Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Brooklyn Nets, Clinched Playoff Spot

All Pro

Thumbs up Congratulations Brooklyn Nets, Clinched Playoff Spot

We clinched a playoff spot before the Knicks, thats pretty funny actually since they're ahead of us. 76er loss last night put us in. Knicks can clinch with a win tonight.

Amazing turn around for the Nets considering where this franchise was has been for the past several years. Out of the NJ(adios Christie), selling out games in their New Areana, and their franchise value up over 40%.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 03-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Happy for the Nets. They've always been my 2nd fave team after my beloved Knicks.

All Pro
    Jason Kid will always be my favorite Net player of all time. It's gonna be hard for me to root against him in a Knicks-Nets playoff. Wish Jason would have signed with the Nets to finish his career. His Jersey will be hanging in the Barkley Center anyway when he retires.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Good for the local team.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Jason Kid will always be my favorite Net player of all time. It's gonna be hard for me to root against him in a Knicks-Nets playoff. Wish Jason would have signed with the Nets to finish his career. His Jersey will be hanging in the Barkley Center anyway when he retires.
    Kidd is probably the second best ever Net player after Dr Jay. Back2Back Finals runs in the early 2000's with mediocre talent surrounding him. Amazing that's he's still an effective player after all these years.

All Pro
    Agree with putting Kidd second behind Dr.J.

1-Dr.J
    2-Kidd
    3-Rick Barry

My top three Net Players.

All Pro
    Watching Brooklyn choke away the lead with less then 3 minutes left in the game brought back some bitter memories of Jets-Browns 1987 playoffs.

I hate that little *uck Nate Robinson.

CJ Watson(Mr.Choke), Id say its PJ Carlesimo's fault. CJ Watson has proved during last season's playoffs with the Bulls again and again that hes not a playoffs player. Having him on the court for 4th quarter and crunch time is suicidal. The question is, why was he on the court when he shouldnt be? Who's responsible hehind the decisions?
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 04-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Watching Brooklyn choke away the lead with less then 3 minutes left in the game brought back some bitter memories of Jets-Browns 1987 playoffs.

I hate that little *uck Nate Robinson.

CJ Watson(Mr.Choke), Id say its PJ Carlesimo's fault. CJ Watson has proved during last season's playoffs with the Bulls again and again that hes not a playoffs player. Having him on the court for 4th quarter and crunch time is suicidal. The question is, why was he on the court when he shouldnt be? Who's responsible hehind the decisions?
    Really was bad luck that you guys drew Chicago rather than Atlanta.

100% agree on Nate too, he's a little POS.

A few of things of note regarding the Nets

The Bulls are a bad matchup for anyone, they have a great coach and always compete making every series a tough grind

This is the first go round for this Nets team and there is something to be said for go through the playoff experience together, win or lose this series (which looks likely to be a loss) this will be a good learning/growing experience for them.

The coaching advantage the bulls have with Thibs vs. PJ is the biggest mismatch in this series. Thibs has made adjustments and has shown numerous times he can draw up a play to get a bucket out of timeout, while PJ sets up an isolation for Joe or Deron and I have no idea why they do not feature Lopez more in the block late in games. He has so been the best player for either team in this series and they continually go away from him. Thats coaching. I like PJ but there is a reason he hasnt been a head coach in a long time. He will not be back.

The team is lacking direction and more importantly Leadership. Deron, JJ, and Lopez are not the leader types (thats a one of DWills flaws) and if your best player(s) are not leaders you have to have a strong figure head of a coach who can lead the team.

Deron has played great the second half of the year but he has to become more of a vocal leader and come in to camp in better shape. JJ is certainly overpaid, but he is not overrated as many like to think. Watching him play everyday really brings to light how clutch a player he is. Finding guys willing to take and make the last shot is not that easy and he has been the best late and clutch player in the league this year. He has to get healthy.

Lopez has taken a huge leap this year. He has improved defensively particularly with his shot blocking, but still has a ways to go rebounding. Hopefully the next coach can bring more out of him. Not sure where the team is headed, as Dwight Howard royally screwed us out of a championship caliber team. This team with right coach in place is just as good as any team in the east not named Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    A few of things of note regarding the Nets

The Bulls are a bad matchup for anyone, they have a great coach and always compete making every series a tough grind

This is the first go round for this Nets team and there is something to be said for go through the playoff experience together, win or lose this series (which looks likely to be a loss) this will be a good learning/growing experience for them.

The coaching advantage the bulls have with Thibs vs. PJ is the biggest mismatch in this series. Thibs has made adjustments and has shown numerous times he can draw up a play to get a bucket out of timeout, while PJ sets up an isolation for Joe or Deron and I have no idea why they do not feature Lopez more in the block late in games. He has so been the best player for either team in this series and they continually go away from him. Thats coaching. I like PJ but there is a reason he hasnt been a head coach in a long time. He will not be back.

The team is lacking direction and more importantly Leadership. Deron, JJ, and Lopez are not the leader types (thats a one of DWills flaws) and if your best player(s) are not leaders you have to have a strong figure head of a coach who can lead the team.

