Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tuck rule; gone; Crown of Helmet, in! Plus: dietary suggestions for Goodell!

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    My understanding is that you can lower your head and even initiate contact with the helmet, but you cannot use the crown or very top of the helmet as a battering ram like the famous Earl Campbell run.
    Its illegal for the D now its Illegal for everyone...Outside the tackle box like Spearing or torpedo tackles which isnt the right way to tackle and it will make for better football in my opinion

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Am I the only one who thinks this is no big deal? 99% of the time an RB lowers his head outside the tackles/in the open field, he's trying to plant the crest of his helmet, or hairline, in the defender's chest, not the crown. You're taught to 'see what you hit' from an early age, even when I was playing (JHS in early 80s through college in late 80s), so all current players have been taught this all along. And if an RB is outside the tackles, he's got to be looking downfield.

Sure, not every hit goes as planned, and there are certainly a few crown hits every week, but I think you'll see it called once a week or less once the season gets underway.

It's a stupid rule in what used to be a gladiator game.

NFL players only sued because of the terrible benefits they were receiving while the NFL was getting rich off of the legacy they set.

they tried to say look at our condition look what the NFL did to us. The NFL responded by saying thats just age setting in. So they (old NFL players) decided they needed proof. When they showed proof the NFL said no way we promote safe play while showing/selling greatest NFL hits once a week (notice it no longer comes on.) so the old players sued and needed more evidence which led to findings most people already knew. If you get hit in the head enough you might get a lil punch drunk.

Terms we grew up with no longer matter "Low man wins, head on a swivel, the QB hung his man out to dry ect ect ect."

37-42 used to be a great game now it's the norm. we are going the way of BBall just tune in to watch the last drive to see who wins.

I love this game but last year was the first in my life where I was really disinterested. Maybe I'm just getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What's your point?

Players have filed suits against the NFL for years and years.

I'm all for a better retirement plan for players, but this sh*t is totally overboard.

Has there been a single year that has gone by with Goodell as commisioner where radical changes haven't been made?

Leave the f*cking game alone.

If you guys want to watch two hand touch, suit yourselves.

I'll just switch to watching MMA full time when it happens. The biggest appeal of football is that it's a violent game.

You want to go back to the 50s and 60s? Biting, punching, leg whips with steel cleats, crack backs, hands to the face, fingers inside the face mask, hitting defenseless players, clotheslines etc, etc.
    The game is great. Better than ever. These rules are to help players and keep them on the field, therefore improving the game.
    And let's remember, these rules will extend down to college, HS and Pee Wee. Good all around.

Hey, if you want violent, wrestle an alligator. I had violent - on the field and in the jungle. I don't wish injury on anyone (except Moslems of couse LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    WOW the Titans spent a lot of money on Shonn Greene for nothing now.

I guess the Jets picked the right year to get out of the ground and pound
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is no big deal? 99% of the time an RB lowers his head outside the tackles/in the open field, he's trying to plant the crest of his helmet, or hairline, in the defender's chest, not the crown. You're taught to 'see what you hit' from an early age, even when I was playing (JHS in early 80s through college in late 80s), so all current players have been taught this all along. And if an RB is outside the tackles, he's got to be looking downfield.

Sure, not every hit goes as planned, and there are certainly a few crown hits every week, but I think you'll see it called once a week or less once the season gets underway.
    I just worry that this is yet another call that's very difficult for the refs to make, a lot of subjectivity. I think the intent is good, but don't trust the already overwhelmed refs to call it consistently and fairly.

All Pro
    This is just another rule specifically designed to benefit the Ch**tr**ts by eliminating the running game. Krafty Bob strikes again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I just worry that this is yet another call that's very difficult for the refs to make, a lot of subjectivity. I think the intent is good, but don't trust the already overwhelmed refs to call it consistently and fairly.
    I think this might be called very seldom in-game, only in obvious situations, but draw some fines after the league's film review.

