• no one

23 31.51%
  • wait till clowney time next year

7 9.59%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Qb should we take?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Deep? If by deep in mediocre guys who will be backups you may be right. Seeing as QB is the most important position you have to get it right, we need look no further than our own situation with Sanchez.

To have the attitude that 'we will draft a guy in the 2nd round...if he doesn't work out we will draft another guy next etc lowers the talent level of your team over time. Hey if you love a franchise guy you go after him hard, even trading up but if we pass over a good olineman or WR or OLB or safety in the 2nd round for one of these 'we hope they can do something' QB's it's crazy.

It's all about value and if the guy is a very legit QB to end up being a franchise guy, almost all of the QB's in this draft have a sever limitation in one way or another. Watching Ryan Nassib maybe develop into an okay QB while watching DeAndre Hopkins be a great starter for the next 7 years is not the way to go.

I'm not against drafting QB's. I'm against drafting QB's from this draft class (at least in the top 3 rounds) which looks weak weak weak compared to some other years.
    This.

_

take Tyler Bray in the fourth round who has a lot of upside and questions but by only using 4th rounder we can still take Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel if we have a shot at them next year

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    This.

_
    I'll just take it as you guys don't follow the draft a whole lot. Even if you get a career BU at QB that is well worth a 2-3 round pick. Even if he looks well and you draft anther guy the next year you can always sell him. A good BU can net something in return. Heck Smith just netted 2 2nd rounder and he was widely seen as one of the top 5 bust at QB for a while.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'll just take it as you guys don't follow the draft a whole lot. Even if you get a career BU at QB that is well worth a 2-3 round pick. Even if he looks well and you draft anther guy the next year you can always sell him. A good BU can net something in return. Heck Smith just netted 2 2nd rounder and he was widely seen as one of the top 5 bust at QB for a while.
    Yes, of course you are right, none of us follow the draft a whole lot.

And yes, of course you are right, a back up QB is worth a lot more than a starting WR, OLB, RB, TE, Olineman or safety that you might grab in rounds 2-3, especially when you drafted that BU QB to develop into your franchise QB.

Am so glad you are here to straighten us all out.

_

Meanwhile you watch as the guard or olb or Wr that was sitting there for you becomes a 10 year starter. Hey, I thought the Pats were very smart for drafting mallett a few years back in the 3rd. Possibly develop post brady but also used as a resource, that makes sense. They wee already a power house, with 10 picks or so that year and picked him in the 3rd round.

The Jets have a LOT of holes to fill, we can't afford to draft a Qb on spec in the 2nd round.

Meanwhile you watch as the guard or olb or Wr that was sitting there for you becomes a 10 year starter. Hey, I thought the Pats were very smart for drafting mallett a few years back in the 3rd. Possibly develop post brady but also used as a resource, that makes sense. They wee already a power house, with 10 picks or so that year and picked him in the 3rd round.

The Jets have a LOT of holes to fill, we can't afford to draft a Qb on spec in the 2nd round.
    All signs point to us taking a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. You CANT pass on a DEEP QB class when you don't have a QB. We can't afford not to really. We have 0 real QBs on the roster and it is a low risk pick given the talent in this draft. There IS a large range of good QBs to choose from. Like them or not there is a reason why you are hearing 8 different names as 1-2 rounders right now. You can scream NO FRANCHISE GUY all you want. That isn't going to stop teams from taking guys that could be a good starter for a few year or a viable BU. We do have a LOT of holes to fell. Non so obvious as QB. Why not FILL that need. There isn't a OLB or G out there that will give your fan base anywhere near the amount of hope that a QB would. Also why would you not? As mentioned your not likely to get a better prospect next year or maybe even the year after. Your just holding off the inhabitable and risking picking a QB in a weak draft like we did with Sanchez. This IS a much better draft then that year people just like to ***** because there is no Luck, Manning, or Elway.

