Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should Pick a QB next year not this year

Jets Insider VIP

Jets should Pick a QB next year not this year

Weak crop of college QBs this year so I think the jets should wait til next year and then draft a QB...My personal preference is my namesake
    JOHNNYJET...dont care for any of the guys this year.We should just build the O line and suck.....trade Revis for the 1 and 2 next year from Tampa and pray we are bad enough to finally get a true franchise QB. Thats my 2 cents. we are gonnna suck anyway so I hope we dont suck at sucking. Im sure we will mess it up though. I have little faith. Im a JET fan

This class might not have a blue chip prospect, but is deeper than next years.

Regarding Manziel, he was a freshman this year... He might not even declare for an NFL draft until 2016.

In addition, he's about as good an NFL prospect as Tebow right now.

I think there are some QB's this yr who can Ball.

Manuel - Would look Sweet in Green & White
    Bray - Would B Awesome pic up 4 jets
    Renfree - 6'4 225 lb SLEEPER!!!
    Landry Jones - Sounds like a Gunslinger in nfl! Would Luv on Jets

Jets better get 1 this yr and him battle it out.

Next yr I like

BOYD
    Bridgewater

All League
    Let's hedge our bets. Take one this year (2nd or 3rd round) and next year too. We have not had good luck picking QB's, so let's double our chances of getting a decent one.

For what it's worth Greg Cosell sees more than 3 QBs getting drafted in round 1 this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

Regarding Manziel, he was a freshman this year... He might not even declare for an NFL draft until 2016.

how many guys are you considering nfl ready now that no 1 ever heard of a year ago? ofcourse it appears deeper than next years, but just like this year more will fly up on radar.. next year will definately be better..

Veteran
    whats wrong with taking a QB every year till you hit?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Weak crop of college QBs this year so I think the jets should wait til next year and then draft a QB...My personal preference is my namesake
    JOHNNYJET...dont care for any of the guys this year.We should just build the O line and suck.....trade Revis for the 1 and 2 next year from Tampa and pray we are bad enough to finally get a true franchise QB. Thats my 2 cents. we are gonnna suck anyway so I hope we dont suck at sucking. Im sure we will mess it up though. I have little faith. Im a JET fan

You call yourself a Jetfan?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    whats wrong with taking a QB every year till you hit?
    I am in favor of this. Take one high one year and then take one late the next. If after two years you are unsure then you can take one high again. Two years is enough nowadays.

All Pro
    For what it's worth Greg Cosell sees more than 3 QBs getting drafted in round 1 this year...
    I'll bet Cosell his career that doesn't happen

All Pro
    I think his point was that every year we say maybe 1-2 guys could go in round 1 only to see 4 get selected... He sees this year being no different.

I think the new rookie salary scale is a huge factor too. You look at the browns, they took wheeden with the #22 pick last year and yet many see them possibly taking another qb in the first few rounds of this draft.

Missing on a qb doesn't set your team back like it once did, which ultimately means more teams taking chances on QBs in rd. 1.

The other factor is how much more important the qb position has become. It's always been important, but now with the new, favorable passing rules in place, having a good qb is a must.
    I understand the point you're making, and I don't disagree with it. If Weeden was in this year's draft, he would go in the first again.

I said that because I definitively, wholeheartedly, completely, utterly, and absolutely... do not feel there's even 2 QBs with even borderline rnd 1 talent. There's debately not even 2 QBs with round 2 grade talent.

The Jets should pick a QB every year until they find one, then keep picking them because a surplus of good QBs is how the rich get richer.

Draft a qb this yr bc Sanchez is coming off 2 sorry seasons. Makes no sense to draft a qb next yr if #6 plays good and takes jets to deep in playoffs again.. If Sanchez plays bad this yr , you will already have ur qb of the future on team learning the system.. That's what makes sense..

All Pro
    I think his point was that every year we say maybe 1-2 guys could go in round 1 only to see 4 get selected... He sees this year being no different.

I think the new rookie salary scale is a huge factor too. You look at the browns, they took wheeden with the #22 pick last year and yet many see them possibly taking another qb in the first few rounds of this draft.
    I understand the point you're making, and I don't disagree with it. If Weeden was in this year's draft, he would go in the first again. NFL teams will always roll the dice on fringe 1st rnd QBs...

I get that.

I said that because I definitively, wholeheartedly, completely, utterly, and absolutely... do not feel there's even 2 QBs with even borderline rnd 1 talent. There's debately not even 2 QBs with round 2 grade talent.

Draft one very year until on sticks

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Draft a qb this yr bc Sanchez is coming off 2 sorry seasons. Makes no sense to draft a qb next yr if #6 plays good and takes jets to deep in playoffs again.. If Sanchez plays bad this yr , you will already have ur qb of the future on team learning the system.. That's what makes sense..
    lol #6 never took us anywhere except to the cleaners.. We cant just pick any dope and plug him in as the future.. If they like a guy later in the rounds take him.. maybe he an surprise people or hang on as a 3 or even #2 Next year with all the picks we should have, and a better crop we should take 1 very early.. so maybe we take 1 both years..

It really is funny how fans are latching on to the younger "names" in college football and already writing their HOF NFL careers...

Sure, Manziel and Bridgewatter looked good last year, but their games are so immature, despite their raw abilities, and yes, some of that ability comes with extremely good potential, but it remains to be seen if they can sustain and become NFL players.

I also hate it when fans say "let's suck next year." That is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    [/B]

You call yourself a Jetfan?
    It's a damned disgrace

There will be someone this year that this team likes. I am very hopeful. Glennon and Geno are the only ones I'd take in the 1st but pretty much anyone else here is well worth a 2-3 rounder. Scott, Barkley, Nessib, Wilson or Drysert I think would all be late 1st-2 round guys in any draft. I remember people saying Flacco was not worth a 1st too. Really feel all these guy are in a similar boat. I will take the Jake Plummer, Rex Grossman, Patrick Ramsey, and Drew Bree's of the wold at this point. Just because no one thinks they can be franchise guys doesn't make it true. Some bust some dont that is always a risk in the draft. We need one we should take one. A team cant go 5-6 years without adding at least one potential man at QB and expect to find someone. EJ Manuel is the only one that really scares the poop out of me. I do like the 4-7s of this draft as well but your just not getting what we need there.