Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3-13?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Itíll all come down to Itdikís ability (or inability) to select talent come draft time. (Crossing my fingers itís the former)

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about the Jets rebuilding this year and many even saying we're gonna be one of the worst teams in the league. The ESPN power rankings didn't help much either.

Now I'm fine with that if that's how things turn out. Few fun years and then ya gotta bite the bullet and rebuild occasionally. That's the beauty of the NFL.

Problem is, I just don't see it. This may annoy the Sanchez haters and those calling for a 3-13 season so we can draft a QB early, but I don't see why we're not right in the hunt again come December. Not 14-2 or anything, but 9 or 10 wins doesn't seem crazy.

Let's look at last year. Even with an absolutely disgraceful offense, I'm pretty sure we were still in the running come early December. This after what I think may have been the biggest turning point of the season. Not Revis or Holmes getting hurt, or the butt fumble... the Hill drop vs NE. (Don't wanna kill the kid. He's young and hopefully he rebounds. But that seemed like a big fork in the road to me.)

The offense can only get better. There really is no getting worse. I'll assume Sanchez is the starter. Even if his play/ability doesn't increase dramatically, the rest of the O will be improved. Which will raise QB play by default.

1. O line should be improved or at least on par.
    2. Receivers... considering we were fielding a squad of division 3 guys last year, this'll definitely be better. Holmes, Bray, Kerley, and Hill (hopefully improved) is light years ahead of what took the field most of last season.
    3. Coordinator. Any doubt if MM is an upgrade over Sparano? Think not.
    4. Questions remain at TE and RB, but Keller was hurt much of the season and while I liked Greene, he's hardly irreplaceable.
    5. Which leaves QB. As I said before, the QB play will improve just from the fact whoever is at QB will have some actual NFL level players around him. And I for one still haven't given up on Sanchez. This is his last year to prove himself and I know the guy has to toughen up, but I think he can have his best (not saying much) year this season.

Defense:

Well we lost a lot of guys. But was any of it unexpected? Even if we weren't rebuilding, they pretty much all had to go anyway.

1. Revis. If he stays, we have the best CBs in the league. If he leaves, we did pretty damn good w/o him last year. Cro is a beast.
    2. Safety is probably the biggest concern. Actually not sure of the plan here. But we knew Bell was old and Landry was just to expensive given our cap issues.
    3. D line. Wilk is awesome. Coples should only get better. I loved Pouha, but dude was hurt a lot. Losing Devito blows, but he's not a top tier guy. I'm thinking the line will play at least as well if not improve as Wilk and Coples gain experience.
    4. LBs. Harris is the man. Even if many of you don't agree or think he's overpaid, I doubt many will argue he's not at least a solid starter. Davis seems ready to step up. Losing Scott, Thomas and Pace certainly lowers our experience level and each of them played well in green. I just don't think it'll take much to replace their level of play last year. Pick up two more guys in the draft and/or FA and the LB corps led by Harris should be improved and faster.
    5. Coordinator. Rex is back calling plays. In what many believe will be a make or break year for him. I actually feel sorry for opposing QBs. If Rex goes out, he's gonna go out swinging.

So am I nuts? Or even during our "rebuilding", do we still have some hope for a decent season?
    +1

The rest of free-agency and the draft will show a lot, but the under the radar, affordable, and smart moves so far have already improved the team. Except for S and TE, which we clearly took a step back... the other positions we are making small improvements.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 03-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reality: any team is extremely fortunate to get 3 starters out of the draft. With that in mind, pick your positions?

With the exception of Barnes and MAYBE Goodson, we have not brought in anyone that is a solid starter. It will be a miracle if Colon and Garay can stay healthy and be productive enough to even platoon. With extremely limited resources, we still need 2 starting guards and two safeties.

We are going to be counting on players like Powell, Ellis, Howard, and Cumberland to play BETTER than they did last year. Even if this happens, we have to have what few good players we have, stay healthy. If players like D'Brick, Mangold, Wilkerson, Coples, and Cromartie miss any significant time, the team doesn't have the talent or experience to make up the loss.

All that said, if we luck out and get 4 new starters that come in and play well, everyone stays healthy, the players mentioned improve, we still have Sanchez and Garrard at the helm.

It's possible that this team will be better than last year, but that doesn't guarantee that this team will win more than 6 games. Saying we are going to win 9 or 10 games next year, the only way this happens is if Sanchez finally becomes the player we thought we were getting 5 years ago, and everything positive mentioned in this post happen.

