Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can Sanchez win the starter spot and have a bounceback decent season?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    +1 I couldn't agree with you more. I hope truly from the bottom of my heart that Sanchez surprises us all and comes into his own. I just don't believe it's going to happen. I've seen too much bad play from him for too long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    It's certainly possible, but the chances are slim in my opinion.

Some of Sanchez's biggest issues are accuracy, reading a defense, general awareness, and lack of leadership.

His accuracy is not going to magically improve. It is what it is.

Reading a defense and general awareness can improve, but this typically occurs for young, inexperienced quarterbacks, not quarterbacks going into their fifth season with about 70 games under their belts. The game is too fast for Sanchez, he's subpar in evaluating risk vs. reward during split second decisions, and he's far too mindless about possession of the ball. I don't see these improving to an acceptable level.

Leadership usually grows with experience and age, but I do not have any confidence in Sanchez being able to put a team on his back and lead. He's a follower, affected far too much by external forces instead of taking things into his own hands. Time will tell, but it's running out quickly for him.
    Accuracy, in practice most NFL qbs including Mark can put the ball anywhere you ask.....its all about timing come game time. How can you expect Mark to be accurate during game time when he has a different system, different receivers everyy ****ing year??.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    While my heart hopes that Sanchez can be salvaged by Marty, my head & eyes says otherwise.
    What I witnessed last year was a trainwreck at QB.
    Forget that we had sucky players, he still made the same mind boggling picks in the red zone, he still threw horrific picks while rolling to his right throwing late instead of just hurling the ball in the stands.
    He's a defiant little chit that needs to mature & take to the coaching that's given to him. He needs to suck it up, stop pouting & take control of an offense & prove to his teammates that he knows what the fack he's doing out there.
    Will he, I doubt it.
    Can he, who really knows. The ball is in Marks court, he has the talent, his brain needs to follow. I will say that athletes never like to be embarrassed & last year was about as embarrassing year I've seen for an athlete.
    We'll see what kind of character & heart Mark has in the camp & preseason.
    All of us know that the talent surrounding Mark last year was the worst in the league, hands down!
    Green- we all agreed that he was a huge disappointment & left a lot of yards on the field.
    Hill- you could tell the guy only had 29 receptions or whatever the hell he did in college.
    Holmes- gone
    Keller- gone
    Kerley- was our best receiver @ he played dinged up a lot.
    Cumberland- non blocking Jag
    Gates- what?
    Schillens- What?
    This might have been the worst group on offense EVER in the NFL!
    You find me an offense out of the 32 teams that fielded each week, poorer starters than that list above.
    Lets remember, that the only QB in NFL history good enough to lift garbage around him was Elway.
    My god, Matt Ryan had, Turner & jaquis, HOF TE, Roddy White & Julio Jones.
    See any difference there?
    Ummmm this 100%!!!!!!

The only problem is folks out here some how believed last year that if only we had some other QB this talent on the Jets would become HOF eligiable!!!

Indeed in one thread one poster last year attacked me for saying what you posted here by saying that the Jets talent last year was " the best in the NY Jets history."
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 03-22-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Accuracy, in practice most NFL qbs including Mark can put the ball anywhere you ask.....its all about timing come game time. How can you expect Mark to be accurate during game time when he has a different system, different receivers everyy ****ing year??.

Thank you!!!

You are right of course but people are only interested in FF not reality.

No QB who was picked in the top ten has been handled the way Sanchez and this offense has been in the mordern era of football. (Ummm and guess what; having a good defense does not mean that you have taken care of the offense)

Does this excuse Sanchez's horendous play last year?

No of course not!!!

But to argue that somehow Sanchez was the key reason why our offensive players were awful is to be blind to reality and to what it takes to win in the NFL.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 03-22-2013 at 08:06 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the sheer amount of times I've seen the buttfumble replayed on ESPN, I hope to God that Sanchez plays well and sticks a thumb in everyone's eye.

Not very likely though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my mind, this is nothing more than a convenient excuse.

Of course timing is an important aspect of the passing game, but that's why players go through almost daily repetitions in mini-camp, training camp, preseason, and practice throughout the season. There are changes in player personnel and offensive systems every single year throughout the NFL yet most quarterbacks tend to keep their completion percentage and overall level of play relatively steady.

Sanchez will never be accurate by NFL standards which means fitting the ball into tight spaces defined by an inch or two. It's a physical limitation that simply needs to be accepted. He's a sub 60 percent completion percentage quarterback, and that's very tough to overcome in a pass happy league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmm this 100%!!!!!!

The only problem is folks out here some how believed last year that if only we had some other QB this talent on the Jets would become HOF eligiable!!!

Indeed in one thread one poster last year attacked me for saying what you posted here by saying that the Jets talent last year was " the best in the NY Jets history."
    we've had four years of Sanchez sucking, it wasn't just last year

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys can blame Sanchez all you want, but can guarantee that the receivers he had last year will not get a starting role in the NFL next year (Gilyard, Gates, Schillens, Hill), but we trotted these guys out there and ask Mark to put up huge numbers and win games for us!
    Add to the list that our starting back was Greene and our OC was Sparaono... well thats a recipe for disaster for any QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if factors into every team. even the great brady is useless if his line doesn't block down (and cheat and hold while we're at it) and welker isn't free in the flat to bail his azz out. as for the jets and their potential qb lineup thus far, there is a slight chance sanchez can turn it around but the team's upside with kolb or even mcelroy or garrard is much better.

