Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King - Jets can get 2014 1st/2nd rounders from Bucs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Nicely found, for a little more context:

Salary Cap by season

2000 $62.172 million
    2001 $67.405 million
    2002 $71.101 million
    2003 $75.007 million

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Well, we know that the info isn't coming from the Jets. Someone on the Bucs' side is talking to King, he alludes to as much.

And, these are reports and rumors. We never know the real situation.
    True, the good thing though is that Tampa ownership seems to be what is driving this possible trade. When ownership wants something it usually gets done and in the end they usually get antsy and end up overpaying. Idzik is playing this great right now, he is waiting them out and seeing if they panic and overpay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, the good thing though is that Tampa ownership seems to be what is driving this possible trade. When ownership wants something it usually gets done and in the end they usually get antsy and end up overpaying. Idzik is playing this great right now, he is waiting them out and seeing if they panic and overpay.
    not only that, there's always a chance another team enters the bidding. now that it's been rumored that tampa allegedly won't part with a 2013 pick, another team may tempt the jets with a 2013 pick or picks, which may be more appealing. if SF offered a pair of 2nds that would likely be more appealing than what tampa is offering next year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    not only that, there's always a chance another team enters the bidding. now that it's been rumored that tampa allegedly won't part with a 2013 pick, another team may tempt the jets with a 2013 pick or picks, which may be more appealing. if SF offered a pair of 2nds that would likely be more appealing than what tampa is offering next year.
    You'd take 2nds this year from SF over a 1st and 2nd next year from the Bucs? I wouldnt!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    You'd take 2nds this year from SF over a 1st and 2nd next year from the Bucs? I wouldnt!
    Me either. The reason being is that I want the new coach to have as much ammo as possible to get the players he wants to fit his system. Four picks in the top 50 or so selections and around 30 million cap room would be very attractive to a new HC taking over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    if the 2nd is the KC pick, based on value it's close.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    The draft isn't til May which means the Jets are in no rush. Thus, there are opportunities for other teams to get involved. It only takes a phone call, text, or email to start things rolling.

As to SF's 2nd (KC's), that isn't better than Tampa's 2014 1st. It's about the same for present value purposes.

The Jets need multiple picks and have them spread over 2 drafts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The draft isn't til May which means the Jets are in no rush.
    Not to be petty but for the record, it starts April 25th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Nicely found, for a little more context:

Salary Cap by season

2000 $62.172 million
    2001 $67.405 million
    2002 $71.101 million
    2003 $75.007 million
    lol 62 mil those where the days. Can you imagine paying Sanchez 15 mil for a year if the cap was that now. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The draft isn't til May which means the Jets are in no rush. Thus, there are opportunities for other teams to get involved. It only takes a phone call, text, or email to start things rolling.

As to SF's 2nd (KC's), that isn't better than Tampa's 2014 1st. It's about the same for present value purposes.

The Jets need multiple picks and have them spread over 2 drafts.
    If Tampa offered their 3rd round this year (pick 73, the Jets currently pick at 72 in the third), their first and second in 2014, I would sign that deal in a second. When push comes to shove I think Tampa will give up the 3rd, their owners want Revis and they will not let a 3rd round pick prevent them from getting him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Tampa offered their 3rd round this year (pick 73, the Jets currently pick at 72 in the third), their first and second in 2014, I would sign that deal in a second. When push comes to shove I think Tampa will give up the 3rd, their owners want Revis and they will not let a 3rd round pick prevent them from getting him.
    This.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tampa Bay was 13th in overall offense last season, which is pretty good, but they were DEAD LAST IN PASS DEFENSE. If Revis can help them become at least a middle of the pack defense and their offense can move up a few spots to Top Ten, they will be a force in the playoffs next season.

The Bucs need to make this move. The Jets need to make this move. There is nothing to think about. Nothing to consider. This helps both teams quite a bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know I believe this lends credence to us resigning him. It's not as far fetched as some here make it out to be.

Keyshawn Johnson, at that time, wasn't even the best WR in football. Randy Moss had been in the league for a few seasons.

KJ got a contract from the Bucs that comprised 11% and change of their salary cap for that day and age.

Revis is looking for approximately 15 million or thereabouts. That would comprise 12% and change of the current 123 million dollar salary cap. meanwhile, Revis is clearly the best CB in football today, not even close.

What's more is the Bucs won the SB in 2002 with Keyshawn and his 56 million dollar contract.

So for some people to say if Revis gets what he wants, we'll never be able to pay others and win the SB. I call bullsh*t. The Bucs did it with a money grubbing diva on their team.

So WHY can't we do the same?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You know I believe this lends credence to us resigning him. It's not as far fetched as some here make it out to be.

Keyshawn Johnson, at that time, wasn't even the best WR in football. Randy Moss had been in the league for a few seasons.

KJ got a contract from the Bucs that comprised 11% and change of their salary cap for that day and age.

Revis is looking for approximately 15 million or thereabouts. That would comprise 12% and change of the current 123 million dollar salary cap. meanwhile, Revis is clearly the best CB in football today, not even close.

What's more is the Bucs won the SB in 2002 with Keyshawn and his 56 million dollar contract.

So for some people to say if Revis gets what he wants, we'll never be able to pay others and win the SB. I call bullsh*t. The Bucs did it with a money grubbing diva on their team.

So WHY can't we do the same?
    Well the problem is that it is assumed that Revis is asking for way more than 56 million. If all Revis wanted was 56 million I think he would have been re-signed by now......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing in Revis to help your defense is like bringing in Peyton Manning to help your offense. How did that work out for the Broncos last season? The Bucs have a rare chance to sign a hall of fame CB for a couple of draft picks? What is there to think about??? Get the deal done!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's your best QB-WR combo worth in today's pass oriented NFL? Ten to Fourteen points a game maybe? Revis immediately takes that away from the offense... He automatically puts the offense in a 10 to 14 point hole from the very start of the game. Those are real yards and touchdowns you are not going to hook up with your best WR for.

What is that worth in todays game? How many teams missed the playoffs or lost a playoff game by less than 10 to 14 points? If the Broncos had Revis last season they probably win the Superbowl. That's how much difference he makes.

The Bucs have an extremely rare opportunity here, they need to make this happen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doubt they give up a 3rd too.. Especially without another team matching their offer, no other team has made a serious offer.. I think if another team did come in, it would be a better team than Tampa.. That team's 1st and 2nd next year won't be as valuable as the bucks, who can't see winning more than 9 games.. Then it comes down to is that team willing to pay revis more? He won't sign off on the extension to X team if he knows Tampa deal is better.. Have to also be careful, if X team comes in and offers the jets less value in picks than Tampa, but better deal for revis, he can say " I'm only signing extension with team X" izdik is def showing he has a pair, with a sh!t hand in dangerous game..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Doubt they give up a 3rd too.. Especially without another team matching their offer, no other team has made a serious offer.. I think if another team did come in, it would be a better team than Tampa.. That team's 1st and 2nd next year won't be as valuable as the bucks, who can't see winning more than 9 games.. Then it comes down to is that team willing to pay revis more? He won't sign off on the extension to X team if he knows Tampa deal is better.. Have to also be careful, if X team comes in and offers the jets less value in picks than Tampa, but better deal for revis, he can say " I'm only signing extension with team X" izdik is def showing he has a pair, with a sh!t hand in dangerous game..
    it's very tough for idzik to give revis to a team, only get 2014 picks, and have revis make those picks worse as he makes that team better. there must be some 2013 compensation in the deal, whether it's a 2nd this year, or a 5th or something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tis would be a no brainer ... Even a two this year and a one next year makes sense,