Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's very tough for idzik to give revis to a team, only get 2014 picks, and have revis make those picks worse as he makes that team better. there must be some 2013 compensation in the deal, whether it's a 2nd this year, or a 5th or something.
    Revis isn't making the bucks turn into San Fran. They still have a pretty weak qb. And not the best coach in the world.. Maybe they throw in a 5th to get the deal done.. It's tough to gain leverage without other teams fighting over revis..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Tampa offered their 3rd round this year (pick 73, the Jets currently pick at 72 in the third), their first and second in 2014, I would sign that deal in a second. When push comes to shove I think Tampa will give up the 3rd, their owners want Revis and they will not let a 3rd round pick prevent them from getting him.
    That was my scenario as well which I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Idzik needs to come out of this at least with a 2013 3rd and 2014 1st and 2nd.

It's difficult to rebuild off of 1 draft absent getting a franchise QB. Jets need picks in multiple drafts. It also helps salary wise with players not becoming FAs all at same time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Well the problem is that it is assumed that Revis is asking for way more than 56 million. If all Revis wanted was 56 million I think he would have been re-signed by now......
    The salary cap back then was around the 65 million dollar mark. Today, it is 123 million. The perecentage is nearly identical.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

It's difficult to rebuild off of 1 draft absent getting a franchise QB. Jets need picks in multiple drafts. It also helps salary wise with players not becoming FAs all at same time.
    I wouldn't say he "needs" to. Would be a nice haul. Who knows what he's waiting for though? If it were me I'd have taken the 2014 first and second and started salivating over Teddy B already. But maybe the I-man is holding out for something truly absurd, like a RG3 deal. At some point he's got to settle because by all accounts the bucs are offering a pretty good deal here, even without 2013 picks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is truth to this and King isn't just blowing smoke out of his ass, then you take that deal and don't think twice.

Idzik shouldn't be worried about appeasing the fanbase with a mid-round pick this year. He needs to worry about what is best for this team in the long haul.

This would give us the ammo to move up for Bridgewater next year if necessary.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If there is truth to this and King isn't just blowing smoke out of his ass, then you take that deal and don't think twice.

Idzik shouldn't be worried about appeasing the fanbase with a mid-round pick this year. He needs to worry about what is best for this team in the long haul.

This would give us the ammo to move up for Bridgewater next year if necessary.
    Unless I'm mistaken idzik is doing what's best for the team and holding out for the best offer... I'd be more worried if he cared about appeasing a select group of "smarter" fans by jumping at the first offer because he's scared and doesn't understand negotiation

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The bold would be basically equal to getting a two 3rds and a 2nd this year, which isn't terrible, but still not the type of value I'd expect.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this report is true this is what I see:

- Idzik knows how to play poker

- TB is desperate to get Revis

- TB or Revis agents are leaking info in the hopes that Idzik reacts
    before he gets everything he wants

Idzik knows he has TB on the hook because they could easily move onto
    another CB on the open market and not give up assets. Personally I want
    a #1, #2 and a #3 for Revis over the next two drafts. It seems Idzik wants
    the same thing but he wants a #1 this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post

The fact that Idzik so obviously wants a #1 this year is very interesting. He clearly has a very specific objective in mind for going into this year's draft, and I'd say his plans don't include tanking the season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

At least????

From your lips to god's ears, but I doubt that's happening unless some other mystery team shows up. A 1st and 2nd - in whatever draft - is a good deal considering the totality of the circumstances. To me, if that is indeed a real offer and Idzik can get the 2nd rounder in 2013, that's a coup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your insight to this situation. I believe a deal will get done and Idzik will get what he wants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Bingo... TB can trade for a good corner at a much lower price but they want revis. They are going to have to pay up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The fact that Idzik so obviously wants a #1 this year is very interesting. He clearly has a very specific objective in mind for going into this year's draft, and I'd say his plans don't include tanking the season.
    or, he is guaranteed the #13 pick this year, whereas next year if tampa is better idzik could have a pick in the 20-25 range. plus he gets it a year earlier. i can't recall a trade of a star player where the team who trades the player gets no assets to help them in the upcoming season. it makes zero sense and frankly, it's a crappy offer by TB if it's true.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken idzik is doing what's best for the team and holding out for the best offer... I'd be more worried if he cared about appeasing a select group of "smarter" fans by jumping at the first offer because he's scared and doesn't understand negotiation
    I love that Idzik is playing hardball, but I seriously doubt that you're going to get a much better offer than a 1st and 2nd round pick for a CB coming off ACL surgery, regardless of how great he is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Bingo... TB can trade for a good corner at a much lower price but they want revis. They are going to have to pay up
    It doesn't mean that they will pay anything or wait til opening day. If they can't come to an agreement, eventually TB will go with plan B.

We all have no idea what the talks (if any) are about. But those who think we can merely state our demands and simply wait for TB to pony up are not living in reality.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I love that Idzik is playing hardball, but I seriously doubt that you're going to get a much better offer than a 1st and 2nd round pick for a CB coming off ACL surgery, regardless of how great he is.
    Put all the cbs in this league in a pile and then take a yard stick and put Revis a full yard above the rest of them. If Revis was some 'good' cb or a 'top 5' cb they wouldn't be after him hard. He's the best at his position and it hasn't even been close despite the laughable comments about Aso who was exposed and Woodson who was exposed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It doesn't mean that they will pay anything or wait til opening day. If they can't come to an agreement, eventually TB will go with plan B.

We all have no idea what the talks (if any) are about. But those who think we can merely state our demands and simply wait for TB to pony up are not living in reality.
    We still have the player... IMO Tampa showed their cards too early. We all know leaked trade offers are leaked for a reason. They know that's not enough to get it done so they resort to media. A trade for revis is a blockbuster deal

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We still have the player... IMO Tampa showed their cards too early. We all know leaked trade offers are leaked for a reason. They know that's not enough to get it done so they resort to media. A trade for revis is a blockbuster deal
    tampa is dumb, we should get something done before they realize they have all the leverage.. I don't see them competing for a championship this year. If say SF comes back in and only interested as a 1 year rental, or another team.. or not even a 1 year rental but want to trade and then wait to sign possibly end of year.. Tampa may back off knowing it would be best for them just to wait for FA and get Revis without paying ANYTHING in terms of picks.. all their worries or wonders about his knee will be proven by next year FA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least????

From your lips to god's ears, but I doubt that's happening unless some other mystery team shows up. A 1st and 2nd - in whatever draft - is a good deal considering the totality of the circumstances. To me, if that is indeed a real offer and Idzik can get the 2nd rounder in 2013, that's a coup.
    A 2014 1st and 2nd is the equivelent of a 2nd and 3rd in 2013 like McClane mentioned. That's not a big haul. An extra 3rd sweetens it. But like I said, that isn't a huge haul. That's baseline, hence, the "at least" phrase.

But the main point is that the Jets need at least 3 picks from this trade and 2 drafts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

The longer the Bucs wait, the greater the chance that another team would offer an attractive deal closer to draft day. That's the problem from the Bucs perspective.

The Jets just want draft picks. They can get that from any team willing to part with them. The Bucs want Revis. That's the major distinction.