Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Future picks are typically valued one round lower. Essentially, the Jets would be trading Revis for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not terrible, but not great either.
    But for a QB starved team, circumstances such as quality of QBs in the draft supercede that old adage. I don't agree that trading for a future year pick necessarily has a present value of a round lower. The comparative value from one year to the next is drastically changed with the available talent pool. With an extra 1st and 2nd, we can get in position for Bridgewater, Manziel or go even lower for what is better than the best QBs in the 2013 draft. When you're desperate for a franchise QB, you take extreme measures. Idzik would have to take that and run. Would be nice to get a 2013 pick or player too, but let's not jinx this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    I'd do this.

But I'd first ask for a second this year, a first next year and a conditional second next year if Revis hits certain performance goals that prove he's healthy (starts 14 games, makes Pro Bowl, whatever.)
    This.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Guys, he is a free agent after the season, there is no trade scenario after the trade deadline this season.
    Exactly, factoring in injury, no franchise option, how much revis wants, ect. Teams have jets by the balls.. I think izdik is playing very tough considering the little leverage he has.. If he pulls off what the article says I think he did a great job with the craphand he was delt.. But play to tough and stay in the game too long and we can lose big.. As mentioned bucks are only team showing major interest.. There is no guarantee teams will coming later..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no denying that there is risk involved by waiting. There is also risk in taking future picks right now because there is no way to know how well the other team will do next year.
    So what?? Does it really matter? Does it really matter if it is the 17th or 23rd pick in the first? So you would rather wait until the season starts and hope a desperate team comes knocking and get half the compensation over not being sure exactly what pick in the first and second round you will have??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    If this goes through, I will root harder for the Bucs to suck than for the Jets to do well.

JOHNNY FOOTBALL BABY!!!
    not so fast. Watch Bridgewater.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way too much risk for the Jets to wait that long. The Jets would be dealing from a desperate position then.
    How would it be any more of a desperate position than it is now?

Examine the current situation. The Bucs are willing to give up their first two draft picks in 2014 for a player that's rehabbing a major injury AND will be a FA in less than 12 months.

You think Revis' value and the Jets' leverage will go down in a few months once Revis proves he's healthy and playing at a high level? If anything, his value will go up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It could be for a team in the playoff hunt but if Revis don't like the team and refuses a long term deal what happens then?
    Revis would have this decision:

Either stay with the Jets and earn $6 million coming off an injury with no further guaranteed money ( injury risk w/no guarantee not very smart)

or

Take $11 -12 million per year with $30 - 40 -million guarantee from alleged unsatisfactory trade partner.

Are you really worried?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Examine the current situation. The Bucs are willing to give up their first two draft picks in 2014 for a player that's rehabbing a major injury AND will be a FA in less than 12 months.

You think Revis' value and the Jets' leverage will go down in a few months once Revis proves he's healthy and playing at a high level? If anything, his value will go up.
    So you think Tampa will give more for Revis after they draft and sign some free agent CBs??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    But for a QB starved team, circumstances such as quality of QBs in the draft supercede that old adage.
    This is a moving target.

Why is everyone pretending like they know exactly how the rookie quarterback class will turn out in 2014? All it takes is one or two injuries, a down year, and everything changes.

Future picks are most certainly valued one round lower for the shear fact that the team has to wait a full year before it can capitalize on the trade. Not to mention all of the unknown variables and circumstances which can alter perceptions greatly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are at a 1 and 2 now, they will be offering more come draft day... They need to sell tix....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has the offer really been increased? Wasn't there a report last week that the Bucs wanted to trade a 2013 2nd round pick and a conditional 2014 1st round pick? If true, this latest offer isn't really any better unless the condition for the 2014 1st round pick in the first offer was hard to attain.
    The report I read last week was Tampa were offering EITHER a 2nd this year or a 1st next year. So on this basis they've added a 2nd next year to the deal.

Personally, I'm totally against any offer that is limited to a single pick. If we can get a 3rd this year and 1st next year, I'd be much happier. 1 & 2 next year is good, but I'm not blown away by it either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a moving target.

Why is everyone pretending like they know exactly how the rookie quarterback class will turn out in 2014? All it takes is one or two injuries, a down year, and everything changes.

Future picks are most certainly valued one round lower for the shear fact that the team has to wait a full year before it can capitalize on the trade. Not to mention all of the unknown variables and circumstances which can alter perceptions greatly.
    Exactly. What was the view on Barkley last year ... and where is he now? Plus a single injury can totally throw the situation out, reducing supply of a highly sought commodity. Then the price of any trade up skyrockets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you think Tampa will give more for Revis after they draft and sign some free agent CBs??
    There are 32 teams in the NFL, and in my opinion, some of them will become much more interested in a trade for Revis once he's proven himself healthy on the field.

I think the injury and his asking price are scaring teams off. Luckily, knees heal and markets correct. Time could certainly benefit the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Exactly, factoring in injury, no franchise option, how much revis wants, ect. Teams have jets by the balls..
    and the Jets have Revis by the balls.

I think izdik is playing very tough considering the little leverage he has.. If he pulls off what the article says I think he did a great job with the craphand he was delt..
    agreed

But play to tough and stay in the game too long and we can lose big.. As mentioned bucks are only team showing major interest..
    for now

There is no guarantee teams will coming later..
    And for Tampa, there is no guarantee that there won't be,

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a moving target.

All personnel acquisitions are a moving target.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

True.. but we are just automatically suppose to expect Revis will come back and play at a high level right off the bat? Very risky..His value could also go down. It could take him half a season to come back full form. by then we would have already had to trade him. Revis may also want to take it easy and not risk injury early on.. he knows as long as his 2nd half is strong he will get his big payday next offseason.

But lets say he is playing at a high level early and teams want him. Revis and his agents probably will want more $ than they do now. Figuring his value is as high as it was before he got hurt. Teams arent going to want to pay revis top dollar and also up a hoard of picks. By then Revis may not agree to sign until after next year, thinking he only has to tough it out rest of the regular season (jets arent making playoffs).d then will have a lot more teams interested in him when those teams only have to pay him ,and not a draft pick ransom to the jets.He will surely get more on the open market.

its a crap shoot if we wait, odds not in our favor if we do.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    You guys can believe Peter King all you want

Since when has he been right on the Revis front?
    You may not like him, but he's pretty tapped in to the goings on around the league. He's not posting his opinion (except about where the Jets should take the picks), he's stating what he is hearing about the negotiations.

I wouldn't take it as gospel, but I have no reason to think he is misleading us. Purposefullly or otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the offer is on the table, take it, if you can't fit Revis in take the picks 2013 is a bust anyway, trade down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to that article Revis has been paid $32 million over the last two years, altogether. Wow. Sounds like he already is the highest paid defensive player. He is a greedy bastard and I'm sure Woody's hand is still stinging from signing those checks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You may not like him, but he's pretty tapped in to the goings on around the league. He's not posting his opinion (except about where the Jets should take the picks), he's stating what he is hearing about the negotiations.

I wouldn't take it as gospel, but I have no reason to think he is misleading us. Purposefullly or otherwise.
    +1

For scoops/inside info, King is one of the best. For actual football analysis or understanding of the cap, I avoid him.