Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tuck rule; gone; Crown of Helmet, in! Plus: dietary suggestions for Goodell!

Rookie
    Wow, why all the angst? Over the last decade the NFL has made many new rules that favor the offense. These two new ones are taking something away from the offense and might help to balance out the game a bit.

Besides, Rex Ryans Jets are a defense first team so we should all be thrilled with these two new rules.

Finally, it really is unsafe for all concerned to spear someone. They'll adapt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Wow, why all the angst? Over the last decade the NFL has made many new rules that favor the offense. These two new ones are taking something away from the offense and might help to balance out the game a bit.

Besides, Rex Ryans Jets are a defense first team so we should all be thrilled with these two new rules.

Finally, it really is unsafe for all concerned to spear someone. They'll adapt.
    Because it never ends with Goodell.

Next year they'll probably get rid of kick returns.

Jets Insider VIP
    This will completely eliminate the run game

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

The angst? Because Running backs careers will be even shorter when they come through the line with their head up and get cracked.

As for the tuck rule, it simply proves that the 1st superbowl was tainted by a horrendous rule that was called perhaps twice ever. After the game changing call in the Pats/Oak game there were probably 20 times I personally watched plays that could or should have been called 'the tuck rule' and not one of them was ever called.

There is one rule I would enforce much more stringently if a person wants to equal out the offensive advantage and that is the straight arm which most of the time is either an offensive face mask or illegal hands to the face.

PHOENIX -- Jim Brown never would have needed a rule change. Not the way he remembers it.

The legendary former Cleveland Browns running back used to choose a different way of destroying would-be tacklers and leaving them in his wake. And it didn't involve attacking them head-on with the crown of his helmet, a move that will now incur a 15-yard penalty and a possible fine.

"I didn't use my head," Brown said Monday at The Biltmore before owners voted Wednesday to approve the rule change at the NFL Annual Meeting. "I used my forearm. The palm of my hand. And my shoulder. And my shoulder pads. I wasn't putting my head into too much of anything. I don't think that's a good idea. At least, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me."

And yet, the Browns' current running back has shown it did to him. At a Monday news conference intended to help explain why the competition committee had proposed eliminating the move, the first video shown was one of Trent Richardson lowering his head and popping the helmet off of Philadelphia Eagles safety Kurt Coleman.

The rule change is in line with the NFL's focus on health and safety. The use of one's head isn't just dangerous for defenders; it's also dangerous for the running backs themselves.

"We're bringing the shoulder back to the game," said St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the competition committee, before Wednesday's vote. "The helmet is a protective device, but it's not being used as that as of late. This is to protect the players."

The move will now result in a 15-yard penalty, and the offending player will also be subject to a possible fine. If an offensive player and a defensive player both lower their heads, the resulting penalties will offset. The rule will only be in effect when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line).

"The player doing the hitting is putting himself at risk of a serious neck injury," said Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating.

The idea for the rule change first gained traction in Indianapolis during the competition committee's meeting at the NFL Scouting Combine. To determine the extent of the issue, the NFL studied the 16 games that were played in Week 16 of this past season. A thorough review revealed that penalties would have been called five times, more than enough occurrences to warrant corrective action.

And yet, before the change was approved, there were still questions.

"Will we be able to enforce it?" wondered New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. One general manager echoed that thought, saying, "Don't we put enough on officials?"

And then there is the most basic question: What, exactly, constitutes lowering one's helmet? In theory, the rule only applies to straight-on hits. If a running back's attempt to protect himself by "getting small" results in a helmet-on-helmet collision, he won't incur a penalty, provided he turns his shoulder. Similarly, no foul will be called if two players running to the sideline happen to hit helmets, as long as they aren't lowered as weapons.

Fisher understood that some contact is unavoidable.

"If you're a runner and you run tall, you won't last long in this league," Fisher said. "You got to be able to protect yourself. But there is a difference between protecting yourself and striking someone with the crown of your helmet."

What constitutes "the crown?" As Blandino said, "Put a beanie on the helmet." That's it.

Running backs, including Marshall Faulk, spoke out before the owners voted. Chicago Bears back Matt Forte said on Twitter that the proposal was "the most absurd suggestion of a rule change I've ever heard of."

Fisher had been bracing for the reaction, saying that player education will be key.

"We watched a lot of tape," Fisher said. "We hope they (will understand). I think they will."

Brown touched on the reason the ban was even being discussed in the first place.

