Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen Eli in thousands of commercials, Saturday night live, play first, charity promos, disease foundations, etc. Having first name recognition is meaningful . I have never seen Revis outside of a Jet game. Not. Ever. Not even on those thanksgiving and other do-gooder spots on Flight Plan where players like Bart Scott and D'Brick have donated their time and money. You have to be perceived as a good person to have marketability. Revis has developed his image as a self serving pig.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I have seen Eli in thousands of commercials, Saturday night live, play first, charity promos, disease foundations, etc. Having first name recognition is meaningful . I have never seen Revis outside of a Jet game. Not. Ever. Not even on those thanksgiving and other do-gooder spots on Flight Plan where Bart Scott and D'Brick have donated their time. You have to be perceived as a good person to have marketability. Revis has developed his image as a self serving pig.
    Didn't Revis do a commercial for Big Dick?? Somehow the name fits..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. You're probably right.

I think Revis does have some marketability. But not to the point where it should weigh on our offer to him. If TB thinks he can bring something outside of football to them then I hope they go for it.

That is all.
    I agree with your point about it not affecting our offer to him but again,it may be more relevant to teams in markets that are not NYC and therefor their offer to him.

Tampa may well have a football operation that is thinking in terms of his on the field impact but to get the OK from ownership etc who have to be on board with the likely record breaking financial outlay they may also need to make a compelling "off-field" argument too.So I can see the logic in this brand Revis argument having some relevance

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't think the Darrelle Revis is so great?

SAR I
    yes .. id say 'great' is an understatement.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I completely disagree with your thoughts on Cromartie.

Antonio Cromartie had a legitimately GREAT season last year. Probably the best season he'll ever have.

The problem with that thinking is that Cromartie is NOT a consistent player. Just as good as last season was, he's also had seasons where he was very average. In other words, he isn't doing what he did last season consistently.

Quite the contrary with Revis. Revis has been a consistently great player pretty much since 2008.

Cro is a very good player, but he is also the best of the rest. Darrelle Revis is in a class all by himself.

While we are on the subject of money invested in one position, why not trade Cro? His value has probably never been higher. He could quite possibly get us another 1st day pick. And by trading him it would get our percentage of salary invested in one position much more in line with standards.

Meanwhile, Kyle Wilson IMO is an up and coming player and deserving of the number 2 CB spot. Why not elevate Wilson to number 2. Resign Revis for big bucks. Gain an extra pick this season or next for Cro and use the draft to take another young CB?
    You don't need the best CB in the NFL in order to win games. Guess what all of these teams have in common besides making the playoffs in 2012: Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Texans, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers and Seahawks. Not one of them had the best CB in the league on their team, but 11 out of those 12 have a legitimate franchise QB's on their team and the one who doesn't has probably the best RB of this generation on their team.

If Revis was healthy last year the whole year I don't see any game in which we lost that we would have won if he was playing. He is not the game changer people believe he is. The Jets biggest concern should be finding the QB who is. Revis is replaceable and I know that b/c he was replaced last year and the secondary didn't miss a beat. You can't argue with facts and statistics.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You don't need the best CB in the NFL in order to win games. Guess what all of these teams have in common besides making the playoffs in 2012: Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Texans, Colts, Broncos, Redskins, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, 49ers and Seahawks. Not one of them had the best CB in the league on their team, but 11 out of those 12 have a legitimate franchise QB's on their team and the one who doesn't has probably the best RB of this generation on their team.

If Revis was healthy last year the whole year I don't see any game in which we lost that we would have won if he was playing. He is not the game changer people believe he is. The Jets biggest concern should be finding the QB who is. Revis is replaceable and I know that b/c he was replaced last year and the secondary didn't miss a beat. You can't argue with facts and statistics.
    Rex needed shutdown CB's a few years to get out of the AFC with Peyton on the Colts. Between that team's makeup changing and the rules making it nearly impossible to defend a WR legally, CB's value has definitely dropped the last few years making the position anachronistic. Revis needs to learn it's a new day in the NFL
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 03-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Must have missed that. But that is an absolute layup.

Eli Manning. - Toyota commercials. Oreo commercials. Pepsi commercial. TWO TIME SB CHAMPION!!!!! TWO TIME SB MVP!!!!!!! QUARTERBACK!!!!!