All signs point to us taking a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. You CANT pass on a DEEP QB class when you don't have a QB. We can't afford not to really. We have 0 real QBs on the roster and it is a low risk pick given the talent in this draft. There IS a large range of good QBs to choose from. Like them or not there is a reason why you are hearing 8 different names as 1-2 rounders right now. You can scream NO FRANCHISE GUY all you want. That isn't going to stop teams from taking guys that could be a good starter for a few year or a viable BU. We do have a LOT of holes to fell. Non so obvious as QB. Why not FILL that need. There isn't a OLB or G out there that will give your fan base anywhere near the amount of hope that a QB would. Also why would you not? As mentioned your not likely to get a better prospect next year or maybe even the year after. Your just holding off the inhabitable and risking picking a QB in a weak draft like we did with Sanchez. This IS a much better draft then that year people just like to ***** because there is no Luck, Manning, or Elway.
    Deep <> good. We have Sanchez, we have Garrard, we have Mcelroy, rumors of another guy like Kolb. We are already in better shape this coming year than last year. Forcing a draft this year is a panic move if you ask me.

In any case we will never come to an agreement on this issue at all because you feel there are a number of good QB's worth taking and feel it is a pretty good QB class. I feel the Qb class as a whole stinks and whoever we get in the 2nd round is not going to be our QB for the next 5-10 years. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

All Pro
    I don't care what GM/lunatic philosophy you subscribe to, your understanding of the word "deep" and "better" is in question when you use them in conjunction with this draft class. These guys are horrible. All 2nd to 3rd tier talent. The fck do I care if you think we ought or ought not to draft one this year, it still doesn't change that Bray, Manuel, Wilson, Nassib... these guys are career back ups. At best.

Geno's the only prospect worth farting about for team in need of signal caller, and I'll leave it up to the brass to decide on that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I don't care what GM/lunatic philosophy you subscribe to, your understanding of the word "deep" and "better" is in question when you use them in conjunction with this draft class. These guys are horrible. All 2nd to 3rd tier talent. The fck do I care if you think we ought or ought not to draft one this year, it still doesn't change that Bray, Manuel, Wilson, Nassib... these guys are career back ups. At best.

Geno's the only prospect worth farting about for team in need of signal caller, and I'll leave it up to the brass to decide on that one.
    It appears that you too do not follow the draft all that closely. This guy Dreamers is pretty adamant that this is a deep class for QBs, and he follows the draft VERY closely.

That should be good enough for you.

_

the jets should take a shot at qb every year until they find someone. maybe they don't get andrew luck but maybe they find a hasselback or schaub. i agree, i expect the jets to take a qb in the first 3 rounds, unless they are on the tail end of a qb run and can't justify the pick. it's looking in the first like the jets are targeting olbs, though i have to believe tavon austin will at least be in the conversation as will trading back if they're able. the 2nd round is interesting, if the jets want someone badly they may have to trade up for him. but the idea of not taking a qb in an entire draft just b/c there doesn't appear to be any surefire hits is absurd. this team has no qb capable of performing well or leading the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Deep <> good. We have Sanchez, we have Garrard, we have Mcelroy, rumors of another guy like Kolb. We are already in better shape this coming year than last year. Forcing a draft this year is a panic move if you ask me.

In any case we will never come to an agreement on this issue at all because you feel there are a number of good QB's worth taking and feel it is a pretty good QB class. I feel the Qb class as a whole stinks and whoever we get in the 2nd round is not going to be our QB for the next 5-10 years. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
    I feel like we'd be drafting the next Kellen Clemens or the next Vince Young or the next Locker, Ponder, Gabbert etc.

None of these guys are even Dalton IMHO, and I don't think he's anything great.