"I'm not guaranteed that my head is going to be strong enough to hurt somebody else," Brown said, "and not hurt myself."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...with-questions

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    This will completely eliminate the run game

Probably the plan and what Goodell/NFL is aiming for. Running is too boring for the casual/Super Bowl only audiences to tune in. Gotta see pass pass pass

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yep a better idea would be to play with no helmets like Rugby then you wouldn't see the head collisions.. Hell when you go on some rides or have a operation you have to sign a waiver..
    It should be a free choice thing. Helmets should be optional like motorcycle helmets in most States.

How about mandatory seat belts for Fans at night games?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

As for the tuck rule, it simply proves that the 1st superbowl was tainted by a horrendous rule that was called perhaps twice ever. After the game changing call in the Pats/Oak game there were probably 20 times I personally watched plays that could or should have been called 'the tuck rule' and not one of them was ever called.
    Mike Pereira has said that the rule comes into play at least a dozen times a year. I can think of three notable examples off the top of my head -- Brady against Oakland, Vinny T in a victory over the Pats (ironically, the Mo Lewis game) that same season, and Matt Cassel in a playoff game against the Ravens.

Even though I was glad to see the rule enforced against the Raiders in the playoffs (payback for 1976), I think it's a dumb rule and I'm glad to see it go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Goodell is an awful commissioner without question. Him and Bettman battle it out for worst every year.

That said, the two rule changes aren't bad. Spearing by defenders is illegal but the refs fail to call it. Now with the emphasis on the "new" rule they'll actually enforce the old one. It's better for the running back and defenders anyway. Lowering the head causes as much damage to the inflicter as the inflicted.

And, no, Pollard's hit wouldn't be illegal now. He used his shoulder as far as I remember.

As to the elimination of the tuck rule, it was mainly because the refs didn't know how to enforce it. Even under the tuck rule plays that were fumbles weren't called.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Brack View Post
    Just 12 years too late for the Tuck rule... Still got to wonder if recent NFL history would be so different if that play was called a fumble.
    The tuck rule was called 5 times last year, over the last 10 years that's 50 plays assuming that 5 is the average which it may or may not be, that is potentially a much different history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It should be a free choice thing. Helmets should be optional like motorcycle helmets in most States.

How about mandatory seat belts for Fans at night games?
    The players took a helmet that was there to protect them and turned it into a weapon to hurt each other.. And they want to sue the NFL for something they do to themselves??

Jets Insider VIP
    This game is getting stupid. Once upon a time during Savages hey day... all players played both sides.... im getting sick of this crap. If they want to be safe, don't. Friggen play! Ive reached a boiling point. Soon I will stop watching the sport!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    This game is getting stupid. Once upon a time during Savages hey day... all players played both sides.... im getting sick of this crap. If they want to be safe, don't. Friggen play! Ive reached a boiling point. Soon I will stop watching the sport!

Whoa I'm not that old but I do remeber Chuck Bednarick who was the last 2 way player in the NFL 50's and early 60's..

Rookie
    Before u know it we will be watching two hand touch on Gameday!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rich1223 View Post
    Before u know it we will be watching two hand touch on Gameday!
    Womens Lingerie Football will be tougher pretty soon..

Flags will be flying the banner!!! they have to change the rules every few yrs sooo they can call penaltys wen they want.. nobraineerrrr!!!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Womens Lingerie Football will be tougher pretty soon..
    LOL i used to like that!But i think they did away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I can certainly understand the Raiders position. They clearly got hosed a decade ago; one of the worst calls I ever saw.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM View Post
    The tuck rule was called 5 times last year, over the last 10 years that's 50 plays assuming that 5 is the average which it may or may not be, that is potentially a much different history.
    I get what you're saying and I suppose if only one of those 50 calls were different then the potential outcome of any game, season or even Superbowl winner could be different. But that holds true for every call in every game.

It is an exercise in semantics and while I do accept that if my auntie had balls that she would be my uncle, I am left wondering if the then relatively unproven Brady would have achieved the 'greatness' if that call didn't go his way and also would the 'dynasty' have missed it's window of opportunity

Without a DeLorean and a fluxcapicitor we'll never know

thankfully I will be watching all this junk football in the comfort of my own home where the climate is controlled quite nicely.

Is the NFL really trying to get rid of every single real fan and just have corporate/rich fans at the games? C`mon now, most regular people want to see the violence of the game for the price they are asking to sit in their stadiums.

I say good riddance to wasting money on this junk. The game has changed so much since I was a kid. Being older and wiser only saves me a bundle of cash that is being used on more important things than bogus tuck rules, helmet hits, horse collars, and non-holding penalties for the Pats and Giants.