Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 265

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    why would they? they would be negoiating against themselves.. There is no other serious team, they dont have to raise there offer.. Im surprised they want revis at all, seems they arent a team ready to compete for a championship..when draft day comes they can use the 13th pick and probably grab a pretty good corner. wont be as good as Revis but a LOT cheaper and wont cost extra draft picks.. Too bad more teams arent in it now.. Denver and SF can win a superbowl next year with revis..
    You're "negotiating against yourself" when you offer a FA more money than he would have gotten anywhere else anyway. That's not the case here, as the Jets don't have to trade him at all (unless you believe that's a foregone conclusion).

    I'm still holding out hope that we either bring in a haul (which the current offer doesn't qualify as) or we keep him to a "reasonable" long-term contract. As soon as that's no longer a possibility, I agree to get what you can and run . . .

  2. #162
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,386
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    If this is true about the Bucs, then the deal should be as follows:

    2013 -- 3rd Rounder
    2014 -- 1st Rounder
    2014 -- 2nd Rounder

    Anything less would be a bad trade for the Jets. They need these 3 extra picks to help rebuild their roster and they can't walk away with no help from the 2013 draft in making the trade.

    Also, this rumor is likely coming from the Bucs side. If its reported that they're willing to give up a 1st and a 2nd in 2014 it means that they're willing to give up more.
    Good post. I'll happily defer the big payment until next year in the form of the Bucs' #1 and #2. But they need to sweeten the pot with something this year - at least a 3rd rounder, preferably a 3rd plus a late pick too.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    You're "negotiating against yourself" when you offer a FA more money than he would have gotten anywhere else anyway. That's not the case here, as the Jets don't have to trade him at all (unless you believe that's a foregone conclusion).

    I'm still holding out hope that we either bring in a haul (which the current offer doesn't qualify as) or we keep him to a "reasonable" long-term contract. As soon as that's no longer a possibility, I agree to get what you can and run . . .
    If the Bucs are really offering him 15mm per year - that is not a reasonable price. Which means trading him is a forgone conclusion and the Jets, Bucs and Revis know that.

    This is a good deal and we should jump on it.
    Last edited by fidelioion; 03-22-2013 at 06:53 AM.

  4. #164
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    why would they? they would be negoiating against themselves.. There is no other serious team, they dont have to raise there offer.. Im surprised they want revis at all, seems they arent a team ready to compete for a championship..when draft day comes they can use the 13th pick and probably grab a pretty good corner. wont be as good as Revis but a LOT cheaper and wont cost extra draft picks.. Too bad more teams arent in it now.. Denver and SF can win a superbowl next year with revis..
    Why? Because then the Bucs miss out on the player. That 13th pick is a rookie, not an All Pro. You cant compare. The Bucs have an opportunity to get the player. Without the trade they risk losing him to someone else.

  5. #165
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    darn good point and thats why I strongly feel that the bucs will make the trade before the upcoming draft...its almost a no brainer if you think of it.



    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Why? Because then the Bucs miss out on the player. That 13th pick is a rookie, not an All Pro. You cant compare. The Bucs have an opportunity to get the player. Without the trade they risk losing him to someone else.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    darn good point and thats why I strongly feel that the bucs will make the trade before the upcoming draft...its almost a no brainer if you think of it.
    The problem is the Bucs may have weighed their options and drew a line in the sand - that the most their willing to give up is a 1st and 2nd in 2014.

    That's a lot to give up for the right to pay a CB $15mm a year (clearly the Jets don't believe he's worth it - without giving up high draft choices)

    The fact that someone is willing to give that much up is surprising and we should jump on it.

  7. #167
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    true....I guess we will know pretty soon.


    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The problem is the Bucs may have weighed their options and drew a line in the sand - that the most their willing to give up is a 1st and 2nd in 2014.

    That's a lot to give up for the right to pay a CB $15mm a year (clearly the Jets don't believe he's worth it - without giving up high draft choices)

    The fact that someone is willing to give that much up is surprising and we should jump on it.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    mainejet, Keyshawn wasn't coming off an ACL and going to cost the Bucs 12-15 million.
    TRUE in regards to the injury status and that is a good point. I forgot about that.

    But 12 to 15 million is just a sign of the times. Keyshawn wanted top dollar also and he got it from the Bucs. I can't remember what he got at the time, it's been long time, but I'm sure that contract was also outrageous.

  9. #169
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    darn good point and thats why I strongly feel that the bucs will make the trade before the upcoming draft...its almost a no brainer if you think of it.
    Whatever it is, a no brainer its not. The guy is coming off an ACL injury, is unable to perform football activities, is only signed for one year and is known to be looking for a contract that far exceeds what a reasonable person would give him. And, the team that has his rights is looking for a first round pick PLUS another significant pick.

    How is that a no brainer?

    I'm glad Idzik is holding out a bit. But, if the Jets are set on trading him (and I'm not 100% convinced Revis doesn't come back), they risk alienating the one true trade partner they have. If that turns out to be the case, they may well end up with trading Revis for a 3rd round pick in September, which would be a disaster.

  10. #170
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The problem is the Bucs may have weighed their options and drew a line in the sand - that the most their willing to give up is a 1st and 2nd in 2014.
    The problem with this thinking is that if in fact the Bucs drew that line in the sand at a 1st and 2nd in 2014, then the media would be reporting that the Bucs are only willing to give up a 2014 1st rounder.

    A team doesn't leak to the media their bottom line. They leak LESS than what they are willing to give up and hide their bottom line because that allows them to maneuver in negotiations.

    Again, if the Bucs are leaking that it's a 2014 1st & 2nd, then they're willing to give up more.