_

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the jets should take a shot at qb every year until they find someone. maybe they don't get andrew luck but maybe they find a hasselback or schaub. i agree, i expect the jets to take a qb in the first 3 rounds, unless they are on the tail end of a qb run and can't justify the pick. it's looking in the first like the jets are targeting olbs, though i have to believe tavon austin will at least be in the conversation as will trading back if they're able. the 2nd round is interesting, if the jets want someone badly they may have to trade up for him. but the idea of not taking a qb in an entire draft just b/c there doesn't appear to be any surefire hits is absurd. this team has no qb capable of performing well or leading the offense.
    The part where I'm at total odds with this mentality, is the "in the first 3 rounds" part.... gawwd no. No man. No! Thems is the picks you build your team with. There's still quality players there. Bray and his shotgun 25% accuracy can wait till the 5th. or 6th. THEN... if you want to justify a QB, i'll atleast listen.

I feel like we'd be drafting the next Kellen Clemens or the next Vince Young or the next Locker, Ponder, Gabbert etc.

None of these guys are even Dalton IMHO, and I don't think he's anything great.

_
    Actually most of them are in the same category as Dalton IMO. There is never a year where you have this many guys that look even that good. Again yeah no blue chip guys OK what every but there is plenty of good talent that are worth a shot. If a team like Denver who spent how much on Manning can take a guy like Osweiler in the 2nd. Which BTW Glennon is a better version of why would it be SOOO bad if we did that. They see his as a possible future not just a BU. He was a low risk pick with high reward. If they wanted too they could likely trade him right now and get a 2nd rounder back. I get it some people just like to hate on this group. It doesn't mean the talent isn't there. Saying there is no future starter in this group seems mess informed. This is a better then average field you will see at least 2 guy that because good starters and 2-5 others that will start at one point in their careers. This is not the 09 class where you know out side of 2-3 guys the rest will be out of the league in 3 years. You dont need to commit to anyone just realize they are your ONLY option to find a viable starter THIS or Next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    The part where I'm at total odds with this mentality, is the "in the first 3 rounds" part.... gawwd no. No man. No! Thems is the picks you build your team with. There's still quality players there. Bray and his shotgun 25% accuracy can wait till the 5th. or 6th. THEN... if you want to justify a QB, i'll atleast listen.
    Here is my issue with that. At 5-7 your not getting guys better then Sanchez or someone that give you real hope. I am all for drafting 2 QB in this class. I'd love Tuel in the 6th but that isn't any better then saying lets sign Tebow IMO. Get a guy that at least looks like a viable QB right now. There are enough of them here. Why let teams like NE, Pitts, Den, GB, Indy, Wash, and Atlanta continue to draft guys in the 2-3 round just to sit them behind top QBs. There is a reason teams like that never hurt at QB. If you remember GB drafted 2 QB the year Rodgers started week 1. That was because it was a deep draft and they wanted to take advantage of it. Brohm was just a bad choice. He fooled a lot of people but they also got Flynn out of it who many are still hyping. Like I keep saying bring in as many GOOD options as you can. I can care less if we have 10 QBs in camp you just need one of them to step up.

All League
    With the rookie wage scale in place, nothing, including taking Geno Smith or Barkley at 9 will force us to pass on Bridgewater or Manziel next year if we are picking in the top 2.

That said, I seriously doubt that we take a QB at 9. Now if we trade Revis to TB and receive #13, we may trade down and target Barkley.

I honestly believe they will want to come out of this draft with an OLB at 9 and Barkley or Nassib with their next pick.

If teams over draft both of them, I believe we will nab Landry Jones in the 4th as a developmental guy.

Would be shocked in Bray, Glennon, or Wilson are any consideration in the first three rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Actually most of them are in the same category as Dalton IMO. There is never a year where you have this many guys that look even that good. Again yeah no blue chip guys OK what every but there is plenty of good talent that are worth a shot. If a team like Denver who spent how much on Manning can take a guy like Osweiler in the 2nd. Which BTW Glennon is a better version of why would it be SOOO bad if we did that. They see his as a possible future not just a BU. He was a low risk pick with high reward. If they wanted too they could likely trade him right now and get a 2nd rounder back. I get it some people just like to hate on this group. It doesn't mean the talent isn't there. Saying there is no future starter in this group seems mess informed. This is a better then average field you will see at least 2 guy that because good starters and 2-5 others that will start at one point in their careers. This is not the 09 class where you know out side of 2-3 guys the rest will be out of the league in 3 years. You dont need to commit to anyone just realize they are your ONLY option to find a viable starter THIS or Next year.
    This is all just your opinion, which you are entitled to.

