Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should Pick a QB next year not this year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    It really is funny how fans are latching on to the younger "names" in college football and already writing their HOF NFL careers...

Sure, Manziel and Bridgewatter looked good last year, but their games are so immature, despite their raw abilities, and yes, some of that ability comes with extremely good potential, but it remains to be seen if they can sustain and become NFL players.

I also hate it when fans say "let's suck next year." That is crap.
    +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'll bet Cosell his career that doesn't happen
    I think his point was that every year we say maybe 1-2 guys could go in round 1 only to see 4 get selected... He sees this year being no different.

I think the new rookie salary scale is a huge factor too. You look at the browns, they took wheeden with the #22 pick last year and yet many see them possibly taking another qb in the first few rounds of this draft.

Missing on a qb doesn't set your team back like it once did, which ultimately means more teams taking chances on QBs in rd. 1.

The other factor is how much more important the qb position has become. It's always been important, but now with the new, favorable passing rules in place, having a good qb is a must.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pick a QB you like this year - Manuel, Glennon, Nassib, Bray, Scott - who-ever.

If he doesn't wow, pick another one next year. It's the most important position on the team and, with the new rookie pay scales, you can keep drafting them (even in the 1st round) until you hit on one and without killing your cap.

But the idea of tanking a season before it has started in the hope of picking a guy who might, maybe come out in next year's draft is just ridiculous. Maybe he doesn't come out, maybe he gets picked by someone who sucks worse than we do, maybe he does a Brady Quinn or Matt Barkley and goes from a consensus #1 overall pick to a marginal round 1 talent a year later.

NFL teams can't and don't write off entire years in the offseason in the hope of maybe landing a supposed franchise saviour. It just doesn't work like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree....i say get one of this years qb's in round 4....no one can say that they are garbage....too many late round qb's have turned out good. I laugh at how everyone just assumes that the qbs in this draft are bad...the majority had stellar college careers but had a sub par senior year.....sorry but I can't pass judgement on one college season.I watch a ton of college ball and I more than know that these guys can ball.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Weak crop of college QBs this year so I think the jets should wait til next year and then draft a QB...My personal preference is my namesake
    JOHNNYJET...dont care for any of the guys this year.We should just build the O line and suck.....trade Revis for the 1 and 2 next year from Tampa and pray we are bad enough to finally get a true franchise QB. Thats my 2 cents. we are gonnna suck anyway so I hope we dont suck at sucking. Im sure we will mess it up though. I have little faith. Im a JET fan

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    was tom brady a first round talent.....please stop getting caught up with what the so called experts are saying...I go by the qbs overall body of work...not one sub par year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I understand the point you're making, and I don't disagree with it. If Weeden was in this year's draft, he would go in the first again.

I said that because I definitively, wholeheartedly, completely, utterly, and absolutely... do not feel there's even 2 QBs with even borderline rnd 1 talent. There's debately not even 2 QBs with round 2 grade talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO real fan would want their team to suck......as for manziel...i would not want him...people think his running around like crazy like tha will stick in the nfl...bridgewater is a much better prospect....this team is making alot of changes, but I still expect a team that will play hard and be competitive....even before the draft, I am liking what i am seeing on defense. I also love that Rex will be calling plays on defense.

It really is funny how fans are latching on to the younger "names" in college football and already writing their HOF NFL careers...

Sure, Manziel and Bridgewatter looked good last year, but their games are so immature, despite their raw abilities, and yes, some of that ability comes with extremely good potential, but it remains to be seen if they can sustain and become NFL players.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You homers are really something else? Serioulsy, you guys are worse than the Patsy trolls.

Nobody wants the Jets to suck. But when you look at reality its pretty easy to come up with the conclusion that the Jets are going to struggle next year.

Most people just say if we're going to win 4-7 games, well we'd rather just win 2.

I will root for the Jets to win games until they are mathmatically out of playoff contention. But lets not lose site of whats important. Most likely we are a bottom team next year, so based on what we know so far its not unrealistic to talk about next years picks. And its looking like we could have Tampa's pick next year as well. So the reality right now is, the Jets could be looking at one of the top QBs or even Clowney staring them right in the face.

