Thread: WCQ - USA/Mexico

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

WCQ - USA/Mexico

Do we(US) have a chance?

What say you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My head says no, but my heart says yes. Would be thrilled to come out of there with a draw.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Planned in advance and get to go into work late on Wednesday. Getting together with 8 friends to get rowdy for this one.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 03-25-2013 at 10:51 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd feel a lot better if it wasn't down there... I'm just praying for a draw...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The odds are stacked heavily against the Yanks. Mexico is desperate for a win and they have been harshly criticized for several weeks now. The US can pull off an upset IF the team found its chemistry again. What the Yanks lack in skill, they made up for with American spirit and grit. Qualities that have been notably missing as of late.
    The other issue is, of course, can someone besides Dempsey ever score a goal?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    The odds are stacked heavily against the Yanks. Mexico is desperate for a win and they have been harshly criticized for several weeks now. The US can pull off an upset IF the team found its chemistry again. What the Yanks lack in skill, they made up for with American spirit and grit. Qualities that have been notably missing as of late.
    The other issue is, of course, can someone besides Dempsey ever score a goal?
    It's not like we don't have quality scorers... They're not all world per se but Bradley/Altidore/Gomez etc... Need to get it going...

Pretty disappointed in Donovan's hiatus, tbh...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    It's not like we don't have quality scorers... They're not all world per se but Bradley/Altidore/Gomez etc... Need to get it going...

Pretty disappointed in Donovan's hiatus, tbh...
    Screw him, I've lost a lot of respect for him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Screw him, I've lost a lot of respect for him.
    the dave chapelle of soccer.

i think tonight good be a bottoming out point for the Mexicans. Theres a real chance at the 3 points. Ive never been more confident going into the Azteca (not that Im confident)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    the dave chapelle of soccer.

i think tonight good be a bottoming out point for the Mexicans. Theres a real chance at the 3 points. Ive never been more confident going into the Azteca (not that Im confident)
    I know what you mean. It feels like either they restore order as the big dog in CONCACAF, or they lose to their rival and hit rock bottom. There is almost no "in between" for Mexico tonight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy so far... One dumb yellow, one smart one. Altidore playing well and Dempsey may have to be the one to break this game too... Bradley not half bad though. Need Zusi and Gomez to step the **** up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone notice the ref can't count? 3 minutes of stoppage time, dude stops it after 2 minutes.

Plus Mexico is charging the sh!t out of the US and they are getting very aggressive with little repercussions from the ref. We'll see. I liken the Mexico style vs the US to forechecking in hockey. The US finally figured out that they need their Mids to come back and their defense to be composed against the onrushing, full speed forwards of Mexico. They released the pressure finally around the 35 minute and you could see the game change from there. It's gonna be more of the same and the Mexicans will play themselves aggressively into a bad position. There will be space for a great counter attack.

Even still, there's going to be plenty of space to keep possession too. All they need is for their Mids to support in their own half and they'll be ok. Same for the forwards in supporting the Mids. Once that happens the Mexicans will have run themselves out of the game. It's like when an opponent doesn't respect the other opponents ability to play on their level so they go all out aggressive. That's how Mexico plays the US. That will back fire if they can relieve the pressure through the mid. Which they are showing at the moment through the adjustments on the field.

That said, I'd take Beasley out right now if I were Klinsmann.
    Last edited by southside; 03-26-2013 at 11:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, Beasley is trash.

As far as the ref, he seems even, although he warned dude on the first free of the game and hasn't done much since toward Green

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So glad we switched halves and don't have to deal with that fn' far side linesman in our defensive third that was itching to call anything and everything....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beasley might lose this game singlehandedly...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should pair Eddie Johnson with Altidore up top not swap them.....ugh

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzalez is playing fantastic

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beasley WTF

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just started watching in 2nd half. How is it not 5-0 Mexico? What is our possession %....like 10% time of possession?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzalez, Zusi, and Besler....well done!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Just started watching in 2nd half. How is it not 5-0 Mexico? What is our possession %....like 10% time of possession?
    Ummmm... You missed the first 30 minutes. It was probably 60-40 for the game. Most of Mexicos possession was the first 30 mins and the last 10

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Gonzalez, Zusi, and Besler....well done!
    Agreed