Everything adds up to an A-plus. I know Geno Smith is way up there [but] I don't know what is going on in terms of teams not recognizing Tyler Wilson is a first-round draft pick.

Shea, who worked under Bill Walsh at Stanford in the early 1990s, spent several months this offseason mentoring Wilson at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. Wilson, who became the first Razorbacks quarterback to receive first-team All-SEC honors in 2011, also trained alongside Smith and Barkley.

Since leaving the Rams following the 2008 season, Shea has helped a number of prominent quarterbacks prepare for the draft. In 2009, Shea mentored Matthew Stafford and Josh Freeman, who were taken No. 1 and 17th overall. Shea has also tutored Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert and Collin Klein.

In 2011, Wilson ranked in the top 25 in FBS in passing efficiency after finishing with 3,638 yards and a 4-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio (24 touchdowns, six interceptions). Wilson's numbers dipped last season after missing a loss to Alabama with a concussion. Shea, however, is enamored with Wilson's footwork, arm strength and intelligence on the field.

"Robert Griffin III was very special when I worked with him last year, but this guy's RPMs are about as good as it gets in terms of how he can drive the ball," Shea told USA Today Sports. "He's not 4.5 in the 40 but he has fluid feet. He [also has] a really sharp quarterback IQ."

Wilson is scheduled to meet with the Bills next week.

"Hopefully someone assesses me to be an early pick," Wilson told USA Today Sports. "I want to be really successful and I'm going to do what it takes to get there."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-class-of-2013

@MoveTheSticks: Not a lot of options for teams looking for a pass rusher in RD 2….Plenty of RD 2 options at every other defensive position.

@MoveTheSticks: RT @JetLife9896: sio moore? > 2nd round is too rich for me…Really liked him at all-star games but didn't love the regular season tape.

@MoveTheSticks: RT @Ebookstaber: What about Jamie Collins? he was off the charts at the combine> Could see late 2nd, I'd prefer early 3rd.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.

@MoveTheSticks: As we get closer to the draft, I'm paying special attention to the names my NFL buddies DON'T mention… #PrincessBride #BattleOfWits

@buffalobills: Private workouts with the #Bills today:

QB Ryan Nassib
    G/C Zack Chibane
    WR Alec Lemon
    WR Marcus Sales
    TE David Stevens

@JustinPugh67: “@DanMcClurgMusic: @buffalobills what about @JustinPugh67 kids a beast!!” Nope didn't work out for them

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
    Alabama RT D..J. Fluker is one of true rising players in draft; remember, most teams just began draft meetings in earnest last week

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
    Cris Carter's son Duron won't work out at Super Regional Combine. Has the flu. Worked out for @MiamiDolphins on Wed

December 26, 2012
    The Christmas season has seen the apparent end of a college football career that promised much -- and never materialized.

Wide receiver Duron Carter has left FAU, Owls head coach Carl Pelini recently confirmed to the Sun-Sentinel and Owl Access, and is expected to enter April's NFL Draft. A native of the greater Miami area, Carter enrolled at FAU after 2012 spring practice, hoping to earn a hardship waiver from the NCAA.

That waiver was denied, and Carter leaves without having played a down for the Owls.

The son of NFL great Cris Carter, Duron Carter was one of the top receivers in the recruiting class of 2009 and signed with Ohio State. After one year in Columbus -- where he caught what would be the only 13 receptions and lone touchdown of his FBS career -- he left the team with grade issues and transferred to Coffeyville Community College, where he became one of the nation's top JUCO wideouts.

Carter signed with Alabama in 2011 and was expected to play a major role for both those eventual national champions and the 2012 BCS title game representatives, but grades again prevented him from ever seeing the field, and he left for FAU.

The Sun-Sentinel reported it was "unclear" if Carter left FAU voluntarily or not.

With two seasons spent on the sideline and his most recent high-level football competition coming all the way back in 2009, Carter is not expected to be drafted -- but his famous name and long-sought-after potential could get him a look somewhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tball/21455494
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-08-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    After AZ, OAK and BUF each made QB moves last week, one NFL GM predicted "these quarterbacks in this draft are going to fall like logs."

Hall Of Fame
    Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Close sources tell me DJ Fluker/T/Alabama is a real possibility for the Miami Dolphins with the 12th pick...more later..

NationalFootballPost ‏@FootballPost
    Barkley to visit Bills, Browns

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31 40s
    Alabama guard Chance Warmack is on his way to NY to visit the #Jets.

@nfl: Take a bow, @LawrenceOkoye1. You just put on a show at the Super Regional Combine: http://t.co/maVtynax3e

The NFL Super Regional Combine at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas is hosting 219 players hoping to catch the eye of talent evaluators on Sunday and Monday.

One unique prospect already has stood out to NFL.com's Gil Brandt. Defensive end Lawrence Okoye, the 21-year-old British discus record-holder, was "unbelievably active and incredibly explosive" in drills, according to Brandt.

At nearly 6-foot-6 and 304 pounds, Okoye ran the 40-yard dash in 4.88 and 4.78 seconds while posting a 10-foot-5 broad jump and a 35-inch vertical jump in a "real, first-class show." Brandt called him the class of the defensive linemen in attendance Sunday.

Okoye reportedly turned down an offer to attend the prestigious Oxford University to try out for the NFL. Although Okoye originally expected to sign with a team after the 2013 NFL Draft, Brandt now believes the 2012 Olympian might be drafted.

Also an accomplished rugby player, Okoye recently said that five NFL teams have shown interest in him. After Sunday's impressive performance, that number figures to rise.

@MoveTheSticks: RT @JD_Montemayor: how low could you see Damontre Moore going> middle of the 2nd round wouldn't be a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Close sources tell me DJ Fluker/T/Alabama is a real possibility for the Miami Dolphins with the 12th pick...more later..
    please please please let that happen.

@PatKirwanCBS: check out an unknown RBfrom Missouri Western, Mike Hill...3 teams are having him in for a visit-93 rec in college, sub 4.0 short shuttle

I'm told people in the Keenan Allen/WR/Cal camp are very nervous/concerned about workout today...hoping for best but bracing for otherwise

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'm told people in the Keenan Allen/WR/Cal camp are very nervous/concerned about workout today...hoping for best but bracing for otherwise
    He could run in the 4.6 range, which takes him out of the first and well into the second round.

From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock timed Cal WR Keenan Allen's forties at 4.71 and 4.75 during the prospect's pro day workout.
    Expect a wide variance of times from the pro day. Allen has dealt with a PCL injury during the pre-draft process, but doctors have said his knee is 100 percent, with the muscles surrounding it only around 75 percent. Allen's game isn't based on long speed, rather burst in and out of his breaks and toughness at the catch point.

Unless the knee problem is a serious long-term thing, I'd love it if Allen slipped to the second round.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock timed Cal WR Keenan Allen's forties at 4.71 and 4.75 during the prospect's pro day workout.
    Expect a wide variance of times from the pro day. Allen has dealt with a PCL injury during the pre-draft process, but doctors have said his knee is 100 percent, with the muscles surrounding it only around 75 percent. Allen's game isn't based on long speed, rather burst in and out of his breaks and toughness at the catch point.

Unless the knee problem is a serious long-term thing, I'd love it if Allen slipped to the second round.
    I think that is a certainty right now. How many WRs who run in the 4.7s go in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    From Rotoworld:

with all the other wrs and tes out there, why draft a slow wr with knee issues?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    with all the other wrs and tes out there, why draft a slow wr with knee issues?
    He doesn't play slow.

And like I said the first time, I'd only want him assuming his knee troubles are not a long-term concern.