Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football is more about coaching and less about players...

Football is more about coaching and less about players...

Basketball is the opposite. In football you can win games as long as the coaching is superior than the talent. When I look at this team since Rex came onboard, I see a defensive team taking too much of the burden and poor play at QB and even worse coaching, lets face it Schotty and Sparano are both terrible coordinator, that's why I am somewhat optimistic, for the first time in years we have a very capable offensive coordinator, in terms of offensive philosophy, game planning and proven track record, Marty is head and shoulders above what we had here.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 03-24-2013 at 08:10 PM.

All Pro
    Football is 90% Quarterback.

Everything else is gravy.

BB was a 3rd rate head coach with the Browns.

jets haven't had a decent OC in my lifetime, hopefully they do now.. Im not asking for the best, just someone capable.. Look at Ravens this year, playoff hopeful team in the middle of the season fires their OC because he wasn't getting the job done.. Turned out pretty good..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Basketball is the opposite. In football you can win games as long as the coaching is superior than the talent. When I look at this team since Rex came onboard, I see a defensive team taking too much of the burden and poor play at QB and even worse coaching, lets face it Schotty and Sparano are both terrible coordinator, that's why I am somewhat optimistic, for the first time in years we have a very capable offensive coordinator, in terms of offensive phylosophy, game planning and proven track record, Marty is head and shoulders above what we had here.
    Agreed. My sig has said that for over a year now.

Talent is important but coaching and development is key.

Basketball is the opposite. In football you can win games as long as the coaching is superior than the talent. When I look at this team since Rex came onboard, I see a defensive team taking too much of the burden and poor play at QB and even worse coaching, lets face it Schotty and Sparano are both terrible coordinator, that's why I am somewhat optimistic, for the first time in years we have a very capable offensive coordinator, in terms of offensive phylosophy, game planning and proven track record, Marty is head and shoulders above what we had here.
    Football like all professional sports is about ownership. Everything else derives from that. Being a Jets and Mets fan has cruelly reinforced that truism over the decades.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Loco en la cabeza.

It's a combination of both and good coordinators are an important as well as are having good backups for depth.

P.S.Barry Switzer

Hall Of Fame
    In the NFL, coaching is more important than any other sport BUT talent still reigns supreme.

Hall Of Fame
    I completely agree and feel the same way.
    And all of these Rex haters would be crying for years if he ended up coaching in NE or Indy or ANY other team with a halfway decent QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I completely agree and feel the same way.
    And all of these Rex haters would be crying for years if he ended up coaching in NE or Indy or ANY other team with a halfway decent QB.
    You're saying you agree, but state Rex would be a great coach with a good QB? That's the opposite of the point he's making.

It's my contention, as someone mentioned above, that QB play in today's NFL makes or breaks teams. Get quality QB play and your team wins - don't get it and you lose.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You're saying you agree, but state Rex would be a great coach with a good QB? That's the opposite of the point he's making.

It's my contention, as someone mentioned above, that QB play in today's NFL makes or breaks teams. Get quality QB play and your team wins - don't get it and you lose.
    ?

He was talking about how horrible our OC's have been (if you can even call them that) and our even worse QB situation.
    A sh*t ton of people on here want to blame Rex and can't wait to see him fired... that is what i was referring to. Kind of a sidenote, but in the ballpark of what the OP was saying, I think.

I think Rex IS a great coach, as do many NFL players. I didn't see anyone quitting on him at the end of last season when the games didn't matter...

I bet Belicheat would've had less wins with the same roster.

No doubt QB's are the most important position, but ask Marino if great QB play is in and of itself enough to win SB. Nor do you need great QB play to make it to and to win a SB, ask Dilfer. It's a "team" sport. Coaching, chemistry, talent and luck are always part of the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post

please explain how he was a 3rd rate HC?

Gary Stevens said it best . You can't make chicken salad out of Chicken sh-t . I don't care what coach your talking about you're probably only as good as the talent you have around you. See Jimmy Johnson early cowboy years.

If your statement was even remotely true than Johnson wouldn't have had the record he had his first couple of years with Cowboys.

The Great Bill Parcells how many coaching jobs did he leave at the right time. ( Stuck it to ray Handley by leaving an aging roster + knew the run was over) You think that was by accident or coincidence when Bill Parcells decided to semi retire.
    The Great Bill Bellichick didn't want to coach the jets but rather the Patriots who had more talent he perceived.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-24-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    good post.....I have no worries about the defense....the offense is what always killed us.....I too am optimistic with our new oc.....I have a good feeling that this offense will actually resemble an nfl offense unlike the garbage of last year......its a new year...reasons to feel optimistic and good.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    please explain how he was a 3rd rate HC?
    You're right, he wasn't a third rate coach. Maybe 4th, or 5th. 41-57 before Brady. What part of that do you not get? In fact his last year in Cleavland he started 3-1, and then went 2-10 down the stretch. So that was after 5 years of experience, and rebuilding the team in his image. You have no leg to stand on here. The guy was a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post

Agreed.

I makes me sick watching the Football Life shows that suck BB's teet for being a detail oriented guy. As if the majority of coaches EVER haven't been type-A, control freaks? Having a way of doing things is nice, it gives structure to your work and can afford it varying degrees of success, but that is as far as it goes... having a Tom Brady is what makes you special. Not the other way around.

All Pro

It wasn't clear, but implied that a good OC would have made the QBing better. It's not only the HC that's important. Add to that a proper GM which may be just as important as coaching in the NFL. Considering the ineptitude at GM, and OC, Rex has done a great job just remaining competitive. He's just not a good personnel guy. That includes picking the offensive coaches. Rex has realized this , and in interviews Rex has clearly deferred to Idzik in all personnel matters. It sounds like he had deferred to Tanny as well, although it was not as clear. Idzik seems like he has a plan and is sticking to it. Rex is still trying to learn how to give an interview with Idzik's new rules. You can tell he's thinking a lot about what he should say. These are all good signs for the future.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Gary Stevens said it best . You can't make chicken salad out of Chicken sh-t . I don't care what coach your talking about you're probably only as good as the talent you have around you. See Jimmy Johnson early cowboy years.

If your statement was even remotely true than Johnson wouldn't have had the record he had his first couple of years with Cowboys.

The Great Bill Parcells how many coaching jobs did he leave at the right time. ( Stuck it to ray Handley by leaving an aging roster + knew the run was over) You think that was by accident or coincidence when Bill Parcells decided to semi retire.
    The Great Bill Bellichick didn't want to coach the jets but rather the Patriots who had more talent he perceived.
    They didn't have more talent than us. They were 5-13 under Belicheck until Bledsoe got hurt. Oh yeah, and genius little Bill signed Bledsoe to a 10 year extension after that 5-11 first season, so so much for him knowing that Brady was going to be a great QB.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 03-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.

You need enough talent AND the proper coaching. Last season the Jets had neither. You need a Qb that can complete the pass when it's there and make a few plays when it's not there. You need a RBI that has the potential to take it to the house if everything else in the play is perfect. You need a line that can pass and run block efficiently and you need an o coordinator that constructs the proper plays and game plan to win. Same with the defense. A lot has to be right in order for everything to fall into place properly. I think the Jets now have the coaches in place. We have our head coach/d coord in Rex and we have Marty for the O. If we can get some players we could have a team here.