Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: Tuck rule; gone; Crown of Helmet, in! Plus: dietary suggestions for Goodell!

  1. #1

    Tuck rule; gone; Crown of Helmet, in! Plus: dietary suggestions for Goodell!

    Flag foottball anyone. ?

  2. #2
    I fukcing can't believe this.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    So Pollard's KO blow is now a penalty. I guess they had to throw the Pats a bone after taking away the tuck rule.

    They are ruining the game.

    Edit - I think this is to also stop the RBs from lowering their heads but it still doesn't make sense. They need to be able to get low and protect themselves. You are going to see more injuries to the legs now.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.

  4. #4
    I think it's physically impossible not lower your head as you have 3 defenders B lining you in the open field. So what are you supposed to do? Stay straight up so you can get crushed? Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I think it's physically impossible not lower your head as you have 3 defenders B lining you in the open field. So what are you supposed to do? Stay straight up so you can get crushed? Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.
    My understanding is that you can lower your head and even initiate contact with the helmet, but you cannot use the crown or very top of the helmet as a battering ram like the famous Earl Campbell run.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I think it's physically impossible not lower your head as you have 3 defenders B lining you in the open field. So what are you supposed to do? Stay straight up so you can get crushed? Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.
    They are ruining the game. I am all for player safety but there needs to be common sense.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They are ruining the game. I am all for player safety but there needs to be common sense.
    +1
    Can't wait to see the season and how many of these ****in penalties change the outcome of games!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I think it's physically impossible not lower your head as you have 3 defenders B lining you in the open field. So what are you supposed to do? Stay straight up so you can get crushed? Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.
    Yet the NFL Competition Committee made up of Front Office & Coaches is the one that proposed and presented the rule change to the Owners for their approval.

    When you are faced with 100s of lawsuits for $X million/billions from former NFL players and until NFL players waive liability from playing (they never will), you better make changes..

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinJet View Post
    +1
    Can't wait to see the season and how many of these ****in penalties change the outcome of games!
    This will be a one year rule. It is impossible to enforce this consistently and effectively.

    If I was a Refs union I would be pissed too. Sets them up to look bad.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yet the NFL Competition Committee made up of Front Office & Coaches is the one that proposed and presented the rule change to the Owners for their approval.

    When you are faced with 100s of lawsuits for $X million/billions from former NFL players and until NFL players waive liability from playing (they never will), you better make changes..
    And that is the only reason why they are doing this. To make it look like they care.

    All this is going to lead to is more injuries. If RBs can't lower their pad level they will leave their bodies open to vicious hits.

  12. #12
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kildare, Ireland
    Posts
    175
    Just 12 years too late for the Tuck rule... Still got to wonder if recent NFL history would be so different if that play was called a fumble.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So Pollard's KO blow is now a penalty. I guess they had to throw the Pats a bone after taking away the tuck rule.

    They are ruining the game.

    Edit - I think this is to stop the RBs from lowering their heads but it still doesn't make sense. They need to be able to get low and protect themselves. You are going to see more injuries to the legs now.
    The rule has nothing to do with Pollard's hit. This is for RBs in the open field, outside of the tackles lowering their helmet to the point where they are at a 90 degree angle, looking down at the ground and making impact with the absolute top of their helmet. The most ridiculous part about this "new" rule is that it is technically already illegal.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    The rule has nothing to do with Pollard's hit. This is for RBs in the open field, outside of the tackles lowering their helmet to the point where they are at a 90 degree angle, looking down at the ground and making impact with the absolute top of their helmet. The most ridiculous part about this "new" rule is that it is technically already illegal.
    Check my edit.

    And it is supoosedly for both the RBs and defenders.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I think it's physically impossible not lower your head as you have 3 defenders B lining you in the open field. So what are you supposed to do? Stay straight up so you can get crushed? Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.
    I agree, but the situation you describe wouldn't be a penalty. Its more for an aggressive runner, seeking out contact in the open field and "spearing" the defender with his head down and not looking ahead. To me this protects the runner more than the defender since a runner doing this is opening themselves up for a spinal injury.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Check my edit.

    And it is supoosedly for both the RBs and defenders.
    sorry, saw the edit after I posted.

    I agree with you, its getting out of control. Spearing is already illegal, so I dont really get what this rule is about. What scares me is they said they looked at tape and there were 15 instances where they might have called this penalty in week 16 alone. I find that hard to believe since I cant think of any plays I saw last year where a RB should have been flagged for this.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,074
    How do they differentiate between a RB lowering his shoulder to absorb a hit and a RB lowering his helmet to spear a guy?? Are they expecting the RBs to run upright and just let the defenders level him? The NFL is running scared right now.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How do they differentiate between a RB lowering his shoulder to absorb a hit and a RB lowering his helmet to spear a guy?? Are they expecting the RBs to run upright and just let the defenders level him? The NFL is running scared right now.
    The answer is that they can't. And they are putting the refs in a position to look bad when they cost someone a game.

    Can you imagine if we are trying to run out the clock and convert on a third and short only to have this penalty called and we are forced to punt?

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,550
    WOW the Titans spent a lot of money on Shonn Greene for nothing now.

    I guess the Jets picked the right year to get out of the ground and pound

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I agree, but the situation you describe wouldn't be a penalty. Its more for an aggressive runner, seeking out contact in the open field and "spearing" the defender with his head down and not looking ahead. To me this protects the runner more than the defender since a runner doing this is opening themselves up for a spinal injury.
    We'll see this year how the penalties sort out. Some refs are worse than others

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us