Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: this is why the giants win super bowls.

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Giants win SBs because they have an elite QB who plays big in big postseason games.

    Prior to that, they won SBs because they had a tremendous defense led by one of the greatest defensive players of all time.

  2. #42
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In Da Club with a Bottle Full of Bubb
    Posts
    8,727
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The only player that ever became a legitimate problem to them on the field was Shockey b.c he basically bullied Eli. And the Giants got rid of them. The rest of the players you mentioned had minor issues. And once Plaxico made his mistake they let him go. Until he shot himself he was a great player for them.

    There is friction in every NFL locker room. That is what happens when you bring 53 people together. It is only a problem when it effects the team's performance. And the Giants did what was neccessary every time that happened. They let Tiki walk and they got rid of Shockey.

    I don't even consider Holmes a bad character guy. He is a typical high maintenance WR. The issue between him and Sanchez and the OL would have been put to bed if we had any real leadership on the team. That would have never happened with Jones, Richardson or J Co on the roster. But it was allowed to fester and effect the team's performance b.c our HC is a buffoon.

    The biggest problem the Jets have is keeping guys like Scott a year too long while jettisoning their leaders. Those were all conscious decisions made by Tanny and Rex.
    Great post, but i disagree on the Santoni-HO comment. JMO, but he absolutely is a bad player, complains about getting the ball, and threw his team under the bus during a week 17 finale at the Fins.

    Also, in most situations, the QB IS the leader on the team. I know this isnt street life here, but Mark Sanchez went out like a biotch during that little episode. Leaders need to put their foot down, and not cave to their teammates *****ing.

    Instead, mark Sanchez just did the nice thing, kept his mouth shut, and invited Santoni-HO to "jets west" to rebuild and mend the fences.

    Even the well respected, grounded, sensible Peyton Manning doesnt allow such nonsense.


  3. #43
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Giants win SBs because they have an elite QB who plays big in big postseason games.

    Prior to that, they won SBs because they had a tremendous defense led by one of the greatest defensive players of all time.
    The giants win super bowls because their wr makes a ridiculous catch against his hemlet, Because the other teams DB falls down at the goal line and prior to that because the other teams K missed a chip shot as time expired. If SF could catch just 1 of 3 punts the giants would not even have been in their last SB. Luckiest team ever.

  4. #44
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In Da Club with a Bottle Full of Bubb
    Posts
    8,727
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The giants win super bowls because their wr makes a ridiculous catch against his hemlet, Because the other teams DB falls down at the goal line and prior to that because the other teams K missed a chip shot as time expired. If SF could catch just 1 of 3 punts the giants would not even have been in their last SB. Luckiest team ever.
    Lets not kid ourselves Pete, 9-10 times every SB team is lucky. If not in the SB, then certainly in 1 or 2 playoff games.

    Also, those examples you provided were all in the SB. Shouldnt we, in all disgustingness, give the Giants credit for making it to that big game those 3x?

    Id probably have a coronary if i could merely watch the Jets in a SB.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,401
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Lets not kid ourselves Pete, 9-10 times every SB team is lucky. If not in the SB, then certainly in 1 or 2 playoff games.

    Also, those examples you provided were all in the SB. Shouldnt we, in all disgustingness, give the Giants credit for making it to that big game those 3x?

    Id probably have a coronary if i could merely watch the Jets in a SB.
    Agreed...5 SB appearances and 4 wins since 86 can't be luck.

    They draft better and are better managed than we are.

    That creates luck too. They released David Tyree the next year. They dont get emotional like we do.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The giants win super bowls because their wr makes a ridiculous catch against his hemlet, Because the other teams DB falls down at the goal line and prior to that because the other teams K missed a chip shot as time expired. If SF could catch just 1 of 3 punts the giants would not even have been in their last SB. Luckiest team ever.
    Like SD said, SB teams get lucky along the way.

    NFL history remembers Montana and "The Drive", but it's easily forgotten that it might never have happened because Montana threw a bad pass right into the hands of a defender on that drive, but the defender dropped it.

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,783
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Great post, but i disagree on the Santoni-HO comment. JMO, but he absolutely is a bad player, complains about getting the ball, and threw his team under the bus during a week 17 finale at the Fins.

    Also, in most situations, the QB IS the leader on the team. I know this isnt street life here, but Mark Sanchez went out like a biotch during that little episode. Leaders need to put their foot down, and not cave to their teammates *****ing.

    Instead, mark Sanchez just did the nice thing, kept his mouth shut, and invited Santoni-HO to "jets west" to rebuild and mend the fences.

    Even the well respected, grounded, sensible Peyton Manning doesnt allow such nonsense.
    It is hard for me to argue with anyone who says Santonio is cancer b.c he made himself look awful and he handled everything poorly. The way I see it is that the entire thing started when Holmes made the comment about the OL early in the season. IMO that was Holmes' way of actually sticking up for Sanchez. He was basically saying that Sanchez shouldn't get blamed for the offense b.c the OL was awful. Should Holmes have said that publicly? No, he shouldn't have. But then things were exacerbated when Moore decided to open his mouth and basically mock Santonio being a captain. And that basically put Sanchez in the middle of a rift between Holmes and the OL that lasted the entire season.

    I agree about the QB being a leader and that is why I put some of the blame on Sanchez for what happened with Holmes. I just think the entire thing was a colossal failure that could have been easily prevented with a real HC and veteran leadership. Players get called out all the time, just like the vid you posted. Even Flacco got called out by his teammates. We just have a major leadership void on the team and that lends itself to these situations.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Giants win SBs because they have an elite QB who plays big in big postseason games.

    Prior to that, they won SBs because they had a tremendous defense led by one of the greatest defensive players of all time.
    geez its gonna be a longtime before we win 1.........

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    geez its gonna be a longtime before we win 1.........
    most of us will be dead before the jets ever win another SB

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,400
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    most of us will be dead before the jets ever win another SB
    That SB will be a double win then.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    That SB will be a double win then.
    I think that may have been too subtle. They aren't going to get it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us