Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: addressing the safety position.

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What happened? Is one bad performance really enough to tank someone's chances?
    Considering all aspects of his pro day sucked, I think that should be of major concern. Slow in the 40, not very many reps on bench and weak vertical jump, those just off the top of my head. And this from a guy who sit out the combine. You would have thought he would have really been up for the pro day......

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Sign Huff if still available he should be cheap as he has realised all the big money in FA on safeties has already been spent. Draft Rambo or Shamarko.
    Huff is an excellent value right now. Im amazed he is still unsigned, the guy can really cover and cant be looking for too much money considering the market.

    This is the best safety class in years - we will absolutely come away with someone in this draft. If we do trade revis, I would love to come away with cyprien, but if we stand pat im ok with phillip thomas in the 3-4th round range.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Considering all aspects of his pro day sucked, I think that should be of major concern. Slow in the 40, not very many reps on bench and weak vertical jump, those just off the top of my head. And this from a guy who sit out the combine. You would have thought he would have really been up for the pro day......
    So then we take him in the 2nd. Jordan, and Jones. Nice replacement for Pace, and Thomas.

  4. #44
    I still think the Jets target TJ MDonald in the draft. He was highly rated before his senior year and his dad is the team's secondary coach.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Looks like all the teams that need a safety have signed theirs. I think we'll see what shakes out in a very deep draft, then if we still need one you can pick up Landry, Huff, or Sensabaugh after when they're cheap.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,849
    I think ANTONIO ALLEN ( 6ft 1 and 210) has a lot of talent and will be a very good player for us this year! He is the SS type and can hit and play the run well. We took a CB from BC last year as a UDFA. Donnie Fletcher is his name. That guy can play FS! He did it for us at times last year. He is 6ft 1 and 195 and can run good. We also have another safety on the team we signed when we signed Jarrett. His name is BRET LOCKETT. 6ft1 and 220.

    Cleveland Browns Lockett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cleveland Browns following the 2009 NFL Draft. He was waived by the Browns during final cuts on September 6, 2009.

    [edit] New England PatriotsLockett was claimed off waivers by the New England Patriots on September 7, 2009. He was placed on injured reserve on December 9. He finished the 2009 season with seven tackles over 10 games. Following the season, Lockett was an exclusive-rights free agent before re-signing with the Patriots. He was placed on injured reserve on August 31, 2010, with a chest injury.

    He was waived/injured during training camp in 2011. Lockett is expected to miss the 2011 season after tearing his groin in preseason game against the Bucs.

    [edit] New York JetsLockett was signed by the New York Jets to a reserve/future contract on January 2, 2013.[1]


    Throw Jaiquawn Jarrett into the FS mix and we have quite a few players to sort through. Lets not forget JOSH BUSH too.

    I would like to see us develop our guys without panicking and trying to sign guys like HUFF. He is an excellent player but why not see what we have first? The draft might yield a gem as well.

    I think WRECKS knows defensive talent. If he is not panicking over the loss of Landry and Bell, neither will I. He knows what he has to work with and wants to win!



    Jarrett is a very productive collegiate safety, but he may lack the size and speed to make an impact at the next level. He is a four-year starter that seeks out contact in run support and breaks down ball carriers in the open field. In the passing game, he uses very good recognition skills to effectively cover the deep-third of the field despite less than ideal speed. It remains unclear if his toughness and instinctual advantages can make up for his size and speed deficiencies in the NFL, but he has a great attitude and work ethic and should be a middle round pick.

    Strengths

    Jarrett is a well prepared player that is always in position. Possesses good instincts, reads quickly and is very effective in zone coverage. Flashes the ability to cover slot receivers in man coverage. Wades through traffic, fills hard in run support and is a good tackler in the open field.

    Weaknesses

    Does not have the size to play near the line of scrimmage at the next level. Lacks the top end speed to be a true center fielder and will struggle to recover once he is beat. Hands are not reliable and he does not have the ball skills to be a ball hawk.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...=2495177#tab=0
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    With the signing of Goodson, maybe we switch McKnight to safety in camp. Could happen.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So then we take him in the 2nd. Jordan, and Jones. Nice replacement for Pace, and Thomas.
    I find it hard to believe that Jones will fall out of the top 10. Considering his productivity in the elite SEC and his performance is superior to the OLBs. He certainly won't last anywhere near the Jets 2nd pick

  9. #49
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson Heights
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    But they did sign a FA safety even if to us fans he's considered a "Bust" already .