JUST BECAUSE WE TALK ABOUT GETTING A TOP PICK NEXT YEAR DOES TO MEAN WE WANT THE JETS TO SUCK!!!! Want and reality are 2 different things. You want the Jets to win the SB next year but thats no realisitic either. Its about being realisitc and looking at what could be in the coming season or 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    well said....I don't understand the mindset of people saying we will suck when we are still in march and they are clueless to what the 2013 roster will look like....win or lose...i got my green and white on every sunday whooping it up at the sports bar.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    You homers are really something else? Serioulsy, you guys are worse than the Patsy trolls.

Nobody wants the Jets to suck. But when you look at reality its pretty easy to come up with the conclusion that the Jets are going to struggle next year.

Most people just say if we're going to win 4-7 games, well we'd rather just win 2.

I will root for the Jets to win games until they are mathmatically out of playoff contention. But lets not lose site of whats important. Most likely we are a bottom team next year, so based on what we know so far its not unrealistic to talk about next years picks. And its looking like we could have Tampa's pick next year as well. So the reality right now is, the Jets could be looking at one of the top QBs or even Clowney staring them right in the face.

JUST BECAUSE WE TALK ABOUT GETTING A TOP PICK NEXT YEAR DOES TO MEAN WE WANT THE JETS TO SUCK!!!! Want and reality are 2 different things. You want the Jets to win the SB next year but thats no realisitic either. Its about being realisitc and looking at what could be in the coming season or 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should draft a QB this year and next year. Until they get it right. I really like E.J. Manuel. If Manuel is there in the 3rd round (he won't be) it would be insanity to not draft him. I would consider drafting him in the 2nd round, perhaps trading down a little from pick 2.07 to get him. This is why I want Tampa's 1st next year but its second rounder this year. With a pair of 2d rounders, the Jets can and should use one of them for a QB. Period (IMHO ). Some mocks have Manuel going higher than 2.07. I like his size, his ability to make plays happen in the face of a pass rush. He doesn't panic (wouldn't that be nice to see for a change?). He is VERY Roethlisbergerish on the field. Years from now I think he will be considered a steal in the 2013 draft.

Forget Glennon and the USC kid.
    Last edited by Dcat; 03-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    For what it's worth Greg Cosell sees more than 3 QBs getting drafted in round 1 this year...
    I will say 2 min in round 1. Smith and Glennon IMO are round 1 locks. Glennon may not go top 10 but someone takes him bottom half. With all the Nessib and Manuel talks either one could go in the 1st as well. Buff could very well trade back into the 1st if they dont take Nessib with their 1st pick. Like Cleveland did with Quinn and Weeden. Oh then there is Cleveland. lol Oh and Barkley who is worth it but will put a lot of pressure on any GM this year. For teams like Dallas and Chi who may be looking for future guys I wouldnt count them out with 1st rounders. Nor SF picking at 31 with like 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. Manuel to SF in the bottom half wouldn't shock me. Really think if teams want a guy this year they will have to pick him early because so many teams will be looking at them with the new value on the rookie cap.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree, Ray.

People think we should tank the year because it worked for the Colts. The Colts tanked to get the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. In other words: as close to a sure thing as you're going to get. That's a once in 15 years type of player.

Bridgewater, Manziel, and the rest of them are not Andrew Luck. Tanking for one of those guys is as big of a gamble (arguably more of one) than taking Geno Smith at #9 this year. And I'm not a huge fan of Smith, mind you.

