Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Yes, he was hired to fix the team, but he also has a responsibility to fill out the roster this season. There are holes all over the roster, there is relatively little cap room, and there are a limited number of draft picks to use next month. The problem is going to become even worse by trading away another starter (an all-pro) without any type of return for filling the hole this year.
    what if woody is telling idzik to trade revis, and idzik is deciding between two deals: 1) a first and second next year, or 2) a second and fourth this year.

which deal do you take, as compensation for the nfl's best cornerback?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get it done izzy, great player but this could set us up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a few picks for this year also as the 1st and 2nd next year could be late round picks. I'd say yes to 2013 4th and 5th plus 2014 1st and 2nd. This at least gives us few more young developing player to go to TC with.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    what if woody is telling idzik to trade revis, and idzik is deciding between two deals: 1) a first and second next year, or 2) a second and fourth this year.

which deal do you take, as compensation for the nfl's best cornerback?
    I would prefer the first deal, but probably wouldn't take either of them. If Woody was pushing as hard as it's being portrayed, Revis would have been traded a couple of weeks ago.

A 2014 1st and 2nd round pick is pretty good. If I was Idzik, I would push for an additional 2013 2nd round pick and settle for a 3rd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer the first deal, but probably wouldn't take either of them. If Woody was pushing as hard as it's being portrayed, Revis would have been traded a couple of weeks ago.

A 2014 1st and 2nd round pick is pretty good. If I was Idzik, I would push for an additional 2013 2nd round pick and settle for a 3rd.
    even if it became a 2013 4th or so. that pick could yield a starting OG or TE. idzik also must realize that while there's no guarantees about the qbs in next year's draft, there doesn't appear to be any quick fixes this year either. the issue is of course rooting against tampa all year, as they'll have their picks this year along with revis and could wind up picking in the 20s rather than at 13. and i think that's what's holding it all up from TB's end.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, he was hired to fix the team, but he also has a responsibility to fill out the roster this season. There are holes all over the roster, there is relatively little cap room, and there are a limited number of draft picks to use next month. The problem is going to become even worse by trading away another starter (an all-pro) without any type of return for filling the hole this year.
    Yes, but many of those holes could be filled with low priced free-agents as much as they could be by rookies.

Especially in a rebuilding year, this is the ideal year to do a deal like this.
    Worst case scenario, we get better draft postion in next year.

Come April 2014 no one will be complaining about this deal!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is true then it would be negligent not to take the deal. Unless Revis agrees to a ridiculously cheap contract.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look at it this way. If this deal gets done, Idzik is running the team. If the deal doesn't get done, Rex is running the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If this is true then it would be negligent not to take the deal. Unless Revis agrees to a ridiculously cheap contract.
    Exactly. All the people saying no to this. I would ask you, think of it the other way around.

All things being equal and the Jets were ready to give up next years 1st and 2nd for the right to pay Revis $15mm per year.

How would you feel about it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    even if it became a 2013 4th or so. that pick could yield a starting OG or TE. idzik also must realize that while there's no guarantees about the qbs in next year's draft, there doesn't appear to be any quick fixes this year either. the issue is of course rooting against tampa all year, as they'll have their picks this year along with revis and could wind up picking in the 20s rather than at 13. and i think that's what's holding it all up from TB's end.
    Fair enough.

As SMC mentioned, what's the point of executing this trade now if all they get are picks next year? They might as well wait it out and hope that Revis' value goes up when he can prove he's healthy.

The only reason to pull off a trade now is if they get an offer they can't refuse and/or the offer contains picks in next month's draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough.

As SMC mentioned, what's the point of executing this trade now if all they get are picks next year? They might as well wait it out and hope that Revis' value goes up when he can prove he's healthy.

The only reason to pull off a trade now is if they get an offer they can't refuse and/or the offer contains picks in next month's draft.
    but what if he proves he's not as healthy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough.

plus if the bucs interest is genuine, it's in the bucs interest to do it now, before another team expresses interest. you're right, idzik is in no rush to do a deal for 2014 picks since, he may as well hold out a few more weeks and see if he can get picks this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Yes, but many of those holes could be filled with low priced free-agents as much as they could be by rookies.
    Trading Revis will decrease cap space by an additional three million this year AND create another hole in the roster.

I'm all for trading Revis, but the value has to be right and the Jets have to be smart. In my opinion, the Jets need to get at least one 2013 pick out of the trade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    but what if he proves he's not as healthy?
    It's a risk no doubt, but I like the odds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading Revis will decrease cap space by an additional three million this year AND create another hole in the roster.

I'm all for trading Revis, but the value has to be right and the Jets have to be smart. In my opinion, the Jets need to get at least one 2013 pick out of the trade.
    sounds right. unless tampa gives us their first 3 picks in next year's draft. if that is somehow offered i hope idzik takes that and doesn't look back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me preface this by saying that nothing is guaranteed. BUT... If we needed to move up for a QB next year this would give us a very good chance of doing that. Or if we take a QB this year dare I say we could make a play for Clowney. I understand we would need to find a willing partner that already has a QB and that would be a unique situation, but still it gives us a very good chance if there is a deal that can be made.

Then there is the ultimate jackpot. We get the Bucs 1st and 2nd and we both suck this year and we end up with 2 Top 10 picks and 4 Top 40 picks.

Things could get better in a hurry.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a risk no doubt, but I like the odds.
    I think all of your points are valid, but isn't a huge risk to play this game?

At some point Tampa will move on, if the news is true (and it very well may not be) that there is no other real bidder for Revis - isn't it the prudent decision to take this deal and be happy?

I understand we might get more, but we also might get less. a 1st and 2nd next year seems like a nice package.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank god know-it-all fans dont run the team...Revis will retire as the greatest Jet ever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The key here is, if true, that the Bucs are willing to pay Revis $15mm per year. If that's the case then they shouldn't think twice about this deal.

I was hoping they might be able to keep him at 11mm a year, but if that's not the case then 2 one and 2 twos would be great next year.

As for - in GM world next years picks are less valuable, but with the Jets in a rebuilding year this year it shouldn't really matter if they come next year.
    All I read was that the Bucs were "willing" to pay in the region of $12 - $13m ... in that case I'd be OK with us looking to resign him for a similar amount.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think all of your points are valid, but isn't a huge risk to play this game?

At some point Tampa will move on, if the news is true (and it very well may not be) that there is no other real bidder for Revis - isn't it the prudent decision to take this deal and be happy?

I understand we might get more, but we also might get less. a 1st and 2nd next year seems like a nice package.
    Exactly, Tampa is going to want to know going into the draft THIS year if they need a CB. The notion that the Jets have all the time in the world and can deal him at their leisure is crazy. Plus, once the draft is over this year, the value of those 2014 draft picks goes up and Tampa may not be as willing to deal them.