Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Sanchez win the starter spot and have a bounceback decent season?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Sanchez has never quit, he has just sucked. There is a big difference. He has always fought hard, played through injuries and stuck his neck out on the line for his teammates. He has always worked hard in the offseason. There is nothing about sanchez that says "quitter." Whether he has the skillset/makeup to ever be a good NFL QB is a totally different question.
    This is true. I personally believe that Sanchez is done, and that he needs to be moved on.

But one thing he definitely can't be accused of is quitting. He tries hard, but he's just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Lets just say that he has mentally "checked out" on more than a few occasions. He has made some piss poor, and at times, lazy throws. Sometimes it does look like he doesn't care. It is hard to tell whether that is the case or that he just sucks. My guess is that it is a little bit of both.
    When batters in baseball are in slumps they tend to take really bad swings and stare at fastballs that go right down the middle of the plate for strike 3. When pitchers fall apart, they can't throw a strike even if the game is on the line.

There is a big difference between "falling apart" like SAnchez did and "Quitting" like a Holmes/Moss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    This is true. I personally believe that Sanchez is done, and that he needs to be moved on.

But one thing he definitely can't be accused of is quitting. He tries hard, but he's just not very good.
    Like the little engine that couldn't..

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    That doesn't mean he isn't an innacurate thrower. It could all be a function of the offense he played in.
    Sanchez is on a whole other level of innaccurate to most NFL QB's.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    When batters in baseball are in slumps they tend to take really bad swings and stare at fastballs that go right down the middle of the plate for strike 3. When pitchers fall apart, they can't throw a strike even if the game is on the line.

There is a big difference between "falling apart" like SAnchez did and "Quitting" like a Holmes/Moss.
    I don't like comparing sports. The QB is a very unique position. Maybe the only halfway decent comparison would be to a closer in baseball.

When the players in the huddle look to their QB they need to see something they can believe in. QBs don't get the luxury of being mentally fragile or "falling apart" b.c when the QB falls apart the team falls apart. The QB needs to be a pillar of strength for his teammates to lean on, not the other way around.

I don't like comparing sports. The QB is a very unique position. Maybe the only halfway decent comparison would be to a closer in baseball.

When the players in the huddle look to their QB they need to see something they can believe in. QBs don't get the luxury of being mentally fragile or "falling apart" b.c when the QB falls apart the team falls apart. The QB needs to be a pillar of strength for his teammates to lean on, not the other way around.
    So that is what makes him a bad QB, not a quitter.

I get the feeling that Sanchez has already achieved everything he has ever wanted to achieve.

He's kind of like the kind of guitar player that just gets into playing because it will help him meet girls. He can be talented and work hard, but he will never be as good as the equally talented and hard-working player who gets into it because he just loves music. That's because once the girls start coming, the guy who got into it for the girls has achieved his goal. There's no need to improve or even keeping working at his craft to stay the same level. Once women like Kate Upton and Eva Longoria were hopping into his bed, Sanchez had achieved everything he ever wanted.

Now it's possible that the girls he is now attracting are down in caliber from what he could fetch in his pre-butt fumble days. So maybe he'll work harder to get back to where he was before. Or maybe he'll just coast along with whatever he can get. Probably the latter.

Lets just say that he has mentally "checked out" on more than a few occasions. He has made some piss poor, and at times, lazy throws. Sometimes it does look like he doesn't care. It is hard to tell whether that is the case or that he just sucks. My guess is that it is a little bit of both.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Yes I saw last season too and Sanchez was horrible. I mean he was bad enough that none of us would think twice if we never saw him take another snap for the Jets again. The thing is I don't think any QB was gonna have even a decent season with moron Sparano as our O-Coordinator. Example - my son plays Pop Warner football. One season an ex college player is O-coordinator and head coach and the team goes 9-1. The next season with basically the same players we get a different coach and the team goes 2-7. Hmmmm. Football is about coaching and game planning and play design and apparently Sparano couldn't do any of it effectively. Marty Mornhenwig is a highly experienced offensive coordinator. He will design effective plays for his personnel and he will get the most out of Sanchez. I think Sanchez - under Marty will possibly turn his career around and have a much better season than last year. I think he works hard enough and I think he is capeable. I see the potential. Will it happen? I guess we will see but I think the possibility it there.
    No though knowing Rex and his blind allegiance he will likely want to start Sanchez regardless. Sanchez should never stop on the field again for the Jets, he is worse than horrible.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by majf View Post
    I get the feeling that Sanchez has already achieved everything he has ever wanted to achieve.

He's kind of like the kind of guitar player that just gets into playing because it will help him meet girls. He can be talented and work hard, but he will never be as good as the equally talented and hard-working player who gets into it because he just loves music. That's because once the girls start coming, the guy who got into it for the girls has achieved his goal. There's no need to improve or even keeping working at his craft to stay the same level. Once women like Kate Upton and Eva Longoria were hopping into his bed, Sanchez had achieved everything he ever wanted.

