Thread: Blizzard!

Blizzard!

Us vs CR - who's idea to have a WC qualifier in Colorado in March?

Blizzard conditions.

Veteran
    That game was fabulous for so many reasons. A US squad in flux and in desperate need of a win; A match with historic, inclement weather; both teams, including the trailing Costa Ricans, recognizing the once in a lifetime chance to play in a blizzard and urging the ref to allow play to continue; Non-soccer sports people tuning in to see Sportscenter and watching out of sheer curiosity; Nearly every sports bar in the country on a Friday night with the game on, and ESPN milking the publicity for all its worth. Great exposure for the sport.

Veteran
    When I say Blizzard you say soccer, Blizzard. Wait what?????
    I kept waiting for a goalie to fall and make the score weather driven but it was just the opposite. Good coaching by both squads.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    That game was fabulous for so many reasons. A US squad in flux and in desperate need of a win; A match with historic, inclement weather; both teams, including the trailing Costa Ricans, recognizing the once in a lifetime chance to play in a blizzard and urging the ref to allow play to continue; Non-soccer sports people tuning in to see Sportscenter and watching out of sheer curiosity; Nearly every sports bar in the country on a Friday night with the game on, and ESPN milking the publicity for all its worth. Great exposure for the sport.
    Yeah. I ended up at a bar in Herald Square (Jack Dempseys was just too crowded for me, but a great atmosphere if you want to 'in the den' of US Soccer fandom) and at least 5 different people came up to me during the course of the game, "Where are they playning?" and "I've never seen soccer like that". Most ended up watching with some bemusement.

Nice to get the goal they needed. Basically, the US did what they had to do. I'd love to send Mexico to their 3rd straight draw, but getting these 3 points were huge for the US. Especially since the other games were all draws. The US is back in a pretty good position.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Us vs CR - who's idea to have a WC qualifier in Colorado in March?

Blizzard conditions.
    Someone deserves a caning. What, Florida was booked?

That aside, it was a lot of fun to watch. Not great soccer, but entertaining as hell.

The point was to create a home field advantage.

There are two ways to do this in international soccer, 1) home crowd, 2) weather environment.

They brought Costa Rica into a cold they were not familiar with. It was evident that they had a hard time adjusting to the elements, much like the US did against Honduras due to their 95 degree heat and heavy humidity in the dead of winter. Plus, they travel to the Azteca where Mexico has both home field advantage points stated above. By playing at high elevation we've removed #2. There's no removing those psychopaths from The Azteca so the boys will be hit with cups of piss all match, but at least they will be used to the elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    The point was to create a home field advantage.

There are two ways to do this in international soccer, 1) home crowd, 2) weather environment.

They brought Costa Rica into a cold they were not familiar with. It was evident that they had a hard time adjusting to the elements, much like the US did against Honduras due to their 95 degree heat and heavy humidity in the dead of winter. Plus, they travel to the Azteca where Mexico has both home field advantage points stated above. By playing at high elevation we've removed #2. There's no removing those psychopaths from The Azteca so the boys will be hit with cups of piss all match, but at least they will be used to the elevation.
    Bingo. I love that they had it in Colorado, venues like that are the only time we get a large majority US crowd.

Watched the match at Mulligans in Hoboken (pretty cool atmosphere, btw) and was talking to a guy in the American Outlaws. He said they're sending over 1,000 people to Azteca on Tuesday. Pretty cool.

the game should've never been played and its a disgrace that FIFA/CONCACAF allowed it.

Earlier the game between Northern Ireland and RUSSIA was postponed due to snow and in much milder conditions.

homefield advantage my ass, nobody could play in that, nobody is used to that, if it was such an advantage you'd think the US would've managed more than 2 shots on goal and fluke score off a lucky bounce.

yes I'm bitter and all you ****ing gringos can kindly GFY and kiss my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the game should've never been played and its a disgrace that FIFA/CONCACAF allowed it.