  11. #171
    I think the issue is with the accelerated 2013 cap hit if we trade Revis before June 1st. I heard it's in the neighborhood of $13M. Obviously we can't sign more FAs and our rookies if we make the trade before the 2013 draft without restructuring more contracts. Maybe Idzik wants to just wait it out, especially if we are already talking 2014 picks from the Bucs. Maybe someone else will jump into the fold as well.

  12. #172
    How do we know that these arn't conditional picks based on performance. Yea it might be a 1st and 2nd in 2014.

  13. #173
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    TRUE in regards to the injury status and that is a good point. I forgot about that.

    But 12 to 15 million is just a sign of the times. Keyshawn wanted top dollar also and he got it from the Bucs. I can't remember what he got at the time, it's been long time, but I'm sure that contract was also outrageous.
    Here you go MJ.. http://celebnetworth.org/keyshawn-jo...t-worth-salary

  14. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I think the issue is with the accelerated 2013 cap hit if we trade Revis before June 1st. I heard it's in the neighborhood of $13M. Obviously we can't sign more FAs and our rookies if we make the trade before the 2013 draft without restructuring more contracts. Maybe Idzik wants to just wait it out, especially if we are already talking 2014 picks from the Bucs. Maybe someone else will jump into the fold as well.
    If we trade him before June 1st it will be an additional $4 million cap hit this year.

  15. #175
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    If we trade him before June 1st it will be an additional $4 million cap hit this year.
    I think trading him before June, 1 is imperative so all the money hits this year. I would hate to have that 9 million dollar hit in 2014 as well.

  16. #176
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The problem with this thinking is that if in fact the Bucs drew that line in the sand at a 1st and 2nd in 2014, then the media would be reporting that the Bucs are only willing to give up a 2014 1st rounder.

    A team doesn't leak to the media their bottom line. They leak LESS than what they are willing to give up and hide their bottom line because that allows them to maneuver in negotiations.

    Again, if the Bucs are leaking that it's a 2014 1st & 2nd, then they're willing to give up more.
    You're making a lot of assumptions here. You're assuming that the Bucs have purposefully leaked the 2014 1st & 2nd offer. That may not be true. That may be conjecture from someone based on incomplete information that was garnered from a conversation with another guy who is not fully in the loop but wants someone to think that he is.

    Bottom line - we have no idea what the real situation is. At one point, it was pretty much a lock that Revis was going to the 49ers and for less than a 1st rounder.

  17. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think trading him before June, 1 is imperative so all the money hits this year. I would hate to have that 9 million dollar hit in 2014 as well.
    I agree. I don't think they can afford to wait until after the draft. I wouldn't mind a mid round pick this year and 2 early picks next year if that's all we could get but I would rather have the early pick this year. I have a feeling that the Jets will push for the 1st round pick this year though. And I say that b/c they know that they don't have a lot of money to fill holes this year and the 13th pick is basically a starter and another hole filled. They also know next year they have a lot more money to fill holes through FA so the extra pick isn't as important.

    I know that people want the 1st round pick next year in order to have the ability to trade up and get a QB if there is one there but ultimately the Jets will have to give up something similar to what the Redskins gave up to move up to get RGIII. Which means swapping 1st round picks in 2014 plus giving up 1st round picks in 2015 and 2016 and an additional 2nd round pick in 2016. I'm pretty sure the Jets won't be drafting #1 or #2, more then likely it will be 5-10. The extra 1st rounder that the Bucs could give us in 2014 most likely will be 15 or lower and really in the grand scheme of things us having that extra pick won't make it more or less likely for us to trade up. It's not as important as people may believe. I think it's more important to have a better team in place prior to us getting the QB we want and an additional 1st round pick this year will help do that.

  18. #178
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Not trading creates $9 million deap cap in 2014. Much worse.
    According to nyjetscap.com, there is $9 million dead money cap hit in 2014 if Revis is cut. Revis' contract is structured very untraditionally so I'm not sure how it would count against the cap if he decides to void the contract and become a FA. In terms of the cap, is that the same as being cut?

    In any case, you make a good point, and it should be taken into consideration. Assuming your assertion is correct, you should keep in mind that trading Revis this year results in an extra $3 million cap hit so the net effect would $6 million instead of $9 million.

  19. #179
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,125
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    According to nyjetscap.com, there is $9 million dead money cap hit in 2014 if Revis is cut. Revis' contract is structured very untraditionally so I'm not sure how it would count against the cap if he decides to void the contract and become a FA. In terms of the cap, is that the same as being cut?

    In any case, you make a good point, and it should be taken into consideration. Assuming your assertion is correct, you should keep in mind that trading Revis this year results in an extra $3 million cap hit so the net effect would $6 million instead of $9 million.
    The money hits the cap no matter what, it was signing bonus money that was already paid out and needs to be accounted for once Revis leaves the team. Revis already received a 1 million dollar bonus on March 17th, thus making his total cap hit if traded RIGHT NOW, 13 million dollars, an increase of 4 million over his scheduled 9 million. His next bonus is due after OTAs and if traded after work outs and BEFORE June 1, his cap hit would be 14 million dollars, an increase of 5 million dollars over his scheduled 9 million dollar number. So if a deal is going to be made it would be in the Jets best interest to do it before the draft.

  20. #180
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You're making a lot of assumptions here. You're assuming that the Bucs have purposefully leaked the 2014 1st & 2nd offer. That may not be true. That may be conjecture from someone based on incomplete information that was garnered from a conversation with another guy who is not fully in the loop but wants someone to think that he is.

    Bottom line - we have no idea what the real situation is. At one point, it was pretty much a lock that Revis was going to the 49ers and for less than a 1st rounder.
    Well, we know that the info isn't coming from the Jets. Someone on the Bucs' side is talking to King, he alludes to as much.

    And, these are reports and rumors. We never know the real situation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us