Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Revis' brand and why it has more value than his football ability

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear the last team to win a Super Bowl led by their Cornerback.
    +1

And forget Super Bowls, how about regular seasons? I'd just take that.

Let us not forget that the Jets are on an 0-7 losing streak against teams with winning records with Darrelle Revis on the field. And since his injury, we're 1-4 against winning teams which is actually better if you can believe it.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Could somebody please enlighten us and explain just what the hell the 'Revis Brand" is?
    have you ever heard of revis island?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    Yeah, like when we had a good defense and could beat teams with winning records.

But it was so long ago I can't remember it, it's pretty fuzzy.

Today, "Revis Island" means "throw the ball somewhere else, and you'll win the game anyway".

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL, wow you are you full of yourself.

There is no debate

It's a factor that I believe is present in the negotiations of any trade, and in the contract extension negotiations with Revis and his team.

Don't believe it? That's fine, there is nothing to win here.
    You really need to lighten up on the rolleyes Ray. You use them too often.

What you believe is what you believe. There really is no evidence to support the idea as far as I can see. Great player. Pretty spotty reputation with many (or even most of the fans). We are not stupid and we know that team Revis plays us every time there is a contract negotiation which is pretty much every year. Nobody else has done that in my memory with the Jets. His brand is tarnished by that even if there was a chance for a brand to begin with. I know plenty of Jets fans who think he has been something of a poison on the team for that reason alone.

He has been injured more than once and so there are very real questions about his long term durability and yet he still wants to be paid as if he were one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL. Very selfish. Especially when juxtaposed against stories from around the NFL of other players accepting less in order for the team to be able to get other players signed. I think the whole Revis "brand" idea is a crock invented by his marketing machine and I think you are buying that.

I do not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    That is not a brand, that is a nickname. When you mention Revis, what kind of car do you picture? what lifestyle? What type of personality?

Manning is the guy next door who made big, Sanders is prime time - Loud, out front- Flash. Brady- Sophisticated, Urbane, high society.
    Last edited by patman; 03-25-2013 at 11:59 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, Revis isn't exactly a hit with corporate endorsements.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    That is not a brand, that is a nickname.
    it started out as a nickname

http://www.trademarkia.com/revis-island-77907325.html

http://www.nicekicks.com/2012/12/nik...-release-date/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. so when a guy mentions Revis to you you think of a black sneaker and a trademark application. Again a Brand is something akin to brand association.
    What is a "Revis vacation" Manning is Disney-Hawaii, Sanders is Vegas;New Orleans, Brady is St Moritz-Paris

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Oh. so when a guy mentions Revis to you you think of a black sneaker and a trademark application. Again a Brand is something akin to brand association.
    What is a "Revis vacation" Manning is Disney-Hawaii, Sanders is Vegas;New Orleans, Brady is St Moritz-Paris
    you're right, revis will never be as marketable as manning or brady, or pretty much any QB for that matter. but as far as defensive players go, he's pretty high up there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You really need to lighten up on the rolleyes Ray. You use them too often.

What you believe is what you believe. There really is no evidence to support the idea as far as I can see. Great player. Pretty spotty reputation with many (or even most of the fans). We are not stupid and we know that team Revis plays us every time there is a contract negotiation which is pretty much every year. Nobody else has done that in my memory with the Jets. His brand is tarnished by that even if there was a chance for a brand to begin with. I know plenty of Jets fans who think he has been something of a poison on the team for that reason alone.

He has been injured more than once and so there are very real questions about his long term durability and yet he still wants to be paid as if he were one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL. Very selfish. Especially when juxtaposed against stories from around the NFL of other players accepting less in order for the team to be able to get other players signed. I think the whole Revis "brand" idea is a crock invented by his marketing machine and I think you are buying that.

I do not.
    Great post, sums up the average Jets fan's perspective very nicely.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    By the way, Revis isn't exactly a hit with corporate endorsements.
    That's because while people appreciate him, they don't like him.

I have a 12 year old son. As a treat, decided to get him a new custom Nike jersey on opening day last year. They do it while you wait, takes 20 minutes. Took him forever to decide which player to get, finally settled on Coples. When I asked him why he didn't take a Revis or, for that matter, why out of his 3 other Jets jersey's he has no Revis he responded "because he is always leaving".

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In politics this would be called having high negatives. It is what it is and it has helped him to some very large paydays with the Jets but it is an anathema for someone who is looking to market himself as a product or brand.

lots
    of
    people
    don't
    him.

