Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

Take it and run before they change their mind

If true, get on dat.

All Pro
    HOLY SHEEEITTT.

Take that deal and put the cash in the bank.

Take this deal NOW, Idzik.

Veteran
    I don't want to see Revis go but this may be the only chance of solidifying the best QB in next years draft. After all, isn't that what we are working towards right now.

All Pro
    Future picks are typically valued one round lower. Essentially, the Jets would be trading Revis for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not terrible, but not great either.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Jets should also get a 3rd this year.

I'd do this.

But I'd first ask for a second this year, a first next year and a conditional second next year if Revis hits certain performance goals that prove he's healthy (starts 14 games, makes Pro Bowl, whatever.)

They should do this TODAY. Stop screwing around and playing chicken, we are not keeping him and a $9 million cap hit in 2014 is unacceptable. I think Rex is the hold up here. If the Jets make this deal it let's Rex know he is gone. And they may be reluctant to wake that particular dragon. Woody screwed up by insisting Rex stay.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The Jets should also get a 3rd this year.
    Agreed.

GET. IT. DONE.

By GM standards, a 2014 1st/2nd is worth a 2013 2nd/3rd. Let's just keep that in mind.

I generally agree with that premise, but it all gets thrown out the window when there is a strong chance we will be selecting a QB high in next year's draft. Take the ammunition for next year and dedicate this year to patching some other holes (i.e. G, RB, TE, S, OLB). Then when we do draft the potential franchise QB in 2014, we'll have adequate pieces in place.

I've said it numerous times on this board before, but we are in the exact same position the Redskins were headed into the 2011 draft. Unfortunately for us, there won't be an RGIII on the horizon the following year, but we definitely have a chance of getting a future above-average starting QB in 2014.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    They should do this TODAY. Stop screwing around and playing chicken, we are not keeping him and a $9 million cap hit in 2014 is unacceptable. I think Rex is the hold up here. If the Jets make this deal it let's Rex know he is gone. And they may be reluctant to wake that particular dragon. Woody screwed up by insisting Rex stay.
    Rex could go at anytime if Woody wants to pay his contract..

2 firsts and 2 seconds next season would be very, very nice. Especially since the Jets' picks might be pretty high and the Bucs' in the middle of the pack.

And that logic King used with Barkley is true -- look at the Browns. Take Weeden in Rd 1 last season, new coach/regime this season and now he isn't a lock to be the starter. Could be dangerous/waste of a pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    2 firsts and 2 seconds next season would be very, very nice. Especially since the Jets' picks might be pretty high and the Bucs' in the middle of the pack.

And that logic King used with Barkley is true -- look at the Browns. Take Weeden in Rd 1 last season, new coach/regime this season and now he isn't a lock to be the starter. Could be dangerous/waste of a pick.
    In fact, the source said, if the Jets are willing to take both picks in 2014, Tampa Bay would likely deal its first- and second-round picks for Revis

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2OCLLZc2y

What article are you guys reading....It's more bull**** by unnamed sources.

If this goes through, I will root harder for the Bucs to suck than for the Jets to do well.

JOHNNY FOOTBALL BABY!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You guys can believe Peter King all you want

Since when has he been right on the Revis front?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Double post, sorry.

The key here is, if true, that the Bucs are willing to pay Revis $15mm per year. If that's the case then they shouldn't think twice about this deal.

I was hoping they might be able to keep him at 11mm a year, but if that's not the case then 2 one and 2 twos would be great next year.

As for - in GM world next years picks are less valuable, but with the Jets in a rebuilding year this year it shouldn't really matter if they come next year.

Hall Of Fame
    One thing to keep in mind regarding the compensation coming in 2014, it is only perceived to be lower value before the draft this year, so if the Jets were to trade Revis after the draft but before training camp would you feel different?

I'll take the higher compensation in 2014, combine that with a ton of cap room, and the Jets will be in very good shape.