Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What record does Rex need to save his job in 2013?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    talk to me next season

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not saying rex ever had to babysit OCs from a gameplan side of things i just mean with schotty 1. He wasnt rexs guy 2. He constantly had to defend schottys play calling ability.
    And Sparano was much of the same. He had
    Two incompetent guys running that side of the ball. So what im saying is now with MM he hasa proven guy who he doesnt need to worry about making awful judgement calls. If rex gets canned it wont be due to bad offensive coaching is the point i was trying to make .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Are you saying that he didn't get to "make" his own coaching staff before this?
    He inhertied Schotty and Cavanaugh. It seems clear that Schotty had friends in high places and stuck around longer than anyone else wanted. There wasn't much to pick from last year, Sparano was obviously a one year rental. Given the wildly different look of the offensive coaching staff it does look that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    only here can a coach go to 2 championship games for the conference have 1 8-8 season and bad season and be on the hot seat.......
    Just let that soak in to tell how media driven this team and allot of fans are.
    I admit the goal is to win a championship if think the coach can take you back in three yrs you stick with him for the rebuild if not then dump him but please stop acting like there is inside info floating around if the gm want a new coach or if rex does not fit him he is gone no matter what the record, he will get another job and be successful and the idiots here will be saying we should have kept him. I do not know what is worse watching last yr unfold or reading some of the posts here
    It's really amazing. Was anyone realistically expecting better than 6-10 last season, and that was with Keller, Holmes and Revis active. Managing that many wins with what he had at QB and offense is a minor miracle. Having said that, Coughlin was on the hot seat in the beginning of the SB winning season two years ago. And he already had one SB under his belt. Mainly because of the horrific performance against the Iggles the year before and blowing that 21+ point lead in the last five minutes of the game. People have very short memories in NY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It's really amazing. Was anyone realistically expecting better than 6-10 last season, and that was with Keller, Holmes and Revis active. Managing that many wins with what he had at QB and offense is a minor miracle. Having said that, Coughlin was on the hot seat in the beginning of the SB winning season two years ago. And he already had one SB under his belt. Mainly because of the horrific performance against the Iggles the year before and blowing that 21+ point lead in the last five minutes of the game. People have very short memories in NY.
    If you expected Sanchez to improve this was a better then 6-10 going into last year. The fact we still finished 6-10 with perhaps the worst QB play in team history I think says a lot. Never mind loosing our best D player, biggest play maker on O, then our 2nd best play maker on O.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have heard, anything short it Coach of the Year and he is out of here!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    7 wins will do it. 6 maybe. but more than the win total the effort and how competitive in the loses they are will be more telling. if he loses by 17 points every time they play good teams and lose I think they will let him go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsmets84 View Post
    Im not saying rex ever had to babysit OCs from a gameplan side of things i just mean with schotty 1. He wasnt rexs guy 2. He constantly had to defend schottys play calling ability.
    And Sparano was much of the same. He had
    Two incompetent guys running that side of the ball. So what im saying is now with MM he hasa proven guy who he doesnt need to worry about making awful judgement calls. If rex gets canned it wont be due to bad offensive coaching is the point i was trying to make .
    so all Schotty did was to get a raw QB with little experience into the AFCCG two years in a row. So by your estimation we now have a great OC and Suckchez has much more experience, so we should expect the SUPER BOWL .

Let the crying start!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    so all Schotty did was to get a raw QB with little experience into the AFCCG two years in a row. So by your estimation we now have a great OC and Suckchez has much more experience, so we should expect the SUPER BOWL .

Let the crying start!
    they would have been in the sb with a real OC

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see Rex go yesterday, but will not root against the Jets throughout a season to see this come to reality. Hopefully the wheels are in motion to dump him no matter what the outcome, short of a ring.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    they would have been in the sb with a real OC
    Have to agree strongly with that evaluation.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex is safe for two more years...this year is ignored and next year, after 2 drafts and FA's, will be the his test...so, 6-10 and then he has to hit the playoffs strong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Let the crying start!
    wow just wow how bad is this on so many levels this is why people laugh at this crap.
    All Schitty did was ruin a young QB, Rex is and will always be a defensive coach he was very hands off and it kind of worked till the GM got to smart for himself and royally fed this team up with questionable signings and letting players with character walk when we should have kept them

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is on a short leash jack.! Soo is Sackchez. Win the whole thing is what he has to do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a) 10+ regular season wins

b) 9-7, playoff berth, playoff win

Finish 8-8 or worse and he'll be out of here.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Let the crying start!
    Lol @ this. And agree a competent OC gets us that extra step. You must have a short memory it was our defense that got us there and schotty called about 5 good games in that 2 yr span. He was awful. It doesnt take a genius to run a ground and pound offense i mean its a pretty basic concept yet schotty made it look like rocket science....he had way more to do with our failures than success

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    playoffs will save him. MAYBE 9-7 will too. Rex is set up to take the fall for 2013.
    Not at all ... 10-6 under a new GM didn't save Lovie Smith. Rex needs to make the playoff's or he's axed and to be honest be might be done no matter what he does unless he makes a miracle run at the AFC championship or something like that which is super doubtful with this roster. Agree with Rex being set up to take the fall. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets front office and powers that be are putting out that whole 1st and 2nd picks for next year on their own and are asking for that already from Tampa but want to make it seem like thats what Tampa will only give us only so we stack the picks for next year rather than this year. It gives Idzik the opportunity to bring in his guy and gives the Jets an opportunity to rebuild their image and etc with a new face after Rex. I don't want to Rex go .. I think he can get it done with the right pieces intact but Tanny just sucked and his OC's were all horrible.

I think Idzik brings in Bevell after this season if Rex doesn't make the playoff's. Bevells a real good quality coach who adapts to his personell and he's a solid game caller. Not sure how he'd do as an overall head coach though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm expecting this team to revert closer to their 2009 form. Tight, rigid, execution based.... that's what I'm hoping for anyway. I think Rex's job will hang on what sense of commitment he gets from the team. If they play hard, and we as the public sense that the team did all they could, then he's in. With that said though, any under 8-8 will be tough to sell.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything short of the payoffs and he is out of here. Name the last head coach of the Jets who got to stay after three straight no playoff seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the team is competitive and the offense gets turned around he keeps his job...amazing how many here assumes he will get fired after ONE losing season...yes ONE losing season in four years, Rex is a good coach and this team will be improved in 2013....most of you already thinks this season is a wash and are talking about 2014......well this Jets team might just surprise you. I like it that Rex will be calling defensive plays and it will be no issue since he has a great rapport with Dennis Thurman.....we also finally have a competent offensive coordinator. So many of you are already expecting the worse and we are still in march.....sorry but I and others are optimistic and we have good reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    This

The haters and SOJF's who have already decided Ryan's fate will whine, but this statement is absolutely true.

It's not the team's record, it is the team's performance and how hard they play this year. It's how well coached they are, and it's how well are the young players working and developing that will decide Ryan and the coaching staff's fate.