Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this is why the giants win super bowls.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

this is why the giants win super bowls.

Yesterday, quarterback Eli Manning said he'd be willing to listen if the Giants approached him about reworking his contract to get Victor Cruz in the fold.

And today, right tackle David Diehl said to count him in.

"I would be willing to do some things to restructure and help other guys out and keep a great teammate ... like Victor Cruz," Diehl said tonight on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "I have restructured before in my 10 seasons of being a New York Giant. It is not something I am unfamiliar with. That’s part of the business in the NFL.”

In Diehl's case, he would likely have to take a pay cut. The 10-year veteran offensive lineman only has one year left on his contract -- with a base salary of $4.475 million and a cap figure of $6.903 million -- so the cap dollars can't be pushed into future years.

The Giants have managed to make a series of low-cost free agency moves that fir under the cap, but will need more space down the line, potentially to sign rookies in the summer. Will Diehl end up redoing his contract?

“Nothing’s happening as of yet," Diehl said. "I have been there the last seven weeks after having my knee scoped and having some surgery. I have been going there, in and out each and every day. We will see what happens, what happens [and] plays out here with Victor Cruz and everything like that.”

Cruz, who set the Giants' single-season receiving record in 2011, is a restricted free agent. Negotiations with the Giants toward a long-term deal have so far not been fruitful.

“You are talking a critical piece of to our offense," Diehl said. "It is important to get a guy like Victor Cruz back to go inside with Hakeem Nicks coming off injury.”

Diehl added, "He doesn’t want to go anywhere, he wants to stay a New York Giant, just like we want him to. Obviously now this is now structuring the money, getting him a deal that he thinks is fair, that he wants to sign. Like I said, knowing from my coaches that I play for on the Giants, or teammates, we definitely want Victor Cruz in our locker room. He is going to help us win football games and get us back to the Super Bowl.”

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty players on lousy teams have restructured their contracts in order to help acquire/retain players as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask Namath aka JDub why jets haven't W SB's since SB3.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Already a thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why Nike aka GMCJets should not be allowed to create threads.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    This is why Nike aka GMCJets should not be allowed to create threads.
    Nike inc makes great sneakers, this Nike sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plenty of Jets player have restructured over the past couple years, including Suckchez.

Brady just restructured to keep Welker, while Kraft and Belly low-balled him and they ended up paying Amendola a king's ransom.

This isn't why the Giants win super bowls, they win super bowls because they are the luckiest organization in sports: Norwood wide left, Packers missed FGs, Favre ****ting the bed, Eli being sacked but player heard whistle and let him go, Tyree catch, Lee Evans dropped TD vs Pats, Welker drop/Brady overthrow, Manningham catch. Giants hours have 1 SB victory and that's 1986. Also, if the Jets played in the NFC East over the past 15 years, they would probably have had a shot at some Super Bowls. Going up against the Pats every year has been rough. NFC East would have been a lot easier road: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2010,

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's also why the Jets win superbowls
    The Jets' practice facility in Florham Park had been open to players for less than five hours Tuesday when Mark Sanchez threw the first bomb of the 2011 season.

Carrying a 2011 $14.75 million base salary as he enters the third season on his five-year, $50 million contract, Sanchez said he is willing to restructure his deal to help the Jets sign free agents and remain under the salary cap.

"My agent's already talked to me about that," Sanchez said. "Whatever we need to do to win, it's on. ... I'll tell the guys upstairs this, too, they know that: Whatever it takes to win. If it's throwing the ball lefthanded, and that's gonna make us win, fine. I'll do it. It doesn't matter. We need to win."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.159374

Must also be why teams like the Ravens and Peyton's Colts never win super bowls...cuz their QBs are too busy taking max deals and not restructuring!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought it was making those critical plays at the right time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

Must also be why teams like the Ravens and Peyton's Colts never win super bowls...cuz their QBs are too busy taking max deals and not restructuring!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Plenty players on lousy teams have restructured their contracts in order to help acquire/retain players as well.
    LOL

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuh-Lassic. Lmao, isn't starting sh*tty threads like this one that spam the board the reason you got banned on your GMC account Nike?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They also resigned Carr keeping a good BU. They know good depth wins. The thing people dont get is they can loose Cruz and still be well off. Jernigan and Randle where both high round picks and I could very well see them dipping into the well again this year given the WR depth. After OLB and maybe DB it is not like they have a lot of holes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    more accurately spoken, this is why teams who draft well, develop talent well, coach them well, and play free agency well put their teams in position to win the league championship. good teams do that. everything after is a crapshoot if the best team has 60/40 odds in the reg season, and the playoffs are 52/48.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 03-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one that finds TX way more tolerable than GMC or SAR?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets' practice facility in Florham Park had been open to players for less than five hours Tuesday when Mark Sanchez threw the first bomb of the 2011 season.

Carrying a 2011 $14.75 million base salary as he enters the third season on his five-year, $50 million contract, Sanchez said he is willing to restructure his deal to help the Jets sign free agents and remain under the salary cap.

"My agent's already talked to me about that," Sanchez said. "Whatever we need to do to win, it's on. ... I'll tell the guys upstairs this, too, they know that: Whatever it takes to win. If it's throwing the ball lefthanded, and that's gonna make us win, fine. I'll do it. It doesn't matter. We need to win."
    Wait a minute, has anyone asked him to do this? Maybe it would help.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do people act like restructuring is some sort of sacrifice? If it cost them anything to do it then they just simply wouldn't. It doesn't affect total payout one bit, and just makes players harder to cut in the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    SAR doesn't believe a word he types. He just does it to tick people off. TX actually has a point on most of his posts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wait a minute, has anyone asked him to do this? Maybe it would help.
    That's Eli too THat guy will do WHATEVER it takes to win!

Late in the second quarter of Sunday's 41-13 victory against the Rams, the Giants' fifth-year quarterback was under pressure from end James Hall, who had his left arm on Manning's chest and used his right arm to pin Manning's throwing arm at his side. So Manning simply cocked back with his left arm and flung a pass to Brandon Jacobs for a 2-yard completion.
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ng_making.html