Lots.

Bo knows, he ain't no Bo.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Revis is worth the money he's asking for.......
    Did I miss a 100% comeback guarrantee to the same Revis he was before?!?!?! THAT'S WHAT'S DRIVING ME NUTS, SO MANY POSTERS MAKING ARGUMENTS BASED ON THE PAST REVIS! How the hell do we know he's the same guy!?!?!?!

Just about everyone never, EVER brings that up in their posts!!! Why?

I think it's pretty important to note we aren't talking about a hangnail here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis has next to zero marketability. What has he done, a couple local car dealer commercials? Come on now, he has no benefit in a nY market vs somewhere else. Deion Sanders was an awesome CB, but alot of his legend came from his persona. Put it simply, if Revis had Deion's personality he'd probably have won a defensive MVP award by now. He'd also be making a killing on endorsements and we'd see him on tv 10 times a day. Darrelle isn't a moron or a lump on a log, but he's not the sharpest tack in the drawer either. His interviews are usually dry, and he's not very good at handling himself during a tough interview as evidenced by his outburst with Francesa. I agreed with his opinion on that interview, but as a pro he has to handle that better. Of course some will say Deion dumped a bucket of water on McCarver, but again Deion had charisma. He had a marketable persona that helped alot of people look the other way. Revis did that and he's football's Robbie Alomar because outside of the incident there's nothing there.

Deion also was determined to win championships. He wasn't loyal to a team much like Revis, but he was loyal to winning championships. Deion didn't go to the Cowboys because HE was the championship piece, he went to the Cowboys because they were already a SB caliber team that could take him there. Same goes for SF, and BAL. Hell I'll even throw WAS in there because at the time WAS was signing every star and on paper looked like a championship caliber team. He knew that SB's would serve to enhance his legend and marketability. Of course he got paid but it was clear that championships were first and formost. Revis wants to be paid. He wants to be known as the best CB in the league and get paid for it. Anything else beyond that falls as it may, including Super Bowls.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis has next to zero marketability. What has he done, a couple local car dealer commercials? Come on now, he has no benefit in a nY market vs somewhere else. Deion Sanders was an awesome CB, but alot of his legend came from his persona. Put it simply, if Revis had Deion's personality he'd probably have won a defensive MVP award by now. He'd also be making a killing on endorsements and we'd see him on tv 10 times a day. Darrelle isn't a moron or a lump on a log, but he's not the sharpest tack in the drawer either. His interviews are usually dry, and he's not very good at handling himself during a tough interview as evidenced by his outburst with Francesa. I agreed with his opinion on that interview, but as a pro he has to handle that better. Of course some will say Deion dumped a bucket of water on McCarver, but again Deion had charisma. He had a marketable persona that helped alot of people look the other way. Revis did that and he's football's Robbie Alomar because outside of the incident there's nothing there.

Deion also was determined to win championships. He wasn't loyal to a team much like Revis, but he was loyal to winning championships. Deion didn't go to the Cowboys because HE was the championship piece, he went to the Cowboys because they were already a SB caliber team that could take him there. Same goes for SF, and BAL. Hell I'll even throw WAS in there because at the time WAS was signing every star and on paper looked like a championship caliber team. He knew that SB's would serve to enhance his legend and marketability. Of course he got paid but it was clear that championships were first and formost. Revis wants to be paid. He wants to be known as the best CB in the league and get paid for it. Anything else beyond that falls as it may, including Super Bowls.
    And there in a nutshell you have it. Well said Snell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Deon had star status only because he was he was pretty good in baseball and played both sports at a high level.. Other than Bo Jackson, no one else could really do it.. Deon wasn't a team player, it was always about him.. He was a good return man, had a great dance, liked to talk about how great he was.. He wasn't respected like his teammates the way Revis is..Every star athlete wants to get paid.. It seem the Jets will overpay for scrubs like sanchez or trouble makers like Holmes, but don't like paying the star of the team.. Id be pissed too if I were Revis, he stops teams from scoring only to watch Sanchez take the ball and throw a pick 6, or int that sets up a easy score.. And he has to think, they are paying this guy more than me? Im in favor of trading Revis, only because MT and #6 have messed up this team so bad we cant afford the luxury of the best CB maybe ever..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Did I miss a 100% comeback guarrantee to the same Revis he was before?!?!?! THAT'S WHAT'S DRIVING ME NUTS, SO MANY POSTERS MAKING ARGUMENTS BASED ON THE PAST REVIS! How the hell do we know he's the same guy!?!?!?!