Imagine if this rebuild was happening a year ago, and the Jets would have tanked the 2012 season for Matt Barkley, who at the time was expected to be the #1 overall pick in this draft. How would that plan look right about now?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    good points....I can actually see a few qbs actually being taken in the 1st round.....even if some are late 1st rounders....with teams thinking about the future....the cowboys are a great example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I will say 2 min in round 1. Smith and Glennon IMO are round 1 locks. Glennon may not go top 10 but someone takes him bottom half. With all the Nessib and Manuel talks either one could go in the 1st as well. Buff could very well trade back into the 1st if they dont take Nessib with their 1st pick. Like Cleveland did with Quinn and Weeden. Oh then there is Cleveland. lol Oh and Barkley who is worth it but will put a lot of pressure on any GM this year. For teams like Dallas and Chi who may be looking for future guys I wouldnt count them out with 1st rounders. Nor SF picking at 31 with like 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. Manuel to SF in the bottom half wouldn't shock me. Really think if teams want a guy this year they will have to pick him early because so many teams will be looking at them with the new value on the rookie cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    At 2.09, Buffalo will draft either Nessib or Manuel, if one of them is still there. I wouldn't doubt that the Bills will trade up if there is an unexpected late 1st round run on what should be a bunch of 2d rounders. I want Manuel at 2.07 if he's there. Call me crazy, but Idzik should really push for Tampa's 2014 1st + this year's 2nd. Take the QB at 2.07 and use the Buc's 2nd for another need. Next year with 2 firsts, anything is possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    but look back on the colts that year.....they only won 2 games but they played their ass off and could have won more....i would not calling them taking that year...they were just grossly undermanned......NO NFL teams tanks a season....too many jobs are on the line....in week 15 and 16 I can see players easing off on the gas pedal but these men won't tank an entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    I totally agree, Ray.

People think we should tank the year because it worked for the Colts. The Colts tanked to get the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. In other words: as close to a sure thing as you're going to get. That's a once in 15 years type of player.

Bridgewater, Manziel, and the rest of them are not Andrew Luck. Tanking for one of those guys is as big of a gamble (arguably more of one) than taking Geno Smith at #9 this year. And I'm not a huge fan of Smith, mind you.

Imagine if this rebuild was happening a year ago, and the Jets would have tanked the 2012 season for Matt Barkley, who at the time was expected to be the #1 overall pick in this draft. How would that plan look right about now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree, Ray.

I would have tanked for Barkley but I in no way would tank for Bridgewater. Barkley had 3 years in as a starter last year with Bridgewater he is still just a big question mark. Now if Bridgewater looks great this year and doesn't declare then we will talk. If you told people back in the day to tank for Montana every SF fan would have been like why would we do a dumb ass thing like that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree, Ray.

Pretty good...they would have gotten him if that's who they wanted. How do you know this kid won't be great. You can't come to any conclusions until we know how good he is. How many people would have drafted Brady in round 1 if they knew how good he was? Do you think anyone would care about the negative press of taking him too early? My point is you can't judge until they play a few years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafting a QB makes more sense next year IF there is a franchise QB(s) available AND we make the Revis trade for 2014 picks, giving us the ammunition to go up into the top 5. Otherwise I'd prefer to look at some of the mid round prospects that can develop and learn the system in 2013 and hopefully take over in 2014.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    This class might not have a blue chip prospect, but is deeper than next years.

Regarding Manziel, he was a freshman this year... He might not even declare for an NFL draft until 2016.

In addition, he's about as good an NFL prospect as Tebow right now.
    He's a red shirt freshman.

He can leave after next year and he likely will.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if we don't take a QB, the Manziel threads will be amazing next year. He's got to be the most polarizing QB since Tebow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    At 2.09, Buffalo will draft either Nessib or Manuel, if one of them is still there. I wouldn't doubt that the Bills will trade up if there is an unexpected late 1st round run on what should be a bunch of 2d rounders. I want Manuel at 2.07 if he's there. Call me crazy, but Idzik should really push for Tampa's 2014 1st + this year's 2nd. Take the QB at 2.07 and use the Buc's 2nd for another need. Next year with 2 firsts, anything is possible.
    Buff to me has an easier choice then we do. If a stud OL is there I think they have to build that line or any QB they draft will be killed right now. Glenn is a G IMO. You let Levitre go which I do not get. So take Glenn and put him in that spot and draft Johnson or Fisher. If you like a QB trade up and get him after that or hope he falls. Although I would take a seriously look at Corp before doing anything rash. Really liked him coming out last year. Him and TJ are better then anything the JETS have IMO. That fact you weren't handcuffed by a 15 mil QB made it easier for you to find so viable options IMO. I'd seriously consider passing on QB even in the 2nd for WR and looking to the 3rd for a QB like Drysert or maybe Wilson. Once people start to see Corp I think it will be easy to sell him for the year. There is a reason he is the only QB from last year that survived the cut.