I honestly think this is a case of "what do we have on deck to appease the cry for safety? Nothing? What, Bob? Crown of the helmet? Isn't that already illegal? OK, you're right, the wording is topical. OK, crown of the helmet it is. Let's start a sub committee of our sub committee to make sure we have something lined up for next March."

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    You want to go back to the 50s and 60s? .
    I`ve been saying for years the NFL should go back to that era of play. Eliminate the helmets and go back to leather head gear without face masks. Leather shoulder pads too. These current players won`t be throwing themselves around the way they do if they didn`t feel protected with all this armor they have on now. They would actually have to rely on their natural skills to tackle, hit and be elusive.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    I`ve been saying for years the NFL should go back to that era of play. Eliminate the helmets and go back to leather head gear without face masks. Leather shoulder pads too. These current players won`t be throwing themselves around the way they do if they didn`t feel protected with all this armor they have on now. They would actually have to rely on their natural skills to tackle, hit and be elusive.
    Come on, dude. I want the players to be able to retire and have normal lives, but let's not deny that the hitting is what makes football the best sport ever. Other sports can match football's TDs (goals, home runs, etc), Hail Mary's (buzzer beaters, walk offs, shoot outs, etc), but no other sport can match a LB blowing up, or getting blown up by, a RB, etc. Nothing else gives you that rush, makes you want to get up and go hit someone yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post

This is embarrassing to say but my very first helmet in the 9th grade was leather (limited budget, JV and Varsity got good stuff).
    We were taught to lead with the head on blocks and tackles. Had a variety of head injuries (no benching with my coaches). Sorry, I don't wish that on players at any level. In some ways we had more equipment - thigh and knee pads and always a CUP. Now many don't wear the last 3.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    This is embarrassing to say but my very first helmet in the 9th grade was leather (limited budget, JV and Varsity got good stuff).
    We were taught to lead with the head on blocks and tackles. Had a variety of head injuries (no benching with my coaches). Sorry, I don't wish that on players at any level. In some ways we had more equipment - thigh and knee pads and always a CUP. Now many don't wear the last 3.
    I'm amazed when I see RBs without thigh pads and hip pads, especially RBs. The thought of taking a helmet to the thigh or hip during a tackle at full speed... I'm amazed they don't miss every other game with deep thigh bruises, hip pointers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    If they call this tight, it's just one more step to making football into ref-ruled NBA basketball . . .
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Come on, dude. I want the players to be able to retire and have normal lives, but let's not deny that the hitting is what makes football the best sport ever. Other sports can match football's TDs (goals, home runs, etc), Hail Mary's (buzzer beaters, walk offs, shoot outs, etc), but no other sport can match a LB blowing up, or getting blown up by, a RB, etc. Nothing else gives you that rush, makes you want to get up and go hit someone yourself.
    Oh, I never denied I like the hitting. It`s what the NFL was since I was a kid and even way before that. If the league wants to protect these players all the time, get rid of the pads, or at least the armor-plated stuff they wear today, and the players themselves will protect. We`ll still get to see awesome hits, stiff arms, possibly even a few broken and bloody noses. We just won`t see the violent hits that cause these new concussions, paralyze and/or end careers. Then the NFL can relax on making this game fag, err, flag football. There are just too many rules being implemented every year to help protect. The game is suffering and will continue to get cheesier. The NFL should try a true "throwback" game with leather head gear and shoulder pads. Players can wear any/all other pads(hip, elbow, knee, etc), but no hard plastic. I would really love to see how this generation of players would handle it. You`ll get to see who the real pussies in the league are too. LOL Hey, it`s just a thought and makes absolutely 100% sense. Then maybe we can finally get the Aussies to stop laughing at us.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    WOW the Titans spent a lot of money on Shonn Greene for nothing now.

I guess the Jets picked the right year to get out of the ground and pound
    That was his one move... run straight ahead and lower helmet... fall down when hit.