Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's true that TB will give up a 1st and 2nd in '14, Idzik has to take it.

ATL will win that division. Carolina and New Orleans both will be better next year. TB may finish last in that division WITH Revis. Idzik is supposedly willing to take 2014 compensation. TB's pick will be a mid 1st rd pick or better. Accompany that with our projected top ten pick next year(cuz the jets will be awful) and we will have the picks to move into position to get a QB in '14. If the Jets are as bad as everyone thinks they are going to be, we may already be in position to draft a Bridgewater or Manziel.

#pleasedontbuttfumblethistradeidzik

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about 2nd round pick this year and 1st and 3rd next year.
    Do it Idzik.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Do it Idzik.
    the compromise may ultimately be a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. and maybe, they can squeeze another pick from them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Do it Idzik.
    I think this is the sticking point with Idzik. This years draft might not have a franchise QB, but because so many underclassman came out, it is LOADED with talent in the 1st 3 rounds.
    Sure, a 1 &2 next year is great bank but we may be talking about an extra pick this year that could be a solid guard, safety or a very good WR.

I'm sure the Jets have already started putting together their board & there may be positions of need that they see as a steal if they had another pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the compromise may ultimately be a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. and maybe, they can squeeze another pick from them.
    If they gave a 3rd this year along with a 1 and 2 next year, I would be thrilled with that. Having 4 picks in the first two rounds in 2014 will be valuable. Who knows, they could even pick up more picks in 2014 from trading down this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always thought a 1st, 2nd and 4th this year would be enough to seriously consider it. The 1st and 2nd could be split between this year and next or even both next year but I want at least one more mid round choice this year.

4th this year, 1st and 2nd next year would be good enough, but I would still do it very grudgingly. Despite the fact we had a fine pass defense last year I don't think Cromartie is going to be as consistently good as he was last year and wilson will not be consistently lucky as he was last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If they gave a 3rd this year along with a 1 and 2 next year, I would be thrilled with that. Having 4 picks in the first two rounds in 2014 will be valuable. Who knows, they could even pick up more picks in 2014 from trading down this year.
    i'm guessing that if they added another pick it would be a 5th or so. the jets may have to take that deal in the end, and it's a pretty good one.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screw Tampa Bay. Idak is in control and is not going to be forced into a deal. I don't think any team will meet his projected value. The market has changed and it may be possible to sign Revis for a number that Idak can live with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm guessing that if they added another pick it would be a 5th or so. the jets may have to take that deal in the end, and it's a pretty good one.
    I agree, come 2014 people will not be complaining when the Jets have 4 picks in the top 50 or so.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Future picks are typically valued one round lower. Essentially, the Jets would be trading Revis for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not terrible, but not great either.
    If that's true then I'd trade our 2nd-7th for the 1st-6th with the Raiders right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If all the Jets are getting is 2014 picks from the Bucs, then the Jets should wait until after June 1 to make the deal. That way they can spread the cap hit.

The only thing pushing the Jets is if they want a 2013 pick. If they're not getting it they can wait.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, come 2014 people will not be complaining when the Jets have 4 picks in the top 50 or so.
    i understand that picks in the next year's draft are valued as 1 round less. but idzik was hired to fix a bad situation, he understands his job is safe and that if he can kick butt in next year's draft, he'll be regarded as one heck of a gm. it doesn't help this year but the team has so many holes that he really can't draft a 'wrong' position. i just wish they'd add a playmaker somewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If that's true then I'd trade our 2nd-7th for the 1st-6th with the Raiders right now.

EDIT: nevermind, I got it.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 03-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ???? Why would the Raiders ever consider that?
    because next years picks are worth 1 round less of course. The Jets will be the worst team next year right? The Raiders should win the SB, right 90210? So no brainer.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Future picks are typically valued one round lower. Essentially, the Jets would be trading Revis for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Not terrible, but not great either.
    That's an excellent point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    That's an excellent point.
    true, but in this case, idzik has been hired to fix the team. if the team gets fixed more in 2014 than in 2013, i think most of us would be ok with this. having at least 4 picks in the first two rounds next year sets them up nicely. they'd also shed more cap space when holmes and sanchez go. and they still have all their picks this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would ask for the first pick next year in hopes of trading up for a QB and the 2nd and 3rd pick this year, where there is good value. Am I too greedy?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get the 1 year delay concept in terms of immediate gratification but never could quite grasp the concept a 1st rounder losing value because it's a year delayed?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    true, but in this case, idzik has been hired to fix the team. if the team gets fixed more in 2014 than in 2013, i think most of us would be ok with this. having at least 4 picks in the first two rounds next year sets them up nicely. they'd also shed more cap space when holmes and sanchez go. and they still have all their picks this year.
    Yes, he was hired to fix the team, but he also has a responsibility to fill out the roster this season. There are holes all over the roster, there is relatively little cap room, and there are a limited number of draft picks to use next month. The problem is going to become even worse by trading away another starter (an all-pro) without any type of return for filling the hole this year.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    What hogwash.
    $13 million cap hit to Jets on Revis
    No players till 2014
    Bucs defer payment and get best CB in 2013

How about redo Revis contract on condition of a deal as to offeset as much of the $13 cap hit.
    Throw in TE crabtree as well