Earlier the game between Northern Ireland and RUSSIA was postponed due to snow and in much milder conditions.

homefield advantage my ass, nobody could play in that, nobody is used to that, if it was such an advantage you'd think the US would've managed more than 2 shots on goal and fluke score off a lucky bounce.

yes I'm bitter and all you ****ing gringos can kindly GFY and kiss my ass
    LOL. Go look at Irina Shayk's astounding butt in the Hotties Forum. It will cheer you up.

Hey, it's fair game to me.....The US players were sweating their nuts off against Honduras in extreme heat that they're not used to in the Winter, might as well use our weather advantages when given an opportunity

If the officials wanted to call the game before the snowstorm, well then so be it......But it was a great choice going to Colorado in March by the USNT

Costa Rica from all accounts had no problems playing before/during the game, but only started complaining after they lost

So pumped for Tuesday's game at the Azteca

What a cry baby country. Just take your loss like men, not go whimpering to FIFA like a bunch of p ussies. You lost. Deal with it.

ZURICH (AP) -- FIFA is studying a protest from the Costa Rica soccer federation, which wants a World Cup qualifier against the United States replayed after losing 1-0 in a snowstorm.

''FIFA will now analyze the content of the letter and next steps will be determined in due course,'' the governing body said Monday in a statement.
    The Costa Rican federation said Sunday that the ''physical integrity'' of players and officials was affected, ''ball movement became impossible'' and field markings were not visible in Friday's match played in Commerce City, Colo.

The federation also urged FIFA to punish match officials, including referee Joel Aguilar of El Salvador, for allowing the match to proceed.
    For the protest to have a chance of succeeding, it must meet specific requirements stated in the 2014 World Cup Regulations.

One clause says that when a field becomes unplayable, the protesting team's captain ''shall immediately lodge a protest with the referee in the presence of the captain of the opposing team.''

Costa Rica also had to file written protests with the match coordinator within two hours of the final whistle, and to FIFA's administration by registered letter within 24 hours, ''otherwise they shall be disregarded,'' the regulations state. FIFA had yet to determine whether Costa Rica had followed those procedures.

U.S. captain Clint Dempsey scored in the 16th minute to lift his team to second place in the six-team CONCACAF region qualifying group after two matches. Costa Rica is last.

The top three teams qualify directly for the tournament in Brazil, and the fourth-place team faces New Zealand in a playoff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fifa-ge...7144--sow.html

That sounds awesome.

Except for the soccer part.

nothing will come from the appeal, but they still had to file it.

the game (second half) was played under gross violation of FIFA rules, which state that nobody can be on the field of play except the players and referee when the ball is in motion. you had guys with shovels running around the field during play throughout the second half, which is unheard of in soccer (mostly because it's illegal). if the conditions were such that the game couldn't be played unless you had people constantly on the field clearing the lines DURING PLAY, then the right course of action was to stop the game.

nothing will happen, though, I don't see anyway that FIFA rules against one of its concacaf powers. but as far as being pussies and whining, you can be damn sure that US Soccer would have had this game called the second Costa Rica tied, or if they had scored first. US couldn't afford to lose points at home, and they made it happen. all those years playing in Foxboro taught them a thing or two, apparently

Based on what I saw and the broadcasters commentary, I'll give credit to the players. It sounded as if the officials sought their input and all decided to play on. So credit to them all for nuttin' up.

That being said I think CR underestimated our speed going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Based on what I saw and the broadcasters commentary, I'll give credit to the players. It sounded as if the officials sought their input and all decided to play on. So credit to them all for nuttin' up.

That being said I think CR underestimated our speed going forward.

you can go frost-lick my balls for all i care

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Good. Eat me, CR. (Or, at least, the cute chicks from there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Good. Eat me, CR. (Or, at least, the cute chicks from there.)
    LOL

Veteran
    Over here in snowy conditions they use orange balls for contrast but from what I saw the ball was regular white which made viewing as well as playing a whole lot harder I was wondering do they never use orange balls in Concacaf?

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Over here in snowy conditions they use orange balls for contrast but from what I saw the ball was regular white which made viewing as well as playing a whole lot harder I was wondering do they never use orange balls in Concacaf?
    It was yellow.