Winning improves marketability

Get a clue. One person agreeing you and you are as proud as a peacock.
    Sanchez, and Tebow are way more marketable than Revis. Everyone knows who they are. If they were good it would be gravy. I'll bet Sanchez, and Tebow are more globally recognizable than even Eli. I doubt he gets Pepsi, or Oreo if he wasn't someone's brother. You know, the one with personality? You have to be good looking, and/or have a personality to have a brand. Hell I'll bet Braylon, Bart, and Mangold are all picked out of a lineup before Revis.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 03-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Rex needed shutdown CB's a few years to get out of the AFC with Peyton on the Colts. Between that team's makeup changing and the rules making it nearly impossible to defend a WR legally, CB's value has definitely dropped the last few years making the position anachronistic. Revis needs to learn it's a new day in the NFL
    He doesn't need to learn it, and I'll bet good money that he doesn't until he actually goes unsigned as a FA. That is if some idiot owner doesn't pony up the money. I can see Revis going for a reasonable long term front loaded contract, and then hold out as soon as the lower base salaries kick in. In the mean time Jet fans will see a 12mil per year average, and go nuts. Just wait and see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He doesn't need to learn it, and I'll bet good money that he doesn't until he actually goes unsigned as a FA. That is if some idiot owner doesn't pony up the money. I can see Revis going for a reasonable long term front loaded contract, and then hold out as soon as the lower base salaries kick in. In the mean time Jet fans will see a 12mil per year average, and go nuts. Just wait and see.
    Agreed. Zebra meet stripes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I bet any future contract Revis gets has a hold out clause the teams are wise to him now..

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Revis is one of them. Since his 2009 Season, he has been widely considered top 3-5 defensive players in the league, top cb in the league and possible the goat. If he doesn't fit that bill I don't know who does.
    The evidence is clear. REVIS does not command marketability like Brady, Eli, Peyton etc.

he doesn't speak well, he holds out, suspicious dizzy spells etc.

No BRAND wants Revis as their role model right now, later maybe.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis has the wrong people in his ear, whether its his agent or his family I don't know, but this "I need to be the highest paid defensive player by $1" stuff is off-putting.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still waiting to hear the last team to win a Super Bowl led by their Cornerback.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear the last team to win a Super Bowl led by their Cornerback. Who held out and demanded outrageous monies crippling the teams ability to bring in other players.
    Edit.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Revis "Brand" <chuckles>

There is no such thing. It is an invention of internet message board posters who are still trying to win a debate from somewhere over the last few years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The Revis "Brand" <chuckles>

There is no such thing. It is an invention of internet message board posters who are still trying to win a debate from somewhere over the last few years.
    LOL, wow you are you full of yourself.

There is no debate

It's a factor that I believe is present in the negotiations of any trade, and in the contract extension negotiations with Revis and his team.

Don't believe it? That's fine, there is nothing to win here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Considering you fawn over Mark Sanchez I can't really say that I'm surprised to hear this from you. Then again, you've been quiet on that subject so this might be your new "schtick" to go along with your endless blasting of Rex coming out for the first time.

Is he a greedy little pr*ck? Yes. Is he also a great shutdown cornerback? Absolutely.
    There's no question he is a great player, but I don't watch him play and say to myself that he's some immortal, the DB equivalent of Walter Payton or Peyton Manning or Joe Namath or Mickey Mantle or Mark Messier.

Great player, happy to have him, but watching him go isn't like the Red Sox shipping off Babe Ruth in his prime.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand what is meant by the Revis Brand. I do not find him a marketable commodity at all. Fans are not going to buy season tickets to watch a CB play football. The guy is on the TV screen for 6 plays a game. In NY he is maybe a brand, nationally he has a nickname.

Dion Sanders is a Brand, not because of his great play, but because of his persona. Likewise Ray Lewis, the notoriety and then the demonstrations on the field.

Ed Reed does not have a "brand", Jared Allen does not have a brand.

Revis will help a team win, that is his only value outside NY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't understand what is meant by the Revis Brand. I do not find him a marketable commodity at all. Fans are not going to buy season tickets to watch a CB play football. The guy is on the TV screen for 6 plays a game. In NY he is maybe a brand, nationally he has a nickname.

Dion Sanders is a Brand, not because of his great play, but because of his persona. Likewise Ray Lewis, the notoriety and then the demonstrations on the field.

Ed Reed does not have a "brand", Jared Allen does not have a brand.

Revis will help a team win, that is his only value outside NY
    Agreed.