Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What record does Rex need to save his job in 2013?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Maine. I'm with you on that....eight wins is feasible because so many teams are having changes....the jets changes have all been for the better....lets see the draft and come august we will really see how this team looks.....it amazes me how many posters here are already assuming that the jets cannot win even 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Although I believe he'll keep his job no matter what, I believe Woody is of the thinking that this is a rebuilding job now. So he's going to give Rex a get out of jail card free for the next 3 seasons.

Myself, I think he should be able to win at least 8 games. If it were me making the decisions, I'd tell Rex win 8 games or lose your job.

Hall Of Fame
    8-8 is not a losing season....rex has one losing season in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Rex will be back you back book it. They are just now starting to let him make his own coaching staff you can't fire the guy now. Last year he did what many had him doing or better. This year we aren't ranked higher so you can't expect more. You dont fire a coach after 2 loosing seasons especially considered a rebuild year. Tanny messed up the cap not Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    and I agree with your post

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Rex will be back you back book it. They are just now starting to let him make his own coaching staff you can't fire the guy now. Last year he did what many had him doing or better. This year we aren't ranked higher so you can't expect more. You dont fire a coach after 2 loosing seasons especially considered a rebuild year. Tanny messed up the cap not Rex.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Although I believe he'll keep his job no matter what, I believe Woody is of the thinking that this is a rebuilding job now. So he's going to give Rex a get out of jail card free for the next 3 seasons.

Myself, I think he should be able to win at least 8 games. If it were me making the decisions, I'd tell Rex win 8 games or lose your job.
    If this was true, Rex would have:

1. Received an extension
    2. Been able to assemble his own staff without having to get Idzik to sign off on all the hirings
    3. Have some say in the Revis soap opera

Let's be clear, we still have the same garbage at QB that we have had the last 4 years. Plus, I am getting a kick out of everyone saying that the changes we making are for the better. Really?

Greene for Goodson. Greene has 2 1000 yard seasons and Goodson has been a change of pace back and been bounced around the league as this is his third team. I like the move, but let's not get crazy about it. Chris Johnson he is not.

Slauson and Moore for Colon. Granted we MIGHT get a guard in this draft. That said, we are now "upgrading" from two serviceable players who stayed healthy their entire careers for Colon and an unproven rookie? This will be an upgrade only if we go guard in the first round.

We haven't done anything with the TE position yet. I really hated Keeler's position so I won't argue this one.

That is just the offense.

Now let's try to replace Pouha, both OLB, and both safeties. Not to mention DL depth.

I think people are overrating our potential draft. We will be lucky to get more than 2 LEGITIMATE starters from this draft. Add one if we get TB's first this year. We can't expect an entire rookie class to come in, stay healthy, play well, and thus challenge for a playoff berth. Specifically if we don't have the QB to make everyone better.

Playoffs or GONE.

Can't miss the playoffs for three consecutive seasons and keep your job.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

1. Received an extension
    2. Been able to assemble his own staff without having to get Idzik to sign off on all the hirings

Let's be clear, we still have the same garbage at QB that we have had the last 4 years. Plus, I am getting a kick out of everyone saying that the changes we making are for the better. Really?

Greene for Goodson. Greene has 2 1000 yard seasons and Goodson has been a change of pace back and been bounced around the league as this is his third team. I like the move, but let's not get crazy about it. Chris Johnson he is not.

Slauson and Moore for Colon. Granted we MIGHT get a guard in this draft. That said, we are now "upgrading" from two serviceable players who stayed healthy their entire careers for Colon and an unproven rookie? This will be an upgrade only if we go guard in the first round.

We haven't done anything with the TE position yet. I really hated Keeler's position so I won't argue this one.

Now let's try to replace Pouha, both OLB, and both safeties. Not to mention DL depth.

I think people are overrating our potential draft. We will be lucky to get more than 2 LEGITIMATE starters from this draft. Add one if we get TB's first this year. We can't expect an entire rookie class to come in, stay healthy, play well, and thus challenge for a playoff berth. Specifically if we don't have the QB to make everyone better.
    Jets didn't need to extend Rex to keep him around, he is still under contract through 2014.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...through-2014/1

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think anything short of a winning record (9-7) he will be gone.

Would love to have him as the Jets DC if that happens, I know that is a far cry from being realistic but..... anything is possible in Jet's land.

All Pro
    If he's gone...who's a better candidate to replace him?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Jets didn't need to extend Rex to keep him around, he is still under contract through 2014.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...through-2014/1
    I never said that. The post I was responding to said that Woody was going to keep Rex around for 3 more years. While I think that is ridiculous, and if that was anywhere near the truth, Woody would have given Rex an extension of at least 1 year as a vote of confidence.

