Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 265

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    All I read was that the Bucs were "willing" to pay in the region of $12 - $13m ... in that case I'd be OK with us looking to resign him for a similar amount.
    I was referencing the Peter King article which said $15mm per year.

    I agree, for 12mm we should try and keep him.

    - The Bucs, meanwhile, would be poised to sign Revis long-term. Lots of numbers have been floated in the press in recent days, but I'm told Tampa Bay would be willing to pay Revis somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 million per year (with no state taxes in Florida versus a big chunk in New Jersey)

    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2OCpZJLCO

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjet View Post
    I get the 1 year delay concept in terms of immediate gratification but never could quite grasp the concept a 1st rounder losing value because it's a year delayed?
    Two things - one, you don't get a player till next year, so you're a year "behind" on that player's development, and have a hole this year that still needs to be filled. (Liken it to lending someone $10, and either getting it back next week or next year); and two, the value of next year's pick is variable - sure, you could luck out and get a high pick, but you're helping that team get better so are lessening that chance. That risk is what lessens the value.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Two things - one, you don't get a player till next year, so you're a year "behind" on that player's development, and have a hole this year that still needs to be filled. (Liken it to lending someone $10, and either getting it back next week or next year); and two, the value of next year's pick is variable - sure, you could luck out and get a high pick, but you're helping that team get better so are lessening that chance. That risk is what lessens the value.
    on the flip side, tampa is taking the risk that revis is healthy and as productive this year as he was. just saying there's risk on both sides. i think if revis were completely healthy, it would help sway the negotiations.

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,739
    I must say... I like that Idzik is no pushover. I have heard it said that he is a tough negotiator.

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think all of your points are valid, but isn't a huge risk to play this game?

    At some point Tampa will move on, if the news is true (and it very well may not be) that there is no other real bidder for Revis - isn't it the prudent decision to take this deal and be happy?

    I understand we might get more, but we also might get less. a 1st and 2nd next year seems like a nice package.
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hate the trade, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

    My guess is that the Bucs are the only serious contender at this point. However, I also think that the number of interested teams will rise if/when Revis returns to the field and shows he's still the best CB in the league.

    It's a risk to wait it out, but at the same time I don't see the need to rush into a trade for 2014 picks only. What's the incentive other than getting it over with and turning the page? I think there will be a market/similar offers available early next season.

    Keep in mind this latest report from King is coming only days after the Bucs were reported to be frustrated with the situation. Negotiations can be tough, but it seems like Idzik is playing it perfectly. The Jets are in control and have the leverage. Push for an additional pick this year.

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    on the flip side, tampa is taking the risk that revis is healthy and as productive this year as he was. just saying there's risk on both sides. i think if revis were completely healthy, it would help sway the negotiations.
    Quite agree in this particular situation ... the remarks I made were more about trades in general.

  7. #67
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hate the trade, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

    My guess is that the Bucs are the only serious contender at this point. However, I also think that the number of interested teams will rise if/when Revis returns to the field and shows he's still the best CB in the league.

    It's a risk to wait it out, but at the same time I don't see the need to rush into a trade for 2014 picks only. What's the incentive other than getting it over with and turning the page? I think there will be a market/similar offers available early next season.

    Keep in mind this latest report from King is coming only days after the Bucs were reported to be frustrated with the situation. Negotiations can be tough, but it seems like Idzik is playing it perfectly. The Jets are in control and have the leverage. Push for an additional pick this year.
    The incentive is that Tampa will not wait forever for the Jets to trade Revis, they need to address CB either through free agency or the draft, the longer the Jets wait, the more time teams have to fill their CB needs.

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hate the trade, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

    My guess is that the Bucs are the only serious contender at this point. However, I also think that the number of interested teams will rise if/when Revis returns to the field and shows he's still the best CB in the league.

    It's a risk to wait it out, but at the same time I don't see the need to rush into a trade for 2014 picks only. What's the incentive other than getting it over with and turning the page? I think there will be a market/similar offers available early next season.

