Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very first Jets Mock

My very first Jets Mock

Hey all, longtime creeper and occasional poster, thought I'd put up what I think would be a dream draft in my mind for the Jets.

1st Round - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia
    Mentioned it in the previous thread, but this guy is flying up draft boards and I think teams will look past his size and go for his playmaking ability. The Jets haven't had a true threat on their offense in quite awhile, and no matter who is at QB, the offense instantly becomes more dangerous.

2nd Round - Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse
    I've been back and forth between a QB and OLB in this scenario, but I think this is the year to take a flyer on a second round QB without any true surefire 1st rounders outside of Geno Smith. Nassib seems like he could be a great fit for the WCO, has some mobility, and is tough as nails. The Jets have already shown interest in the kid, so it bears watching what they'll do if he's on the board in Round 2.

3rd Round - Bacarri Rambo - S - Georgia
    Outside of OLB, safety is the biggest need on the Jets, and Rambo would bring a great presence to the defensive backfield and some ballhawking skills that could pay dividends.

4th Round - Sio Moore - OLB - Connecticut
    While Moore may not last this long, he's a speed rusher with great instincts that could pair well with Antwan Barnes. I'm a firm believer in the 3-4 OLB depth of this class, and I think there could be a few guys that drop like Moore that could prove to be a steal.

5th Round - Michael Williams - TE - Alabama
    We've needed a blocking TE for years, so why not go with the best one in the draft? Williams has some receiving ability, but is known more for his blocking against tough competition. Unless a world-class TE shakes loose during June 1st cuts or after training camp, they need to find a strong blocking complement to Cumberland, who is looking like our #1 option heading into 2013.

6th Round - Garrett Gilkey - G - Chadron State
    Chadron State you say? Sure I'm picking a name out of a bag, and I really hate to address the OL this late, but taking a flyer on a small school guy with big potential is what these late round picks are all about.

7th Round - Alec Lemon - WR - Syracuse
    Sure, it's a bit of a homer pick, but Lemon really jumps off the film when you're watching highlights of Syracuse over the past few years. He could be a nice addition to the receiving corps that will need possession receivers for the WCO.

Well, honestly, that was pretty tough. Feel free to flame away.

ewwww -with round one.

OLB in the first and WR in the fourth and i'd be more than fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    ewwww -with round one.

OLB in the first and WR in the fourth and i'd be more than fine with it.
    I'd totally be cool with that. Honestly, I think my scenario only comes to fruition if the major OLB prizes like Jones, Jordan and Ansah are off the board when we pick. If any of those guys are there, absolutely take one of them over Austin. But if they're gone, then you have a major gap between those guys and the rest of the pack, so going for a splash like Austin could be the silver lining of a crappy situation.

And if it did work out that way...I'd say I'd prefer Dion Jordan at 9 and then someone like Ace Sanders in the 4th round.

Really not digging the first two picks, I dont want Tavon with the 9th pick, but he is gonna be dynamic. I just don't think the value is there.

@seniorbowl: @seniorbowl evolution of NFL continues with new safety rules. Athletes with ability to play in "space" are at a premium now and in future.

All Pro
    I haven't had the time to dissect some of the 4-7th round talent at S, OL, and OLB so I can't comment too much on those, but as soon I saw Nassib I checked out mentally.

He's just not what this team needs. We have enough floundering mediocre talent at QB. If he was a franchise QB, he'd be going #1 overall. But he's not. And I don't want him.

**when i read stuff like "I went back and forth between QB and OLB" it tells me your mocking wrong. Where's your big board?? No front office goes into the draft thinking - I'm going OLB in the 2nd. No way in hell. You look at who the best players are on the board, and you draft accordingly. I can't fathom a scenario where Nassib is the 40th best player overall in this draft.
    Last edited by Paradis; 03-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.

What exactly is a "franchise QB"?

Was Marino one?
    Jim Kelly?
    O'Brien?
    Boomer Easison?
    Phil Rivers?
    Ben Roeth?
    Aaron Rogers?
    Brady?
    Flacco?
    Romo?
    Brees?
    Russ Wilson?
    Kaepernick?
    Montana?
    Tannehill?
    Favre?
    Carr?
    Alex Smith?
    Tim Couch?
    Jeff Garcia?