Just about everyone never, EVER brings that up in their posts!!! Why?

I think it's pretty important to note we aren't talking about a hangnail here.
    That's because everyone is assuming (including myself) that he'll return to top form. It's a good bet IMO. He's a great player and he knows it.

For me, if the Jets were to resign him, I would want some incentives when he comes back that only come due if he does return to top form.

I don't doubt he'd return to top form at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Deon had star status only because he was he was pretty good in baseball and played both sports at a high level.. Other than Bo Jackson, no one else could really do it.. Deon wasn't a team player, it was always about him.. He was a good return man, had a great dance, liked to talk about how great he was.. He wasn't respected like his teammates the way Revis is..Every star athlete wants to get paid.. It seem the Jets will overpay for scrubs like sanchez or trouble makers like Holmes, but don't like paying the star of the team.. Id be pissed too if I were Revis, he stops teams from scoring only to watch Sanchez take the ball and throw a pick 6, or int that sets up a easy score.. And he has to think, they are paying this guy more than me? Im in favor of trading Revis, only because MT and #6 have messed up this team so bad we cant afford the luxury of the best CB maybe ever..
    Nonsense. Deion was a superstar at Florida State. He branded himself before he was even a pro. He was picked 5th overall solely for the fact it was known he wanted to play both sports, or else there was a good chance he would have gone 2nd overall (Cowboys were going Aikman all the way, they needed a QB). He was nearly a household name simply because of his persona. The fact he also played baseball actually hurt his persona a bit because fans from both sports wanted him to focus solely on one or the other. The guy did everything to make himself marketable. He was a phenominal player and athlete, but his persona is why people say pretty much undoubtedly he was the best CB of all time. He was an awesome CB, but he probably was not the best of all time. But people just assume he was because he marketed himself constantly. He also knew that the best way to stay in that spotlight was to play in the big games. Win Superbowls-be famous. It's as simple as that. While I will respectfully disagree with your assessment he was a bad teammate (you'll never find one teammate of his that said that, but I digress), this is not the argument here. This argument is about the Revis "brand" which I am stating he has no brand. He's a great football player. Most football fans know that. But a brand goes beyond that. A player's "brand" can make a decent football player seem great (Eli for example, Donovan McNabb...etc), and it can propel a great player to legendary status. Their brand is what makes them famous to those outside of the NFL fan community. A brand is what makes your wife recognize him out of uniform.

Hell, go look at comments from fans of teams that Revis had been rumored to go to. There's a ton of "not worth a 1st, not even the best CB in the game, overrated, give the Jets a 3rd round pick at most....." comments. Why? We know he's the best. There's no doubt he's the best. So why would fans from other teams say things like this? Because Revis has no brand what so ever. None. If Revis had charisma, he'd have a brand. There'd be Revis Island commercials everywhere. But he doesn't. And that won't change no matter where he goes. Even as the "king" in Tampa Bay he'll have a couple local 2nd rate shot commercials with some overweight car dealership owner telling you to come "pick off" these great deals today. But he will never have the national Oldsmobile commercials, the discount double-check, the Pepsi commercials, etc. If he can't garner those in NY he ain't getting them anywhere. Hell, he couldn't even get a "not in my house" Dikembe Mutombo commercial that pokes fun at him because he's about as personable as a slab of sheetrock.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    He does not stop teams from scoring. He imply does not do that. It is a myth created by the Revis spin machine. At best he shuts down his guy and that is not the same thing at all.

No cornerback in today's NFL is worth what he is asking. Nobody. He is a cornerback who has been fortunate enough to be overpaid in a time when Al Davis created a CB market bubble almost single handed. Now he needs to accept a pay cut or leave. I would love to be able to sell my house for the price it would have brought 4 years ago but that simply is not where the market is right now. Any team that pays this much is committing cap suicide and the only guarantee in my opinion is that they will have an insufficient amount of cap dollars to pay a premium QB, WRs, LT and Pass Rushers if they should be lucky enough to acquire all of those.

Revis is not worth what he is reported to be asking for.

Period.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    In politics this would be called having high negatives. It is what it is and it has helped him to some very large paydays with the Jets but it is an anathema for someone who is looking to market himself as a product or brand.

lots
    of
    people
    don't
    him.

Lots.

Bo knows, he ain't no Bo.
    Agreed. I would say he has been managed poorly and his greed has almost certainly cost him money.