Odds are against it. Our schedule is going to be thought
    WR this year than last.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's been a lot of talk about the Jets rebuilding this year and many even saying we're gonna be one of the worst teams in the league. The ESPN power rankings didn't help much either.

Now I'm fine with that if that's how things turn out. Few fun years and then ya gotta bite the bullet and rebuild occasionally. That's the beauty of the NFL.

Problem is, I just don't see it. This may annoy the Sanchez haters and those calling for a 3-13 season so we can draft a QB early, but I don't see why we're not right in the hunt again come December. Not 14-2 or anything, but 9 or 10 wins doesn't seem crazy.

Let's look at last year. Even with an absolutely disgraceful offense, I'm pretty sure we were still in the running come early December. This after what I think may have been the biggest turning point of the season. Not Revis or Holmes getting hurt, or the butt fumble... the Hill drop vs NE. (Don't wanna kill the kid. He's young and hopefully he rebounds. But that seemed like a big fork in the road to me.)

The offense can only get better. There really is no getting worse. I'll assume Sanchez is the starter. Even if his play/ability doesn't increase dramatically, the rest of the O will be improved. Which will raise QB play by default.

2. Receivers... considering we were fielding a squad of division 3 guys last year, this'll definitely be better. Holmes, Bray, Kerley, and Hill (hopefully improved) is light years ahead of what took the field most of last season.
    4. Questions remain at TE and RB, but Keller was hurt much of the season and while I liked Greene, he's hardly irreplaceable.
    5. Which leaves QB. As I said before, the QB play will improve just from the fact whoever is at QB will have some actual NFL level players around him. And I for one still haven't given up on Sanchez. This is his last year to prove himself and I know the guy has to toughen up, but I think he can have his best (not saying much) year this season.

Defense:

Well we lost a lot of guys. But was any of it unexpected? Even if we weren't rebuilding, they pretty much all had to go anyway.

1. Revis. If he stays, we have the best CBs in the league. If he leaves, we did pretty damn good w/o him last year. Cro is a beast.
    2. Safety is probably the biggest concern. Actually not sure of the plan here. But we knew Bell was old and Landry was just to expensive given our cap issues.
    3. D line. Wilk is awesome. Coples should only get better. I loved Pouha, but dude was hurt a lot. Losing Devito blows, but he's not a top tier guy. I'm thinking the line will play at least as well if not improve as Wilk and Coples gain experience.
    4. LBs. Harris is the man. Even if many of you don't agree or think he's overpaid, I doubt many will argue he's not at least a solid starter. Davis seems ready to step up. Losing Scott, Thomas and Pace certainly lowers our experience level and each of them played well in green. I just don't think it'll take much to replace their level of play last year. Pick up two more guys in the draft and/or FA and the LB corps led by Harris should be improved and faster.
    5. Coordinator. Rex is back calling plays. In what many believe will be a make or break year for him. I actually feel sorry for opposing QBs. If Rex goes out, he's gonna go out swinging.

So am I nuts? Or even during our "rebuilding", do we still have some hope for a decent season?

(Oh and please get Tebow off the team asap. That'd be another huge improvement.)
    Yes you are nurts. 3-4 wins, rex will be gone. Two more seasons to rebuild, and thats if we get a qb in the draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Yes you are nurts. 3-4 wins, rex will be gone. Two more seasons to rebuild, and thats if we get a qb in the draft.
    Lol, took long enough.

We shall see. My money is on still being in contention come Dec.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I predict the Jets will have the worst record in the NFL next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I predict the Jets will have the worst record in the NFL next season.
    +1

Fire Rex. Hire Kotite or Groh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Games are won and lost on the field. Jets will have ok, maybe barely above average talent next season depending on what happens with the Revis trade. To me the window is somewhere between 9-7 and 5-11 and I'm a homer optimist so I'm going with 9-7 and possible wildcard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Reality: any team is extremely fortunate to get 3 starters out of the draft. With that in mind, pick your positions?
    I'd say OLB, G, S, if I had to pick three. S may not be so bad if any of the guys on the roster show something (I keep forgetting we picked up Jarrett last year along with Allen & Bush).

CB I think we're OK at even if Revis leaves - Trufant was on IR last year and he started to show promise at covering slot WR's before he got hurt. Plus there's Berry, another signing last year (can't remember if he's a CB or S?).