not sure why there isn't much love for kolb. he has proven to be able to be accurate and that means he's quick to decide where to throw the ball. garrard? too old and was plenty banged up but he was also a gamer. he'll try to give it his all. mcelroy? still way too early to tell. give him the team at the beginning of the season as opposed to one that has all but given up and he may show something really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Look, everyone has their opinion on whether he can or can't save his career and obviously it doesn't look good for him. But the plain truth of the situation is the best thing that can possibly happen for the NY Jets is for him to get his act in gear and take that leap to the next level. David Garrard is not taking us to the promise land. Neither is Quinn, Kolb, McElroy, and certainly not Tebow. The only man on our roster with even a shred of a chance to do so is Mark. That's the basic sad reality. Whether that chance is 1% or even a fraction of it, that's our only real chance. IFFFFFFF, big IFFFFFFF, Mark does in fact turn it around then we are not forced to try and spend high draft picks looking for a QB next year, waiting another 2-4 years to see if that guy develops. Hate the guy all you want, I certainly am not happy with him right now. But if you really want what's best for the Jets right now you have to hope this kid turns it on this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    not that i care much about sparano since he's gone elsewhere, but continually bashing him for the offense when he too had to put up with the very same receivers, rb's, and oline is just not fair. it totally ignores that the jets came a dropped pass from beating the patsies outright in the first game and did well against the texans. i'm not excluding him from the team's failures but he wasn't the only thing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJets View Post
    You guys can blame Sanchez all you want, but can guarantee that the receivers he had last year will not get a starting role in the NFL next year (Gilyard, Gates, Schillens, Hill), but we trotted these guys out there and ask Mark to put up huge numbers and win games for us!
    Add to the list that our starting back was Greene and our OC was Sparaono... well thats a recipe for disaster for any QB.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Yes I saw last season too and Sanchez was horrible. I mean he was bad enough that none of us would think twice if we never saw him take another snap for the Jets again. The thing is I don't think any QB was gonna have even a decent season with moron Sparano as our O-Coordinator. Example - my son plays Pop Warner football. One season an ex college player is O-coordinator and head coach and the team goes 9-1. The next season with basically the same players we get a different coach and the team goes 2-7. Hmmmm. Football is about coaching and game planning and play design and apparently Sparano couldn't do any of it effectively. Marty Mornhenwig is a highly experienced offensive coordinator. He will design effective plays for his personnel and he will get the most out of Sanchez. I think Sanchez - under Marty will possibly turn his career around and have a much better season than last year. I think he works hard enough and I think he is capeable. I see the potential. Will it happen? I guess we will see but I think the possibility it there.
    Career backup is Sanchez's destiny.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Micaboy View Post
    26 years old, why not? Not about to get a tattoo of my wife in a #6 jersey but you never know if or when things click.

Not saying it's gonna happen but really look at who he had last year to throw the ball to.
    He was also handcuffed by some atrocious playcalling from Sparano. Got yanked only for Tebow to be thrown to the dogs instead of running it over the line. He didn't have much in the way of receivers either. Granted he made some bone head moves but he was put in a position to fail, which is how the whole debacle turned out. I'm willing to give him another chance this year. He's shown what he is capable of when the team and playcalling is built to his strengths.

I believe Morninwheg can bring out the best in him and tailor his system to suit MS's strengths - flexibility and enhancing your available talent rather than rigid gameplan is the hallmark of grteat coaches. And Morny has a proven track history...

Idzik is a good GM, he already got Tone in line, picked up a pass catching speed rb in Goodson, I like his style and we chould be able to pick up more decent talent. I am optimistic about this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind if the Jets picked up Vollmer to stack the OL if his price is right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump.

Thats my first internet dump ever. Or whatever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes

Eff U All

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually that's 100% not accurate.

Even in practice Sanchez struggles with accuracy. Each year the first hand reports come out saying he's wild, throwing picks, too many incomplete passes and every year people on this board say its just practice and he's learning a new system, his wr's are to blame, the jets defense is better than any team they will face, int's in practice don't matter, etc..

Guys like Sanchez complete 50% of their passes in practice... Guys like Andrew Luck complete over 80% of his passes in practice (in fact he did that in his very first practice as a pro)...

No doubt though, Rex will be trying to con everyone including Sanchez on how great he looks in practice, like a totally different player...

And that's pretty much when you know, we're in trouble again...

The kid still sucks...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only bounce back that sanchez will have is his famous butt fumble.

honestly, he got screwed by how they implemented the offense. Constantlt taking him out when he had momentum was not fair.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    sanchez will definetely be better next year by default. no qb can duplicate such suckage.maybe if he was blind folded and forced to play barefoot could he be worse. to say how much better is the question.but on a serious note,i think he can get back to being average and competant

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    we've had four years of Sanchez sucking, it wasn't just last year
    We've had 4 years of Rex Ryan's mind numbing G&P bull****. Sanchez was a problem but the root lies with our DC masquerading as a HC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    We've had 4 years of Rex Ryan's mind numbing G&P bull****. Sanchez was a problem but the root lies with our DC masquerading as a HC.
    Ummmm why dont people get this.

Why doesnt Rex get any blame for Sanchez's regression

Rex clearly knew NOTHING about developing a QB. Nothing. Least of all Rex knew nothing about developing a young and inexperienced QB like Sanchez.

Rex and his apologist can't say he knows nothing about running an offense, lost the team with regards to the Jets offense (Rex's own admission), but that he magically somehow knows what to do with developing young QBs and that Rex made wise moves concerning Sanchez.

Rex's incompetence in this area directly and adversely impacted the Jets. And IMO to the posters who are enamored with Rex's defensive ability, his mismagement of the QB postion has to be factored into his overall record as a HC.

Having a good defense doesn't mean you know how to run a good defense