Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuck rule; gone; Crown of Helmet, in! Plus: dietary suggestions for Goodell!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Check my edit.

And it is supoosedly for both the RBs and defenders.
    I thought I heard its for ball carriers, not just a RB. But I could be wrong.

As for your earlier post. This is obviously trying to prevent concussions/ head injuries.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I started playing HS football (early 60s), you could still tackle by grabbing the facemask. Pro, college and HS changed it while I was still in HS and there was an outcry - "How are we going to tackle". I got called in a couple pre season scrimmages. And got my butt kicked by the coach.
    So I learned to be less lazy and tackle properly. Adapt and adjust.
    Same with the recent horse collar.
    Safety is important. The game is not ruined.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    We'll see this year how the penalties sort out. Some refs are worse than others
    and therein lies the problem ... lack of consistency

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I thought I heard its for ball carriers, not just a RB. But I could be wrong.

As for your earlier post. This is obviously trying to prevent concussions/ head injuries.
    You're right. It is for all ball carriers outside the tackle box. But lets be honest, this is going to effect the RBs the most.

No doubt they are trying to prevent injuries. And I do think they have good intentions sometimes. But IMO this is just stupid. It just isn't practical. Players get themselves caught in awkward positions sometimes. And for someone to lose a game over it would be a tragedy.

In fairness to the NFL they also said that this only refers to the "crown" which Jeff Fisher described as the very top of the helmet. He made it clear that they can still hit with the facemask and "hairline" of the helmet. I guess we will have to see how it is enforced. It is also a spot foul which would make my other criticism about costing a team a first down void.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    WOW the Titans spent a lot of money on Shonn Greene for nothing now.

I guess the Jets picked the right year to get out of the ground and pound
    Exactly what I thought,good thing we got rid of Shonn

Not sure what the fuss is about,rugby players manage it out of necessity( no helmets)so what ends up happening(or should end up happening) is people actually learn to tackle properly.Basically line him up,get low and use the shoulders.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Brack View Post
    Just 12 years too late for the Tuck rule... Still got to wonder if recent NFL history would be so different if that play was called a fumble.
    Cue TX....3, 2, 1...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yet the NFL Competition Committee made up of Front Office & Coaches is the one that proposed and presented the rule change to the Owners for their approval.

When you are faced with 100s of lawsuits for $X million/billions from former NFL players and until NFL players waive liability from playing (they never will), you better make changes..
    Yep a better idea would be to play with no helmets like Rugby then you wouldn't see the head collisions.. Hell when you go on some rides or have a operation you have to sign a waiver..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You're right. It is for all ball carriers outside the tackle box. But lets be honest, this is going to effect the RBs the most.

No doubt they are trying to prevent injuries. And I do think they have good intentions sometimes. But IMO this is just stupid. It just isn't practical. Players get themselves caught in awkward positions sometimes. And for someone to lose a game over it would be a tragedy.

In fairness to the NFL they also said that this only refers to the "crown" which Jeff Fisher described as the very top of the helmet. He made it clear that they can still hit with the facemask and "hairline" of the helmet. I guess we will have to see how it is enforced. It is also a spot foul which would make my other criticism about costing a team a first down void.
    I dunno,the tragedy for me is when a guy like Al Toon has to retire early because of concussion or what happened to Dave Duerson

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just so we are clear this is the type of play that is being outlawed. They arent saying you cant hit with you helmet. They are saying you cant hit with the top of your helmet with eyes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsegJVLrmk8

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just so we are clear this is the type of play that is being outlawed. They arent saying you cant hit with you helmet. They are saying you cant hit with the top of your helmet with eyes down.

There are going to be refs that call it otherwise. There are going to be penalties that fans are gonna say wtf.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I dunno,the tragedy for me is when a guy like Al Toon has to retire early because of concussion or what happened to Dave Duerson
    The real tragedy is that the players are doing it to themselves..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    Cue TX....3, 2, 1...
    He's bandeded

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, team is on the goal line 4th down, RB takes handoff and runs outside the tackles, 2 defenders there at the line waiting for him. His choice is to get low and risk penalty or stay upright and be tackled easily. Or better yet, teach RB's to never run outside the tackles because they then lose that chance of lowering their shoulders (and by extension their head which naturally sits on their shoulders) to drive themselves in the goal line, and the risk of a 15 yard penalty is too great. So now the D knows the run is coming up the middle if they run at all, so then the offense in turn throws the ball 4 times any time they're at the goal.

In other news boxing has banned all punching.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The real tragedy is that the players are doing it to themselves..
    True,which is why we need laws to protect us from ourselves

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that already illegal? Look how far back you had to search for a clip.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    True,which is why we need laws to protect us from ourselves
    So give up Driving,Drinking,Smoking,Sex and overeating as well.. They all can kill you.. Let me guess you voted for Mayor Blomberg??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they call this tight, it's just one more step to making football into ref-ruled NBA basketball . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So give up Driving,Drinking,Smoking,Sex and overeating as well.. They all can kill you.. Let me guess you voted for Mayor Blomberg??
    Not in Guernsey no

Driving on a road is fine,driving at 150mph down a crowded pedestrian precinct is less so....do you think there ought to be penalties to discourage this?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not in Guernsey no

Driving on a road is fine,driving at 150mph down a crowded pedestrian precinct is less so....do you think there ought to be penalties to discourage this?
    There are people killed every day in normal traffic accidents.. I just hate the term "we need laws to protect us from ourselves".. Anything that takes away my freedom of choice I hate.. Of course sane people don't drive 150 mph but I'm sure some here do..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not in Guernsey no

Speed limits are there to protect the public from other reckless drivers. If they were there to protect people from themselves you wouldn't have closed course race tracks or Nascar.