If we get lucky on a 4th player, we could really do with another TE or a RB. After that fill out depth, and if there's a QB prospect lower down take a chance on him - if we get nothing more than a possible backup, it's still worth a shot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have zero expectations for this team. If we go 3-13 or worse then I'm prepared and will enjoy the high draft pick next season. If we somehow gel as a team and put together a run and reach what I think is our ceiling 9-7, then I will enjoy that also. Last two years have been brutal to watch as a fan. '09 and '10 were fun to watch because we got hot, but we were hardly a powerhouse and I new this day was coming. I'm just hoping we can turn it around this year and then start building that roster next year for many years to come. Remember we were 4-12 in '05 and then turned it around to 10-6 the next year so anything is possible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hard time thinking they will beat last year's total of six wins. Rex is basically came out and publicly said that he has no good quarterbacks to work with. It's his new schtick in order to get another head coaching job after he gets fired next year.

When Sanchez is your best out of 4 medicore QBs then you're in serious trouble. Pretty much every fact of offense, defense, and even special teams with Westhoff gone, is in the process of overhaul.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Are you comparing Lattimore's injury to Revis?

Similar injury. Similar surgery, great surgeon.
    CB is a tougher position relative to a healthy knee. Lattimore will be at the SC Pro Day. And Revis has been visible doing exactly what? Hiding?
    Show us where you're at Revis. Getting there or having laughs in Paris.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I can't tell if there is sarcasm here or not ... Hhahahaha.

Somewhat objective. My statements about the offense are accurate.
    Defense. Proven OLBs? Safeties? DL depth - couple guys lost. Guys there are not proven yet. My comment on Revis is 100% valid. If not, why has he not been picked up by another team? I do not claim to KNOW if he is OK. Nobody actually knows. Until then - unproven commodity.

AS for the schedule? Tougher than 2012. They could get 7 wins.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Defense:

(Oh and please get Tebow off the team asap. That'd be another huge improvement.)
    the turning point was the ne game and how we were fed out that game by bad reffing if I recall three bad calls then with the drop the team never recovered

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd remain optimistic and say we go 4-12. Woody needs to focus on the important stuff like giving Tim Tebow a job.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot depends on the safety position. We lost a lot of players but most of them were on the decline and ineffective but losing Landry and Bell will hurt a lot. I don't trust two second year players who didn't play much last year to fill that void.

It's the NFL where anything can happen. In 2009 everyone expected us to tank and we were 7-7 and got a HUGE break when the Colts pulled Manning and we beat the Bengals and then made it to the AFC Championship game.

For now though I am not getting my hopes up. The last two years this team dropped their last three in a row.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    6 wins def. Maybe 7. Please observe the schedule. Tougher this year - both the AFC and NFC teams.
    QB stinks. RBs? TE? Redone OL.
    Safety? OLB (not better, newer). DL depth?

Revis? I have no idea if he has or will recover. He has shown what indication? Comparison: Marcus Lattimore of USC injured his knee and had surgery in a similar time to Revis. He indicated there is an outside chance he MAY be available for LIMITED action in September.
    RB is a MUCH easier and less demanding position than CB.
    Lattimore tore three ligaments in one knee. And has a repaired tear in the other knee. Revis tore his ACL. That's like comparing an aneurysm to an arythmia.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I'd remain optimistic and say we go 4-12. Woody needs to focus on the important stuff like giving Tim Tebow a job.
    Well, someone's got to protect that punter of ours!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, there is Zero chance of the Jets getting worse QB play. There is also a very good chance the O will score more due to the presence of a real-life OC. Finally, Rex can coach D and the team competes for him. So, the team will not be a push over. Impossible to predict wins in the NFL for any team without an elite QB, but I'll fell like 6 wins is about right with a +/-2 based on lucky/bad breaks.

Frankly, I'll be satisfied so long as the Jets are competitive and headed in the right direction. So, far I like the Idzik dynamic. He is clearly in control and making decisions with the long view in mind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    First off, there is Zero chance of the Jets getting worse QB play. There is also a very good chance the O will score more due to the presence of a real-life OC. Finally, Rex can coach D and the team competes for him. So, the team will not be a push over. Impossible to predict wins in the NFL for any team without an elite QB, but I'll fell like 6 wins is about right with a +/-2 based on lucky/bad breaks.

Frankly, I'll be satisfied so long as the Jets are competitive and headed in the right direction. So, far I like the Idzik dynamic. He is clearly in control and making decisions with the long view in mind.
    "Wisdom is the principle thing, but in all thy getting gain Understanding". The above post displays both wisdon and understanding. Nothing more need be said.