Now it's possible that the girls he is now attracting are down in caliber from what he could fetch in his pre-butt fumble days. So maybe he'll work harder to get back to where he was before. Or maybe he'll just coast along with whatever he can get. Probably the latter.
    I guess that is why he runs jet camp west at his own expense each year. I guess that's why he met with Pennington last off season to try to learn soprano's offense b/f training camp and why he has met with Garcia to try to learn MM's offense this year because he meets girls at all these places. He may not be very good or even the worst qb in the league, but he keeps trying. How can you possibly say he doesn't try?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfaninmickeymouseland View Post
    I guess that is why he runs jet camp west at his own expense each year. I guess that's why he met with Pennington last off season to try to learn soprano's offense b/f training camp and why he has met with Garcia to try to learn MM's offense this year because he meets girls at all these places. He may not be very good or even the worst qb in the league, but he keeps trying. How can you possibly say he doesn't try?
    Maybe he believes he is trying, but when you hear him interviewed, he seems to never really understand what his root problems are. He seems to not fully process criticism, but, instead, deflects it. Remember on Hard Knocks when Shotty and Cavanaugh were trying to get through to Sanchez on something and he was totally tuning them out, making busy work stuffing his knapsack with something or other? How many times do we have to see him sulking on the bench feeling that someone else on the team has let him down, instead of learning from the experience and going to his OC and telling him how he was going to do better?

As for Jets camp west and going to Penny, etc., I too, was encouraged by this, but then I realized it was just optics. These are the kinds of things you are supposed to do to keep the coaches off of your ass, so he does them. I don't doubt he puts in some effort, but until he fully comes to terms with his own weaknesses, he will never overcome them. I just don't think he is interested in addressing his weaknesses. It's REALLY HARD to do that . . . more hard than spending a few days playing catch with your teammates and hitting up a "mentor" for a day or two. I think he has other priorities.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hopefully

It's in our best interest for Sanchez to turn it around and develop into a respectable QB.

Veteran
    Maybe he believes he is trying, but when you hear him interviewed, he seems to never really understand what his root problems are. He seems to not fully process criticism, but, instead, deflects it. Remember on Hard Knocks when Shotty and Cavanaugh were trying to get through to Sanchez on something and he was totally tuning them out, making busy work stuffing his knapsack with something or other? How many times do we have to see him sulking on the bench feeling that someone else on the team has let him down, instead of learning from the experience and going to his OC and telling him how he was going to do better?

As for Jets camp west and going to Penny, etc., I too, was encouraged by this, but then I realized it was just optics. These are the kinds of things you are supposed to do to keep the coaches off of your ass, so he does them. I don't doubt he puts in some effort, but until he fully comes to terms with his own weaknesses, he will never overcome them. I just don't think he is interested in addressing his weaknesses. It's REALLY HARD to do that . . . more hard than spending a few days playing catch with your teammates and hitting up a "mentor" for a day or two. I think he has other priorities.
    I think you're right.

Practice Squad

I am not saying his has the right mind set, just that he tries to improve. maybe it's his previous coaches or maybe he just stinks, but he does the best he can to improve. I don't think you spend that kind of money to fool coaches.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I disagree. He didn't fight hard at all the last 2 years. He has quit and just slumped around. He has always sucked but sucked more after he stopped trying. No matter how you say it he quit.
    No, more like no matter how much you want to believe it, it's not true. Bad play does not equate to quitting. Get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Hopefully

It's in our best interest for Sanchez to turn it around and develop into a respectable QB.
    I disagree here. Last thing I want is for us to be saddled with an Alex Smith QB for as long as SF was. Sanchez just doesn't have a high upside and never really did. I don't see where him all of the sudden learning to play the game would be in our best interest. Well maybe if I thought for one minute they could trade him and get what SF got for Smith but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    No, more like no matter how much you want to believe it, it's not true. Bad play does not equate to quitting. Get over yourself.
    No him quitting in his play does.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Look, everyone has their opinion on whether he can or can't save his career and obviously it doesn't look good for him. But the plain truth of the situation is the best thing that can possibly happen for the NY Jets is for him to get his act in gear and take that leap to the next level. David Garrard is not taking us to the promise land. Neither is Quinn, Kolb, McElroy, and certainly not Tebow. The only man on our roster with even a shred of a chance to do so is Mark. That's the basic sad reality. Whether that chance is 1% or even a fraction of it, that's our only real chance. IFFFFFFF, big IFFFFFFF, Mark does in fact turn it around then we are not forced to try and spend high draft picks looking for a QB next year, waiting another 2-4 years to see if that guy develops. Hate the guy all you want, I certainly am not happy with him right now. But if you really want what's best for the Jets right now you have to hope this kid turns it on this year.
    I will have what ever that man has been smoking.
    Defenses know Mark and all his weakness, they will sell the farm to come after him. They will have little fear of him beating them with his arm. They will force him in to quick panic throws and hope for turnovers at best and incompletions.at worst. Just look at the Titans game for a blueprint of how a crappy team can beat Mark.

This is like when a talk show host says Liberty has a 800-1 chance of beating Louisville and some guy calls up and says "So what your saying is there is a chance.". eh No

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If somehow Sanchez can channel his inner 2010, there is a solid chance he can turn it around.

I'm a half glass full guy, so I think he can turn it around. Does it mean that with each and every pass, I'm holding my breath? Of course it does....but isn't that always the case being a Jets fan.

I'm rooting for him....it would be great if he could do it.....New Yorkers love a good comeback