Post Thanks / Like

addressing the safety position.

landry bell smith all gone.

wilson pollard reed signed.

who do we turn to in 2013?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

michael huff and charles woodson

we get this guys in with cromatie and kysle wilson we should be good ....sign one of the olb still available a pass rusher like dummmerville harrison freeney or osi draft jordan we should be good...all we need is offense now .. im up for drating stedman bailey in 2nd or 3rd

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This spot is likely going to be a huge, gaping hole this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

addressing the safety position.

I thought for sure that we would take a look at Pollard. But I never heard the Jets mentioned with him once. Considering he only got a 1yr deal I am disappointed.

I think they are going to give Allen and Smith every opportunity to win starting jobs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I thought for sure that we would take a look at Pollard. But I never heard the Jets mentioned with him once. Considering he only got a 1yr deal I am disappointed.

I think they are going to give Allen and Smith every opportunity to win starting jobs.
    smith? eric smith? he has been cut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can definitely see Eric Smith being re-signed, as S depth and especially for ST's. He would probably get a 1 year deal.

Antontio Allen and Bush will be in the mix as one of the starters, I can see Bush starting.

FA will remain in play for veteran players still available, and the position figures to be a target again in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    smith? eric smith? he has been cut.
    I meant Bush. My bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    May i ask a question here ? Why is everyone's garbage better than our own ? Last yr before the draft we signed 2 safeties andd then went into the drsft and took 2 more. It's 1 yr later with both the young safeties we spent draft picks on and managed to provide spot duty in games are still on the roster and ready for their closeup after the stop gaps hired to get them ready have been released.

Why should the Jets go out and spend valuable cap space on something their already have and have developed to perform?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Michael Huff would be a good choice for FS At 30 he still has a couple of years left to act as a bridge till a long term replacement can be determined. Dawan Landry can take over for his brother.
    Last edited by patman; 03-21-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    May i ask a question here ? Why is everyone's garbage better than our own ? Last yr before the draft we signed 2 safeties andd then went into the drsft and took 2 more. It's 1 yr later with both the young safeties we spent draft picks on and managed to provide spot duty in games are still on the roster and ready for their closeup after the stop gaps hired to get them ready have been released.

Why should the Jets go out and spend valuable cap space on something their already have and have developed to perform?
    so you want to start 2 2nd year safetys who barely played last season and feel they are developed enough to be put into the starting role?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Well none of us have seen them play enough to be confident of their ability to perform. Neither were high draft choices so although Rex liked them, he did not like them enough to take them earlier in the draft where you would normally get your starters. In most cases later rd draft choices have a ceiling of being capable reserves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    so you want to start 2 2nd year safetys who barely played last season and feel they are developed enough to be put into the starting role?
    No, but i would give them the 1st chance to show me they can't do the Job. I would like to start Josh bush at FS and Dawan Landry at SS, or someone like him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well none of us have seen them play enough to be confident of their ability to perform. Neither were high draft choices so although Rex liked them, he did not like them enough to take them earlier in the draft where you would normally get your starters. In most cases later rd draft choices have a ceiling of being capable reserves.
    LOL. None of "us" and "we" can't be confident. GTFO out of here

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, but i would give them the 1st chance to show me they can't do the Job. I would like to start Josh bush at FS and Dawan Landry at SS, or someone like him.
    dawan landry isnt on the jets roster?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    LOL. None of "us" and "we" can't be confident. GTFO out of here

Why don't you contribute to the thread, such as look over the FA list and come up with some names.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So according to you, all the starters on your team should be high round draft picks. Why exactly do they have 7 rounds in a draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So according to you, all the starters on your team should be high round draft picks. Why exactly do they have 7 rounds in a draft.

No, not at all. Just that it is more unusual for starters to come out of the 6th and 7th rd as the 2nd and 3rd. The jets already signed a QB, DT. a OLB and a OL in FA, but they have not yet signed a safety where the need was perceived by most to be as great. And i said that they have value as capable reserves, teams do have 53 players and not just 22 starters.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    allen r bush.. who cares.. lets see what they got in 13, its a trial year before we can start to compete again in 14. if they cant hack it, we use 1 of what our SHOULD be many early draft picks (counting ours and revis trade picks) and no way should we take eric smith back, he is terrible.. He lost as mny gaes in 2011 as sanchez did in 12.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, our biggest needs now are two safties and one more OLB. So it's OLB Barnes on one side and OLB #9 on the other side.

We still need an above average QB of course but I think Garrard is a good stop-gap and we don't waste a pick on QB this year. Well, maybe QB Jeff Tuel in the 7th/UDFA

Someone like Barrett Jones in the 2nd round who can play both center and guard would be an excellent choice for Oline depth/rotation between him, Ducasse, and Colon.

I like SS Jonathan Cyprien in the 2nd round also, so maybe OLine depth will have to wait.

Maybe FS in the 3rd, RB Stepfan Taylor in the 4th, Oline depth in the 5th.

Overall I think we field a pretty good 2013 team. I'm optimistic. We did better in FA than I expected.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, not at all. Just that it is more unusual for starters to come out of the 6th and 7th rd as the 2nd and 3rd. The jets already signed a QB, DT. a OLB and a OL in FA, but they have not yet signed a safety where the need was perceived by most to be as great. And i said that they have value as capable reserves, teams do have 53 players and not just 22 starters.
    But they did sign a FA safety even if to us fans he's considered a "Bust" already .

The Jets have signed former Eagle 2nd round pick Jaiquawn Jarrett to a contract

Jarrett, Jaiquawn S 6-0 196 23 2 Temple

Lockett, Bret S 6-1 220 26 4 UCLA

By my count, that's 2 SS and 2 FS on the roster with the draft still to come.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 03-21-2013 at 10:49 PM.