Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What record does Rex need to save his job in 2013?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    rex is untouchable if he goes 0-16 he will still probably have a job here and only here.
    Wait, hold on...which is it Nike?

You said the above but then said "rex will be fired during the season if they arent winning games they should be. book it. "

What are you booking? untouchable OR fired?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I believe he'll keep his job no matter what, I believe Woody is of the thinking that this is a rebuilding job now. So he's going to give Rex a get out of jail card free for the next 3 seasons.

Myself, I think he should be able to win at least 8 games. If it were me making the decisions, I'd tell Rex win 8 games or lose your job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A GM's rite of passage is the opportunity to bring in his own people. In many cases because of the timing of the hiring, they keep the prior regime around because the better candidates (HC and assistants) are already hired.

It will start with scouting and personnel departments right after the draft. And it culminates with the coaching staff, mainly the head coach right after the season. Unless can get Sanchez to figure it out (something that has been his biggest failure as a HC over the past 4 years) he is likely gone. Maybe if he ends up with the number ranked defense could save him. But when he did have the best D in the NFL, he took over a roster (on D) where he didn't lose anybody, had young stars like Revis and Harris and was able to bring in 4 starters via free agency (Douglass, Scott, Sheppard, and Leonard).

Now we won't be able to bring in any significant talent, probably losing Revis, and having to replace Pouha, DeVito, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Bell, and Landry. Not to mention the depth problem we have been plagued with the last two years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 224B View Post
    Wait, hold on...which is it Nike?

You said the above but then said "rex will be fired during the season if they arent winning games they should be. book it. "

What are you booking? untouchable OR fired?
    either or this is the jets anything can happen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Tough to say because Idzik will probably can him no matter what...but if I had to take a shot in the dark...I would say 9-7
    Im amazed how everybody knows what Idzik is thinking, regarding Rex.What Idzik isn't gonna do is pull a tanny and extend someones contract until its time to really make that decision

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will be back you back book it. They are just now starting to let him make his own coaching staff you can't fire the guy now. Last year he did what many had him doing or better. This year we aren't ranked higher so you can't expect more. You dont fire a coach after 2 loosing seasons especially considered a rebuild year. Tanny messed up the cap not Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    do you have a reason for this absurd view or is this just more waste spewing out of your ass as usual?
    Because some posters here love to whine and make ridiculous statements.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 03-23-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    only here can a coach go to 2 championship games for the conference have 1 8-8 season and bad season and be on the hot seat.......
    Just let that soak in to tell how media driven this team and allot of fans are.
    I admit the goal is to win a championship if think the coach can take you back in three yrs you stick with him for the rebuild if not then dump him but please stop acting like there is inside info floating around if the gm want a new coach or if rex does not fit him he is gone no matter what the record, he will get another job and be successful and the idiots here will be saying we should have kept him. I do not know what is worse watching last yr unfold or reading some of the posts here

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    8-8

And how some wins over quality teams...haven't had many (any?) in a long time

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody's plane will be at Palo Alto Airport on January 30th.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he wins 8 games he's fired ha, since he will get us out of the franchise qb lottery, or clowney.. And there isn't a hc in the nfl who would be Better suited to unleash clowney.. Seriously next year is nothing, they should give Rex 1 yr extension, in 14 we may actually have a nfl team again when #6 is cut..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might be a fun year even if we suck. For once there are going to be a bunch of young guys playing full out trying to prove themselves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Rex will be back you back book it. They are just now starting to let him make his own coaching staff you can't fire the guy now. Last year he did what many had him doing or better. This year we aren't ranked higher so you can't expect more. You dont fire a coach after 2 loosing seasons especially considered a rebuild year. Tanny messed up the cap not Rex.
    Are you saying that he didn't get to "make" his own coaching staff before this?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will be fine as long as he doesnt say outlandish things. Everyone seems to love him as a person and from a coaching stand point this is the best staff we had in his tenure. Marty M allows rex to focus on what he knows which is defense rex wont have to babysit the o coordinator like he had to every other yr. Im neutral on the subject if idzik says stay than im all for it if he lets him go than i trust its right but u cant deny players love to play for this guy. Problem in the past was there wasnt much in the way of consequences for acting like a fool for the players and rex seemed to have a friend approach rather than a superior. I do agree though 5 wins 10 wins it doesnt matter. Its all about how the team is coached and staying out of headlines for non football matters and running the team like a proffesional organization. If rex can manage that and appear competitive than id say he stays with 7 wins i mean lets not have a goldfish memory here he is 50% as our coach getting us to AFCCG

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex is untouchable if he goes 0-16 he will still probably have a job here and only here.
    rex will be fired during the season if they arent winning games they should be. book it.
    There comes a time in everyone's life where they just need to take a break from the internet. Fake names. Made up stories. 15.33 posts per day. Have a family? Take them out, or something......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The jets are not capable of winning more then a few games. So this is a moot point. Rex is toast and it is the right move.
    You have no way of knowing this now, stop spewing your ignorant BS.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    No SOJF here. If Idzy has a guy in his mind, I don't see Rex staying... unless the Jets go crazy this year with 10+ wins and do some damage in the playoffs.
    If Idzik wasn't a first time GM, and had experience hiring HC's I could see this being the case, but I'm not so sure.

I think Rex has an ally in Woody, if Rex buys into Idzik and vice versa, I could see a new marriage.

But your point is not at all indisputable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    There comes a time in everyone's life where they just need to take a break from the internet. Fake names. Made up stories. 15.33 posts per day. Have a family? Take them out, or something......
    ROFLMAO

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsmets84 View Post
    Rex will be fine as long as he doesnt say outlandish things. Everyone seems to love him as a person and from a coaching stand point this is the best staff we had in his tenure. Marty M allows rex to focus on what he knows which is defense rex wont have to babysit the o coordinator like he had to every other yr. Im neutral on the subject if idzik says stay than im all for it if he lets him go than i trust its right but u cant deny players love to play for this guy. Problem in the past was there wasnt much in the way of consequences for acting like a fool for the players and rex seemed to have a friend approach rather than a superior. I do agree though 5 wins 10 wins it doesnt matter. Its all about how the team is coached and staying out of headlines for non football matters and running the team like a proffesional organization. If rex can manage that and appear competitive than id say he stays with 7 wins i mean lets not have a goldfish memory here he is 50% as our coach getting us to AFCCG
    When did this ever happen? Rex has repeatedly stated that he's not involved with the O, that he has to get better there, even up to that silly press conference he had with the Wood-man when he got back from his "Tatoogate" vacation. His OCs have been given carte blanche because the man couldn't care less about that side of the ball. The funny thing is many many quality OCs would view that as a dream situation, yet he can't get a top notch guy in here (sorry, but I'd be more comfortable with Marty if we had a HC that knew offense and could truly oversee him). Of course to the Rex guys it's never ever his fault and stories get made up about him babysitting OCs, as if he's ever held anyone under him accountable.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 03-23-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typos

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    playoffs will save him. MAYBE 9-7 will too. Rex is set up to take the fall for 2013.
    This is 100% correct. He's a dead man walking.