Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets one of Teams Hurt Most in FA

Rookie

Jets one of Teams Hurt Most in FA

New York Jets

This team may be undergoing the biggest free fall in the NFL, and the climb back to respectability is going to be a real challenge. A serious shortage of playmakers at key positions and huge salary-cap restraints have forced the Jets to gut this roster, and their ability to be active players in free agency is nonexistent.

They released veteran contributors Bart Scott, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Sione Pouha and Josh Baker to give them salary-cap relief -- and while none of them are necessarily impact players, it hurts the depth of this roster. The issue is that the Jets' free-agent losses -- LaRon Landry (Indianapolis), Dustin Keller (Miami), Mike DeVito (Kansas City), Yeremiah Bell (Arizona) and Shonn Greene (Tennessee) -- are all players who are difference-makers not likely to be replaced. Regardless of whether New York trades Darrelle Revis, you have a roster that is near the bottom of the league in terms of talent.
    Its an insider article so figured you guys can't see it anyways.

Landry was a loss, that's about it. If all of those guys were 'difference makers' we would not have been a 6 win team last year. Simply an overdue overhaul and incredibly smart management not to over pay players that other teams want to over pay.

Have to disagree. People are confusing quality with quantity. Yes, we have lost a ton of bodies, but most of those guys were old and well past their prime.

And LOL at calling Shonn Greene/Keller/Devito/Bell "difference makers". They were all, at best, solid players. I would ONLY consider landry a difference maker.

Most of the guys the jets cut are either having a hard time finding a job, finding a job as a backup, or picked up by bad teams. If they were valuable, playoff caliber teams like the Pats/broncos/packers/giants/niners/seattle would be throwing multi-year deals at them.

I was in the middle of a bunch of Philly fans today who swore we lost our best D player in Bart Scott. My head nearly exploded. lol

All Pro
    I will say this...

There's never been so many FA OLBers as there was this past year in free agency. it SUPER SUCKS that we've had to settle for the scraps. Dumerviller's about to this the open market. That sh*t should be automatic.

The casual observer sees the Jets lose a bunch of players and assumes it's a disaster. The hardcore fan knows better.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    The casual observer sees the Jets lose a bunch of players and assumes it's a disaster. The hardcore fan knows better.
    Exactly! Not one in the bunch was worth re-signing at the contracts others were willing to pay. Even Landry! Just another easy article for the media to write.

Jets Insider VIP
    As a side note, Were the top 4 teams so severely restricted in free agency this year the way the Jets were when they hit the final four two years in a row? Seems like the Jets always get screwed with this kind of stuff, doing well in the years when the price is the highest afterwards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    Exactly! Not one in the bunch was worth re-signing at the contracts others were willing to pay. Even Landry! Just another easy article for the media to write.
    LOL at the media's patheticness. During the season the roster sucked bigtime, now that that sucky roster has largely moved on, it's a terrible blow to the team.

Greene is a "difference maker?" Since when? Do these "analysts" just make stuff up to make their deadlines?

Edit: sorry I missed this above from RevisChrist:
    And LOL at calling Shonn Greene/Keller/Devito/Bell "difference makers". They were all, at best, solid players. I would ONLY consider landry a difference maker.

All League
    U can make a strong case that not a single player we lost was a "difference maker"....including Landry.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I wouldn't assume that every replacement player is going to be an upgrade. Rookies typically don't contribute much in year 1 and the vet pickups will take time to learn the systems we'll be running. There's really nothing we could possibly do in one offseason to make this a good team

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Landry was a loss, that's about it. If all of those guys were 'difference makers' we would not have been a 6 win team last year. Simply an overdue overhaul and incredibly smart management not to over pay players that other teams want to over pay.
    Pretty much agree. It's a funny spin for a team as bad as the Jets were last year in terms of collective talent. The only "void" it creates is that we need to fill more roster spots. Most of those names are merely JAGs.

DeVito and Pouha are definitely losses in terms of chemistry/leadership, but you eventually get to a point where you hope your younger quality players step up and assume that role. Unfortunately, we never really saw that on the offensive side of the ball with Brick/Mangold. With the way he's touted for his preparation and work ethic, not to mention skill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Muhammad emerge as a or the defensive leader. Same goes for Cro...guy really deserves more praise than he gets.

We'll probably feel the Landry loss the most and I would've liked Bell back for a one year deal, but I'm not too worried about any of the other losses. Keller was a good offensive weapon, but I was kind of resigned to the fact he wasn't in the long-term plans. Greene, both Smiths, Pace, and Baker can all go suck an egg. I'll never have anything bad to say about Bart -- he really helped change the mentality of this defense in '09/'10 -- but we won't really feel his loss much due to his declining play the past two seasons.

Was about to jump in and respond but everyone before me beat me to it. We lost only one good player in Landry. Losing Devito was a small loss he was a good serviceable player who could play both4-3 and 3-4 but nothing special. Really it was just Landry but everyone knew he was leaving

my thoughts exactly. with the exception of keller and landry none of though kept the other team awake at night. and even there, keller showed flashes and landry has an injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Have to disagree. People are confusing quality with quantity. Yes, we have lost a ton of bodies, but most of those guys were old and well past their prime.

Most of the guys the jets cut are either having a hard time finding a job, finding a job as a backup, or picked up by bad teams. If they were valuable, playoff caliber teams like the Pats/broncos/packers/giants/niners/seattle would be throwing multi-year deals at them.

the converse is true too. the replacements can be just as good or better. it's all going to come down to coaching. rex keeps them playing hard the whole season and we'll rapidly forget the likes of smith or pouha or devito or bell etc. i already forgot the likes of greene.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I wouldn't assume that every replacement player is going to be an upgrade. Rookies typically don't contribute much in year 1 and the vet pickups will take time to learn the systems we'll be running. There's really nothing we could possibly do in one offseason to make this a good team

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Greene is a "difference maker?" Since when? Do these "analysts" just make stuff up to make their deadlines?

Edit: sorry I missed this above from RevisChrist:
    Greene
    Good - 2 1k yard rushing seasons looks good to some overall looked like an average starter on paper.

Bad - He was ran into the ground to get those 1k yards in both years. Is not very durable and doesn't block or catch. On any other team he is a 1-2 yard option maybe.

Jets Insider VIP
    This!!!!!

Are we kidding, we had the worst talent base in the entire NFL last year!!!!

And folks act like we let go of Jim Brown, and Joe Montanna!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Greene and Keller were the "play makers" for us simply because we had no other guys touching the ball. They were both pedestrian.

I'll miss Devito and Landry (and Keller a little).

if the jets did not have severe cap restraints the loses would be considered average,