    Keep in mind this latest report from King is coming only days after the Bucs were reported to be frustrated with the situation. Negotiations can be tough, but it seems like Idzik is playing it perfectly. The Jets are in control and have the leverage. Push for an additional pick this year.
    I think Idzik is playing it right - no need to panic / rush into something. Tampa have increased their offer, we should take time to mull it over, and maybe go back with a counter (e.g. 3rd this year and 1st next year - not a huge difference, but I'd argue that's better for us). If they reject we can still accept their current offer, it's not going to disappear all of a sudden (unless they're not serious in the first place).

    We've been patient so far, I don't think this will change any time soon.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,278
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hate the trade, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

    My guess is that the Bucs are the only serious contender at this point. However, I also think that the number of interested teams will rise if/when Revis returns to the field and shows he's still the best CB in the league.

    It's a risk to wait it out, but at the same time I don't see the need to rush into a trade for 2014 picks only. What's the incentive other than getting it over with and turning the page? I think there will be a market/similar offers available early next season.Keep in mind this latest report from King is coming only days after the Bucs were reported to be frustrated with the situation. Negotiations can be tough, but it seems like Idzik is playing it perfectly. The Jets are in control and have the leverage. Push for an additional pick this year.
    Isn't Revis a FA after this season??

  10. #70
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    229
    Thanks for the reply James R. Also, worse case scenerio Jets don't trade Revis and he works his ass off to prove he is ok and the Jets continue to have a very good defense. At that stage he is unlikely to be signed by the Jets but he becomes a very valuable trade commodity for 2014. It's a gamble but I think Idzik doesn't back himself into a corner and plays a good poker game. He'll pull the plug when the value is right. You have to be willing to walk away - if nothing happens the Jets still have Revis.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Isn't Revis a FA after this season??
    You cant trade a free agent??? I bet the Raiders could fall for it.

  12. #72
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,278
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You cant trade a free agent??? I bet the Raiders could fall for it.
    Maybe Parafly is also??

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjet View Post
    Thanks for the reply James R. Also, worse case scenerio Jets don't trade Revis and he works his ass off to prove he is ok and the Jets continue to have a very good defense. At that stage he is unlikely to be signed by the Jets but he becomes a very valuable trade commodity for 2014. It's a gamble but I think Idzik doesn't back himself into a corner and plays a good poker game. He'll pull the plug when the value is right. You have to be willing to walk away - if nothing happens the Jets still have Revis.
    Guys, he is a free agent after the season, there is no trade scenario after the trade deadline this season.

  14. #74
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The incentive is that Tampa will not wait forever for the Jets to trade Revis, they need to address CB either through free agency or the draft, the longer the Jets wait, the more time teams have to fill their CB needs.
    You are right, they won't wait forever, but they have been waiting this long. It reeks of desire and desperation, and the Jets should use that to their advantage.

    Any team trading for Revis would not be doing it to fill an immediate CB need, but rather to attain one of the best defensive players in the NFL for years to come.

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Isn't Revis a FA after this season??
    I meant later this year ... 2013 early season before the trade deadline.

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I think Idzik is playing it right - no need to panic / rush into something. Tampa have increased their offer.
    Has the offer really been increased? Wasn't there a report last week that the Bucs wanted to trade a 2013 2nd round pick and a conditional 2014 1st round pick? If true, this latest offer isn't really any better unless the condition for the 2014 1st round pick in the first offer was hard to attain.

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,278
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I meant later this year ... 2013 early season before the trade deadline.
    It could be for a team in the playoff hunt but if Revis don't like the team and refuses a long term deal what happens then?

  18. #78
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,114
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I meant later this year ... 2013 early season before the trade deadline.
    Way too much risk for the Jets to wait that long. The Jets would be dealing from a desperate position then.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Future picks are typically valued one round lower. Essentially, the Jets would be trading Revis for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not terrible, but not great either.
    That's complete hogwash especially in the jets situation.. Jets aren't competing for championship next yr, maybe 2/5 of the nfl is thinking they have a shot now. To those teams draft picks now matter more. Especially when qb is your biggest problem and qb class stinks this yr.. Next yr is better. For those two reasons next yrs draft should be valued higher..

  20. #80
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It could be for a team in the playoff hunt but if Revis don't like the team and refuses a long term deal what happens then?
    There is no denying that there is risk involved by waiting. There is also risk in taking future picks right now because there is no way to know how well the other team will do next year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us