Was Marino one? - Yes
    Jim Kelly? - Yes
    O'Brien? - No
    Boomer Easison? - Yes
    Phil Rivers? - Yes
    Ben Roeth? - Yes
    Aaron Rogers? - Yes
    Brady? - Yes
    Flacco? - Yes
    Romo? - Yes
    Brees? - Yes
    Russ Wilson? - Too early to tell
    Kaepernick? - Too early to tell
    Montana? - Yes
    Tannehill? - Too early to tell
    Favre? - Yes
    Carr? - No
    Alex Smith? - No
    Tim Couch? - No
    Jeff Garcia? - No

A 5'9" 174 lb WR at #9

No thx. You want a guy that's going to play 10 yrs with a pick that high. Too many stud OLB's available which also happens to be a position of need. Trade down and take Warmack or Jonathan Cooper. I wish Milliner falls but I doubt he gets out of the top 5.

think we should wait until next year to draft a qb. The crop seems better. Geno is only 1 worth taking a shot at early.. And he is far from sure thing.. We shouldnt panic and take 1 now just because.. If we take 1 this year early we probably cant next year. Because you will have to give that qb atleast more than 1 year to see how he does in the NFL.

If 1 of the top OLBS arent there at 9, warmack should.. Guy will drastically upgrade running game and protect the qb..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Was Marino one? - Yes
    Jim Kelly? - Yes
    O'Brien? - No
    Boomer Easison? - Yes
    Phil Rivers? - Yes
    Ben Roeth? - Yes
    Aaron Rogers? - Yes
    Brady? - Yes
    Flacco? - Yes
    Romo? - Yes
    Brees? - Yes
    Russ Wilson? - Too early to tell
    Kaepernick? - Too early to tell
    Montana? - Yes
    Tannehill? - Too early to tell
    Favre? - Yes
    Carr? - No
    Alex Smith? - No
    Tim Couch? - No
    Jeff Garcia? - No
    I think he meant coming out of college

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I haven't had the time to dissect some of the 4-7th round talent at S, OL, and OLB so I can't comment too much on those, but as soon I saw Nassib I checked out mentally.

He's just not what this team needs. We have enough floundering mediocre talent at QB. If he was a franchise QB, he'd be going #1 overall. But he's not. And I don't want him.

**when i read stuff like "I went back and forth between QB and OLB" it tells me your mocking wrong. Where's your big board?? No front office goes into the draft thinking - I'm going OLB in the 2nd. No way in hell. You look at who the best players are on the board, and you draft accordingly. I can't fathom a scenario where Nassib is the 40th best player overall in this draft.
    Well thanks for checking out. You're right that I haven't created a big board for my mock, as this was just me plugging players into position for ****s and giggles at work. If I ever create a full-blown mock draft, I'll use a big board, this one was just for conversation's sake.

Regardless of your opinion on Nassib, taking a QB in the second round isn't the end of the world, especially in a draft that's bereft of top-tier QBs. Esp since the majority of the QBs in this draft are in the 2-4 round range, I think you're going to see a run on those guys in the 2nd round. I think people have been spoiled by the instant success of guys like Andrew Luck and Griffin and believe that the only way to find a QB is to draft high. Finding a guy in the 2nd that comes from a less heralded program and elevated the game of players around him is a good trait to look for in this class. Especially in a transition year where we have a lame duck starter in Sanchez, why not take a risk on a guy who could turn into something?

Jets Insider VIP
    I have no problem with taking a QB in the 2nd round. I'm just not as high on Nassib as others are.

It's been pointed out before, but the kid has zero touch. Whether it's a 20 yard out or a 5 yard slant, he fires it in there 100 mph.

If I'm going QB in Round 2, I'd much rather take Glennon or Manuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Somewhat. But I was also asking for the definition of a "franchise QB".

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Somewhat. But I was also asking for the definition of a "franchise QB".
    To me, a franchise QB is a guy you can put behind center for 8-10 years and not have to worry about the QB position.

He doesn't have to be one of the super elite guys like Brady, Rodgers or Peyton.

OLB at 1

I am looking for the Jets to go for OLB at 1. Think the OLB brings the best team upgrade as it should elevate Wilkerson and Couples play as well. We have a project WR in Hill would rather sign FA next year or take a later round shot a one.

Why Rambo? I'd rather a OLB because he just doesn't seem like a value pick as a 3rd for us. I'd think a guy like Devin Taylor or John Simon would be 3rd round gold. Outside of his name (John Connor) not sure I'd even draft the guy really. If we go S in the 3rd I'd rather Shawn Williams, JJ Wilcox, Robert Lester, T.J. McDonald, or Duke Williams(very under rated).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't know what he means half the time. I wish that guy would stop being such a post fairy and just say what he means. I feel like i have to read between the twitter lines to tell what exactly he's suggesting. Just put yer name on it. I think _____ isn't very good. I disagree with JI poster __X__ . Just lay it all out there.

Hall Of Fame
    As dynamic as everyone says Austin is, I'll vomit if we take him at 9.
    The madness needs to stop.

We need to build a massive OLine and a pass rush.

How about we try to find a dynamic playmaker in rounds 4-7 and we pick studs in rounds 1-3.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

DOn't want Tavon at #9 and Nassib meh