But please don't assume your opinion means more than jack sh*t because 'you follow the draft closely" and the rest of us don't.

A bunch of JAGs, and maybe one of them IS that diamond in the rough, but I'm not gambling a potential starting OLB or WR or RB or OLineman or TE by using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on them.

You want to pick Dysert in the 4th, have at it.

Btw, just so you know I'm not a hater, if we were to pick anyone of those QBs in the 2nd or 3rd this year I'd be their biggest fan.

I just don't WANT to pick them.

_

I honestly just dont get the lets not even try because we can't win mentality here. Who are you to know that? Can you see the future? Actually talent scouts say that these guys are worth 2-3 round picks. Why are they not worth that to us? I get OK not at 9. I'd take Glennon there but that is only because I 100% think he will not be there in the 2nd round. SF could very well take him at 31 to replace Smith and be justified in doing so. There is a reason smart GMs do those things. CBS has 7 guys ranked 2-3 or better. If this was truly a WEAK WEAK WEAK class you wouldn't see that. You'd see 2 maybe 3 reaches and a bunch of 4-7 rounders. If your calling this field weak you just really don't follow the draft a lot is all I can say. I am a huge draftnick. I can say this much my biggest reason I want a QB at 9 is because there isn't a huge difference in the OLBs in this draft. Some of the 2nd round guys look just as good as the 3rd round guys. The only one that really stands out is Mingo IMO. But that said if we are going QB I'll take Glennon over any QB we will get in the 2-3 rounds. He actually does stand out in this class to me. Sign me up for Monty, Tank, or Simon. It isn't a very big drop off IMO. Heck I'd even be good with even Devin Taylor or Jamie Collins. I dont see Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Ezekiel Ansah, or Bjoern Werner as can't miss beasts we NEED to take. I'd consider S but non of them are hands down 9 worthy either. I will not be mad if we dont draft a QB at 9. I just think we should very well consider it if they like Glennon, Nessib, or Barkley enough to hand him the reigns for 2 years and give a fair shot. Despite what you seem to think they are better then a lot of guys that where 1st rounders back when 1st rounders cost you 60 mil large. Yeah compare them to bust but most of them could also be compared to successes. You really have no clue what some of these guys will do. No one ever does.

This is all just your opinion, which you are entitled to.

But please don't assume your opinion means more than jack sh*t because 'you follow the draft closely" and the rest of us don't.

A bunch of JAGs, and maybe one of them IS that diamond in the rough, but I'm not gambling a potential starting OLB or WR or RB or OLineman or TE by using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on them.

You want to pick Dysert in the 4th, have at it.

Btw, just so you know I'm not a hater, if we were to pick anyone of those QBs in the 2nd or 3rd this year I'd be their biggest fan.

I just don't WANT to pick them.

_
    That is just JETS fan mentality there. You'd rather have anther potential TE then a potential QB. lol end of story Good luck getting them the ball with NO QB.

All Pro

The flip side, pick a guard or a safety as the "safe" pick and watch as the QB you passed over turns into a franchise guy over the next 10 years. It cuts both ways.

All Pro
    You have totally and 100% fallen into the trap that dooms bad gms. We have a big need thus we are going to artificially boost up the level of the players we are looking at to justify making a pick for that position.

Our need is a very good long term QB, not just a QB. I said it before, just because we get one of these guys in the 2nd round doesn't make them any good. A Gabbert, a Ponder a locker in the 2nd round is still a suspect QB that you are going to be committed to for a number of years.
    Not with the rookie pay scale now ... you pick a guy and if he doesn't work out you're not hamstrung by his cap #. Much more affordable to take a risk now.

The main investment is the pick, not the $$$. And they're always risks whatever position you pick.