Everybody who is paying attention, knows unless Rex pulls off a miracle, he is getting fired at the end of the 2013 season. Idzik was not part of the organization when Rex was hired. Rex was kept around for 1more season because Idzik had salary cap issues and roster issues that demanded his immediate attention. Spearheading a coaching search would have detracted from that. Plus, Rex has 2 year left on his deal. It's acceptable to owners to eat a year of the contract. Sometimes, unless it's been a disaster, 2 years is too much.

There is no answer to this question, too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

1. Received an extension

I agree with the premise of your post, but Idzik did not have to sign off on all the hirings. Rex did this all on his own, interviewed and hired most of the staff before Idzik was even hired.

The new GM of da Bears fired Lovie after winning 10 games, so it looks like Rex needs 11 wins to survive

Would like to see Rex stay but somebody's got to answer for Sonny (I mean Sanchez)

It is totally unreasonable for anyone to think that Rex needs a winning season to keep his job. I know i am not a jet fan but this roster right now or even after hitting on 1/2 of your picks is not going to be a very good Roster.

Is Revis going to be on the team?
    Is Holmes going to be effective the year after lLz Franc.

There is still no nfl safety on the roster., Kerley is the only proven receiver.
    Can Goodson be a full time back?

If Rex wins 7 games with this roster and keeps his mouth shut he will be here in 2014

16-0

Otherwise Rex Ryan is a loudmouth idiot who is clearly over his head and underachieving with amazing talent.

Mike Fatf*cksa told me so.

A win against the Pats would help a lot. If they get swept again and aren't truly competitive for a playoff spot, pretty tough for an owner to sit back and just accept that his talent stinks but is "up and coming" and his HC is doing an amazing job while still failing in the "what have you done for me now" league.

If the Jets are a "rebuilding team," then they are essentially a "new, trying to be up and coming team," which is usually associated with a new head coach. That new head coach gets the time to develop his players and if it ultimately fails, he's gone, too.

I can't think of any team comparable to the Jets' model of going from a good team, dropping all the way down to a "new team," and letting a HC ride this whole thing out with a multi-year hall pass based on his previous experience. If anyone has a comp team, I'm curious?
    Last edited by ASG0531; 03-25-2013 at 02:43 AM.

I'd say 8-8 but it all depends on how he finishes the season. The last two years we dropped our last three in a row. (2011 went from 8-5 to 8-8 and 2012 went from 6-7 to 6-10). If we end the season like that again I think he's gone. If we are 5-8 and end up 8-8 that might be the best chance Rex has to save his job.

Woody or any owner would have a hard time selling tickets to fans if they keep a coach who falls apart in December three years in a row.

Something else to remember. Last year we went 6-10 with a cake walk schedule. Arizona, Jacksonville, and St. Louis were pretty easy teams to beat. Miami and Buffalo were mediocre. The only decent team we beat was the Colts. We could have very easily been a 4-12 team last season.

true enough. on that basis 6-10 might be enough too. if i'm the owner i want to see the jets in every game and not have a end of season swoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Its how the team plays for him that will be the deciding factor. If it goes 8 and 8 but looks like a comedy act, he is gone! if it goes 8 and 8 but the team plays hard and barely loses due to the bounce of the ball, he will stay!

Its obvious that on paper we look undermanned. The owner and GM are aware of that fact. Lets see WRECKS develop some guys and we play lights out good football and I think he will stay! Screw the record! Its how we respond to him and how we play the game this year that counts!

Of course there is the inevittable "poor Mark Sanchez "nonsense around here by his few fans. IMO the same goes for him. Look the part of a real , NFL quality QB and an 8 and 8 record will suffice to allow him to live for another day. But if he looks like a buttfumbling, interception prone , indecisive , CFL outcast and he will be gone.

All Pro
    If they're competitive, play solid defense, and develop a new Idzik identity of competition at all positions. Then most importantly, avoid any major embarrassing controversy he's going to get another year. I think you guys are wrong about who he needs to impress though. Rex had Woody's ear, and I could see his personality dwarfing Tanny, and besides Tanny really wanted Rex to like him. Finally in with the cool kids. Idzik is in charge now. Rex is not going to circumvent him. Without knowing him, Idzik seems much more persuasive. He commands respect, and inspires confidence. Even Rex seems to look to him for approval. Could mean great things for the team, and for Rex' development as a HC...Could mean the end of his development as a HC as well.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    I'd say 8-8 but it all depends on how he finishes the season.
    Bingo. The actual season record is not as significant as the manner in which the season is finished. If the team is playing hard and improving, Rex stays. If the team mails it in, Rex is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Bingo. The actual season record is not as significant as the manner in which the season is finished. If the team is playing hard and improving, Rex stays. If the team mails it in, Rex is gone.
    Rex's teams run on emotion and momentum. If the Jets start out 5-8 consider Rex a goner. Sucks because he's the best coach this franchise has had since Parcells (yes, I know not saying much but still).