    The Jets have signed former Eagle 2nd round pick Jaiquawn Jarrett to a contract


    Jarrett, Jaiquawn S 6-0 196 23 2 Temple

    Lockett, Bret S 6-1 220 26 4 UCLA

    By my count, that's 2 SS and 2 FS on the roster with the draft still to come.
    Those guys are just camp bodies.

    I dont think Cyprien makes it to the Jets 2nd rd pick. And most pundits have him starting day one.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    Those guys are just camp bodies.

    I dont think Cyprien makes it to the Jets 2nd rd pick. And most pundits have him starting day one.
    So before these guys even suit up you have determined that they have no shot.



    Well, atleast they'll get a pay check.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    so you want to start 2 2nd year safetys who barely played last season and feel they are developed enough to be put into the starting role?
    Yes

  12. #52
    Scrap heap garbage

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Jones will fall out of the top 10. Considering his productivity in the elite SEC and his performance is superior to the OLBs. He certainly won't last anywhere near the Jets 2nd pick
    I'm kidding. People take these workouts too seriously. I'd love to take him later in the 1st if he dropped. I'm not sure if I want him, Jordan, or Mingo right now. Mingo has the most pure beast potential, Jordan is the most athletic, and Jones is the most NFL ready. he'd be great as the strong side backer opposite one of the other two though. A man can dream can't he.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    landry bell smith all gone.

    wilson pollard reed signed.

    who do we turn to in 2013?
    Extend Revis. Otherwise our secondary is going to be a horror show next season.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Huff is an excellent value right now. Im amazed he is still unsigned, the guy can really cover and cant be looking for too much money considering the market.

    This is the best safety class in years - we will absolutely come away with someone in this draft. If we do trade revis, I would love to come away with cyprien, but if we stand pat im ok with phillip thomas in the 3-4th round range.
    I like Rambo in the 3rd round. Huff is ok but I'd prefer Kerry Rhodes he is so good at covering the Tight End maybe he and Rex got over their beef. Maybe $20 million will help Kerry get over it.


    Whaddya think Woody Johnson? Maybe throw some of that Tebow money to a player who can actually help your team win games?

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm kidding. People take these workouts too seriously. I'd love to take him later in the 1st if he dropped. I'm not sure if I want him, Jordan, or Mingo right now. Mingo has the most pure beast potential, Jordan is the most athletic, and Jones is the most NFL ready. he'd be great as the strong side backer opposite one of the other two though. A man can dream can't he.
    Cheers man. Jones is indeed the most NFL -ready of the bunch. I just want someone who can start from day one, pin his ears back and rush the passer consistently. With Wilks and Coples to a lesser extent hitting their stride already I want a dude who can hit the field right out of TC and smash Brady. Of the bunch Jones is the most likely to have immediate impact. I think given that Rex knows he might be on his last legs and his D has to be elite again, and with Idzik in the house he won't want to waste time with developmental prospects. Better to go for the surest shot.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Cheers man. Jones is indeed the most NFL -ready of the bunch. I just want someone who can start from day one, pin his ears back and rush the passer consistently. With Wilks and Coples to a lesser extent hitting their stride already I want a dude who can hit the field right out of TC and smash Brady. Of the bunch Jones is the most likely to have immediate impact. I think given that Rex knows he might be on his last legs and his D has to be elite again, and with Idzik in the house he won't want to waste time with developmental prospects. Better to go for the surest shot.
    The you should go and sign John Abraham. The best OLBers are those who can "Set The Edge against the run and still make a play on the QB or those who can cover and still get after the QB . If you can't stop a team from running the football, why should they allow you to hit their QB. The 2 best fits for the Jets defense are Dion Jordan because he can Drop into coverage while still having the ability to get after the QB and Zeke Ansah who can Set the Edge while still having the ability to get to the QB. Behind those 2, are Alec Ogletree and Damontrae Moore to a somewhat lesser extent as 1st rounders.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us