Deron has played great the second half of the year but he has to become more of a vocal leader and come in to camp in better shape. JJ is certainly overpaid, but he is not overrated as many like to think. Watching him play everyday really brings to light how clutch a player he is. Finding guys willing to take and make the last shot is not that easy and he has been the best late and clutch player in the league this year. He has to get healthy.

Lopez has taken a huge leap this year. He has improved defensively particularly with his shot blocking, but still has a ways to go rebounding. Hopefully the next coach can bring more out of him. Not sure where the team is headed, as Dwight Howard royally screwed us out of a championship caliber team. This team with right coach in place is just as good as any team in the east not named Miami.
    Who to you see as realistic/potential head coach candidates next year? Not that I'm disagreeing. I think PJ did an admirable job coming on as the interim head coach, but I don't think he's the long term answer for the team. I'm also not writing this series off yet. If Hinrich misses more time, I think the Nets have a shot.

The Nets have a bright future. Considering where they were just a couple years ago, I think this season is definitely a success. As you said, gaining this playoff experience is extremely beneficial.

All Pro
    I think Billy King signing his new contract, now puts Phil Jackson out of the equation. Is Van Gundy that much better then PJ? Thats going to be the question if the Nets lose tomorrow or in a game 7.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Who to you see as realistic/potential head coach candidates next year? Not that I'm disagreeing. I think PJ did an admirable job coming on as the interim head coach, but I don't think he's the long term answer for the team. I'm also not writing this series off yet. If Hinrich misses more time, I think the Nets have a shot.

The Nets have a bright future. Considering where they were just a couple years ago, I think this season is definitely a success. As you said, gaining this playoff experience is extremely beneficial.
    Not sure really thats part of the problem. This team has talent to be a upper echelon team in the East (the West is obviously the deeper conf) They arent a championship team obviously but need a coach who can maximize what they do have.

No idea why the decided to give King an extension right now. Prokhorov should waited to the end of the season and then if Phil Jackson turned them down (most likely he would of) then think about giving King extension.

They are going to reach out to Phil but he wont come here to be in management or coach (esp with King signed)

Next will JVG who I think will listen but I just dont see him getting back into coaching, his brother will be contacted as well and he is a more realistic option. If SVG says no they will probably have to try a retread like Mike Dunleavy, unless they opt for a young and up and comer like B Shaw.

A sleeper candidate is Messina from Europe and recently I heard Larry Brown (i cringed)

All Pro
    Nets showed a lot of heart tonight, winning this game, and taking it back to Brooklyn for a game 7. After that loss in game 4, I never thought they would recover winning the next two. Gotta give some props to PJ, even though I still don't get why he continues to start Evans over Blatche. It's gonna be crazy at the Barkleys Center on Sat. Go Brooklyn!

It was a good win, but they still make me shake my head with some of the complete fundamental breakdowns they have on the defensive end.

Up 90-85 off an inbounds pass they lose Belinelli who gets WIDE OPEN 3 to cut it to 2. This is my problem with PJ, these types of breakdowns are attributed to coaching. Also on on offense he has no imagination as everything is iso for Deron, iso for Joe. No movement, no Pick & Rolls or Pick and Pops with Brook its baffling really.

They should win game 7 even if Deng, Hinrich etc are all back. They are a more talented team, but the Bulls have such a huge advantage with Thibs as their coach that it will be another hard fought close game.

All Pro

They should win game 7 even if Deng, Hinrich etc are all back. They are a more talented team, but the Bulls have such a huge advantage with Thibs as their coach that it will be another hard fought close game.
    I expect to see the Net team we saw in game one. Bulls are just way to baggned up, even with the coaching advantage to overcome the talent the Nets have, with a pumped up sold out Barkleys center. Nets have a home court advantage for the first time in their history. Still want to see Pj start Blatche over Evans, so they can run up the score early, and then bring Evans off the bench. The bad side to a Net win, Is Billy King bringing back PJ as head coach next year which would be a huge mistake for the franchise going foward, and of course a waiting Miami team who they have no chance of beating.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 05-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.

All Pro

I expect to see the Net team we saw in game one. Bulls are just way to baggned up, even with the coaching advantage to overcome the talent the Nets have, with a pumped up sold out Barkleys center. Nets have a home court advantage for the first time in their history. Still want to see Pj start Blatche over Evans, so they can run up the score early, and then bring Evans off the bench. The bad side to a Net win, Is Billy King bringing back PJ as head coach next year which would be a huge mistake for the franchise going foward.

you cant lose a game 7 at home to a bulls team with no Deng or Rose...DWill is just not the player he was advertised to be.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You shouldn't be in a game 7.

@WojYahooNBA: Nets search for a new coach has started. P.J. Carlesimo won't be brought back. Jeff Van Gundy is a top target, sources say.

@WojYahooNBA: On Jeff Van Gundy front w/ Nets: Far less mutual interest between franchise and coach than I had originally been led to believe.
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-05-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Dumb move by the Nets firing Carlesimo. He did an excellent job this yr and there really isn't anyone better available. What they need to be doing is exploring a sign-and-trade with the Clippers Deron Williams for Chris Paul. Deron Williams is the most overrated player in the nba he should have never let that team lose in gm 7.